Duty Glock 22+Balor/RMR+duty holster options.

DepJ136

Hello all, looking to see if anyone has any information, before I make a significant monetary committment.

Current duty pistol is Glock 22 Gen 4, and it's not looking like we will be entertaining the idea of different guns or calibers anytime soon. Milling the slide is an absolute no, Sheriff will not go for it. So I'm stuck with Balor mount, or something similar. Optic will be an RMR, as it appears Aimpoint needs to work on the acro's battery life.

Does anyone have an idea of optic durability of Type 2 RMR's on .40 guns. I realize Landfair is stuck in .40 land as well. Also does a Glock with Balor/RMR fit in Safariland RDS duty holsters?

David Mayeur

To my knowledge, the Balor only works with ALS only RDS holsters and will not clear the SLS mechanism.

RMR's can tolerate .40 S&W.

JLL2013

The ACRO was specifically tested with/to withstand .40 according to Aimpoint's PR so it may ironically be the best choice.
You can't control when an RMR breaks but you can control when a battery is changed.

Fatboy

Established
RMR's are fine on .40, just change the batteries every 6 months/ year. Also maybe look at the Dueck Defense mount for RMR's, I believe they are compatible with most appropriate Safariland holsters.

WAVandal

Will they let you buy and cut your own slide? I can understand them not wanting you to mill a company slide, my agency is that way. They have no issues if I pick up a slide from Big Tex Outdoors and have it milled on my dime.

Brad Trittipo

I can confirm that the Balor on a G22 will only work in a ALS only holster. SLS drags on the rear mount of Balor and causes issues. If there was a way to make the pistol set about a 1/4" lower in the holster it would work with the SLS.

I tested a Holosun 407c on a Balor and didn't have issues until the Balor started shifting in the rear sight dovetail. The only way I discovered the issue was the zero kept changing. The Balor was installed with blue loctite and all screws were tightened until the allen wrench slightly bent when pressure was applied to the farthest point on the long arm. The mount was set for 2-3 weeks before being taken to the range. The screws did not fail, and all screws were still tight, including the RMR screws. The mount started moving laterally in the dovetail. After shooting 4 mags of 180 and 165 gr FMJ the RMR mount could be moved by hand back and forth in the dovetail. The sight screws were still tight. Significant pressure was still needed to remove the screws in the mount when I removed it and loctite was visible on the threads.

I would recommend shooting as many rounds as possible before placing the combination in service for duty.

My G22 is a early 2000 Gen 3, so the dovetail could be a dimension that Raven did not expect. This same G22 has ran it's entire life with a weapon light attached with no issues, so it is an oddity when it comes to Gen 3 G22s.

DepJ136

RDS G22 (1) V2.jpgRDS Holster.jpgRDS G22 (2).jpg

So others can use this as a reference. Glock 22 Gen 4 w/ RMR RM06 Type 2 on Raven Concealment Balor mount. All screws were secured with blue loctite and witness marked. 450 rounds through this setup, no re-tightening needed, and it held zero. Carried on duty, and it has shot some local competition. RMR was mounted on a Glock 17 Gen 3 milled slide prior to this with about 1200 rounds of 9mm NATO through it. Safariland 6390RDS has worked great, no issues. I'll update if any issues pop up, or I get a higher round count. So far seems like a solid alternative, if you cant't get a department gun milled, and don't want to shell out the cash for another slide.

DepJ136

I can confirm that the Balor on a G22 will only work in a ALS only holster. SLS drags on the rear mount of Balor and causes issues. If there was a way to make the pistol set about a 1/4" lower in the holster it would work with the SLS.

I tested a Holosun 407c on a Balor and didn't have issues until the Balor started shifting in the rear sight dovetail. The only way I discovered the issue was the zero kept changing. The Balor was installed with blue loctite and all screws were tightened until the allen wrench slightly bent when pressure was applied to the farthest point on the long arm. The mount was set for 2-3 weeks before being taken to the range. The screws did not fail, and all screws were still tight, including the RMR screws. The mount started moving laterally in the dovetail. After shooting 4 mags of 180 and 165 gr FMJ the RMR mount could be moved by hand back and forth in the dovetail. The sight screws were still tight. Significant pressure was still needed to remove the screws in the mount when I removed it and loctite was visible on the threads.

I would recommend shooting as many rounds as possible before placing the combination in service for duty.

My G22 is a early 2000 Gen 3, so the dovetail could be a dimension that Raven did not expect. This same G22 has ran it's entire life with a weapon light attached with no issues, so it is an oddity when it comes to Gen 3 G22s.

My Balor installed really tight in the dovetail on the Gen4 slide. So we'll see I guess.