Duty Belt Pads

Boy Scout

Greetings all,

I'm switching back to a LE position where I have to wear a full duty belt again. I've been used to wearing a much lower profile belt with only a holster, airweight baton, cuff pouch, an AR mag pouch and two pistol mag pouches on it. I've been wearing the rest of my gear on a MOLLE outer carrier. The new position requires a polo shirt and full duty belt.

I've never really loved the weight of a full belt and I've been spoiled the last 10 years. I'm looking into getting a duty belt pad of some sort to help out. After some research this is what I've found that I might be interested in. Please let me know if you have any experience with them or any recommendations.

1. HSGI Micro Grip Belt Panel
2. HSGI Duty Grip Padded Belt
3. Wilder Tactical Belt Pad (looks to be the exact same thing as #2)
4. Emdom/MM Belt Pads
5. Tyr Gunfighter Belt Pad
6. US Grunt Gear Pro Grunt Belt/Pad
7. Snake Eater Tactical War Belt Pad

That's really about all the ones of interest. I've worn a VTAC Brokos and a couple of other larger battle belts, and I'm trying to stay lower profile. My desired specs would be:

1. No more than 2" wide
2. Have built in loops like HSGI/Wilder
3. Breathable fabric finish
4. No more than 1/4" padding

Points of information: I'm not opposed to a whole new belt/kit purchase. I've been wearing either an unlined 1.75" cobra belt or a loop-backed 2" nylon duty belt. Would like to be able to wear belt keepers. None of my desired specs are written in stone, but overall width is highest priority. Pad doesn't have to be hidden.

Loadout: (From 12 o'clock clockwise) TQ, cuff pouch, holster, baton, cuff pouch, (open space 5:00 - 7:00,) flashlight, radio, TASER, mag pouch

Duties: LOTS of walking, bike patrol, Segway (yes, Paul Blart Segway, don't hate - it's fun!) and the patrol car.

Thanks in advance!

Jamie

Ryan St.Jean

I would suggest adding the Ronin Tactics belt line to your list of potential options. A buddy from work (who doesn't have kids) got one and really likes it.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
I would suggest adding the Ronin Tactics belt line to your list of potential options. A buddy from work (who doesn't have kids) got one and really likes it.
There’s no padding on the Ronin. I get the feeling he wants cushion more than a molle battle belt.

Boy Scout

/\ I looked at that one, but it's 4" wide, I'd like to come down to no more than about 2.25" AresGear Jake, you could make a killing with these if you had the time! Lots of cops getting into them. Width and thickness end up being the killer for a lot of guys.

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
/\ I looked at that one, but it's 4" wide, I'd like to come down to no more than about 2.25" AresGear Jake, you could make a killing with these if you had the time! Lots of cops getting into them. Width and thickness end up being the killer for a lot of guys.

I appreciate your confidence in us, but a) I’d have to charge way more than TT does, b) I don’t think it’s a good product if you have a stiff belt on a quality inner with good keepers, and c) this is something we’ve already done for people against my instincts, and nobody actually wanted it in the long run.

2.25” is not wide enough to actually work as a pad long-term. That’s why the TT works, and is also the single largest issue with belt pads; when you use a narrow pad, it’s a bad pad. When you use a wide pad, it restricts the wearer’s mobility and gets in the way.

I’ve rarely found more bulk to be the answer, even when it’s bulk via padding; there are exceptions, but as a rule, more bulk ends up being a bigger hassle in the long run than whatever you were trying to fix in the first place.

SCSU74

Are you against suspenders? I've been wearing a back defender for 8ish years and it takes all the weight off your hips/back. it also allows you to wear your belt looser than normal so the need for a pad is pretty much eliminated. I commonly wear a duty belt for 18-20 hours several times a week and I have 0 back/hip pain.

Thought I'd throw it out there if you like your current belt.

Boy Scout

Suspenders are allowed by the agency, but I've never given them a real college try. I've tried some on before and didn't like the way they felt on my shoulders/shoulder blades. I've worn an outer carrier for years, so go figure. I may look at them again.

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
If you have an outer carrier, I'd try those suspenders again. Different types will hit your shoulders differently, too.

Grizzly

Does anyone know of a company making (or will make) suspenders in Green? Especially if it matches with blauer's green color so it blends in better? I wouldn't mind trying a pair under our external carriers but not sure how kosher having the black straps showing would be.

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
Does anyone know of a company making (or will make) suspenders in Green? Especially if it matches with blauer's green color so it blends in better? I wouldn't mind trying a pair under our external carriers but not sure how kosher having the black straps showing would be.

1 - I don't know which green Blauer uses.

2 - The most low-profile and comfortable suspenders I've found are the SOC-C suspenders from Blue Force Gear. I have no idea if they'll make them in green for you; I have a green set from a few years ago, and I see that they still sell them, although green is not one of the listed colors.

WORST case, I'm sure you can find a custom gear shop who can make you something similar if BFG refuses to make them in green...but give BFG a chance first.

Grizzly

1 - I don't know which green Blauer uses.

2 - The most low-profile and comfortable suspenders I've found are the SOC-C suspenders from Blue Force Gear. I have no idea if they'll make them in green for you; I have a green set from a few years ago, and I see that they still sell them, although green is not one of the listed colors.

WORST case, I'm sure you can find a custom gear shop who can make you something similar if BFG refuses to make them in green...but give BFG a chance first.
Good to know, I've emailed them to see if they'll have anything close in stock again.

SCSU74

The ones I wear from back defender are completely concealed. They can use whatever keepers you want and that will be the only part visible. They're excellent.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
Tactical Tailors LE suspenders + Ares Gear LE Duty Belt + First Spear pads on hips = a success.

I currently wear an external vest, but before that this setup is what I wore.

Seth Thompson

I've been using a Back Defender setup under a slick external vest, with a fully loaded duty belt, for two years. Love it, definitely unloads your hips and lower back, and has been a durable item.

As an extra added bonus, my pants stay up and my shirt stays tucked in, while hiking trails or riding an ATV.