Duty Belt/Micro Duty Belt/Battle Belt

JS1

Amateur
I'm in the market for a duty belt/micro duty belt/battle belt or whatever the going term is these days. I want a cobra buckle for ease of use and velcro on the inside to mount some sort of pad/grip. Most of my gear had tek loks that can accommodate up to 2.25". What is the best belt on the market these days for this purpose? I've looked at TYR Tactical, Volund, Ares Gear, etc.

JS1

Amateur
I could take it or leave it. Right now, I don't have anything to mount with Molle.

JS1

Amateur
Awesome. I’ll look at these options and see what looks like it would work best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I wrong thinking that there are a lot of quality companies making this style of belt, with mostly granule differences between them?

I’ve been waffling between a Volund and Blue Alpha belt for like 6 months as an upgrade to my current range belt. Now I see Boxer Tactical belts on crazy liquidation sale at Trexico. Are there any bad belts to avoid, or could I just about pick one from any of the major players and be happy?

Joe _K

Established
Am I wrong thinking that there are a lot of quality companies making this style of belt, with mostly granule differences between them?

I’ve been waffling between a Volund and Blue Alpha belt for like 6 months as an upgrade to my current range belt. Now I see Boxer Tactical belts on crazy liquidation sale at Trexico. Are there any bad belts to avoid, or could I just about pick one from any of the major players and be happy?

I look for the following in a two belt system.

Quality of craftsmanship/stitching.

Hook inner belt vs. Loop inner belt.

Feature set. (Do you need MOLLE? 1.5” vs. 1.75” vs. 2” vs. 2.25” widths etc)

Adjustment range. Will it go up and down in size with you based off of clothing layers for weather conditions, and weight changes.

Do the Buckle options cover what you’re after?

Stiffness/Flexibility balance based off of your needs, and preferences. If the belt is too stiff or too flexible, the belt will more than likely be very uncomfortable.
Not stiff enough/not flexible enough either won’t carry the gear you need it to, or again, will be uncomfortable.

Warranty. What does it cover?

I can only speak from my experience with Volundgear.
They have been my go to belt provider for the past 5 years. They have most of the options I’m looking for in a gun belt/duty belt/everyday belt, and as long as they make something that covers your needs and you order the right belt for the given task, in the right size, I don’t think you can go wrong with them.

Last edited:
I look for the following in a two system belt.

Adjustment range. Will it go up and down in size with you based off of clothing layers for weather conditions, and weight changes.

Stiffness/Flexibility balance based off of your needs, and preferences. If the belt is too stiff or too flexible, the belt will more than likely be very uncomfortable.
Not stiff enough/not flexible enough either won’t carry the gear you need it to, or again, will be uncomfortable.

They have been my go to belt provider for the past 5 years. They have most of the options I’m looking for in a gun belt/duty belt/everyday belt, and as long as they make something that covers your needs and you order the right belt for the given task, in the right size, I don’t think you can go wrong with them.

I appreciate the help with asking the right questions. Right off the bat I now have a hang up with Volund, my current mag pouches can only fit up to a 1.75” belt. I could buy MOLLE attachments for them. Not a deal breaker, but certainly a “stop and think” moment.

Buckle I feel pretty ambivalent on. This is 95% range belt, 2% class, 3% hunting. Seems like Cobra is the standard, but I can’t say something like the plastic one from Volund wouldn’t work for me if it were an option to save money.

I will look deeper at warranty and adjustment length going forward.

Joe _K

Established
If it won’t work with what you already have that would probably be a deal breaker for me too, unless you’re willing to change everything up. I’m wearing a Biothane 1.5” Cobra Buckle belt from Volund works right now as I type this. Not sure if they offer this model in a two belt system as an option or not.

David Mayeur

AWS LAB is what you want.

Any MOLLE pouches can be attached to an inner/outer belt system with VELCRO One-Wrap.

People make this stuff too complicated.

I'll post some photos when I get to the house. The outer belt and inner belt were a whopping $60 together. They are also the same folks who make the $200+ Ronin Tactics belts.

user12358

Another vote for the Ronin. The Task Force/Senshi if you need the D-ring or the Shuto if you don't. Using the WTFix straps to directly attach to the MOLLE of the outer belt gives it the most secure hold on the inner belt and is the lowest profile mounting solution short of just running a riggers belt like an Arcteryx E220 through your pant loops.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
I picked up a VTAC Raze belt last week. It’s definitely not as thick/stiff as the Ronin. It was significantly cheaper in fairness. The webbing is looser by far and as a result it’s significantly easier to mount pouches than the Ronin style.

David Mayeur

AWS Lightweight Assaulter Belt (LAB)

The inner and outer belt are included, the D-Ring Cobra buckle wrapped with cord was an option I added.

32219856977_5005b623ef_c.jpg

47109724222_0fd7f043a6_c.jpg

Michael Ray

Vendor
I look for the following in a two belt system.

Why hook inner vs loop inner? I wore a hook inner with an old gen ARES duty belt for several years and it sucked the whole time when the outer belt was off. Or is that not what you're saying?

Boy Scout

Agreed. Hook underbelts suck when not wearing your outer belt, and tend to tear up your pants and other clothing faster than hook-lined outer belts. What’s nice about loop-inner/hook-outer belts is that you can wear your regular pants and holster set up without tearing up your clothes, then put on your outer belt as necessary. Hook-outer belts (well, any Velcro line belt, really) also allow you to Velcro a pad to the inside to use as a mini battle belt or to wear over heavier layers.

Wearing a thin, semi-rigid, wide (1.75”), cinchable nylon underbelt has definitely helped alleviate some back pain from a duty belt the last 16 years. I started off with a 1.5” belt and it just allowed the 2.25” leather gunbelt dig into me. That being said, I still wear that under belt, but I’ve switched to wider neoprene belt pad the last couple years. It’s by far been the best double belt set up over ever had.

Duty belts have been doing this for decades but technology of the belt material, pouches and attachment methods have just now caught up.

I’ll swing back in and throw some links up for all my research I’ve done trying to find my Grail belt. (Which who knows if I have or not, LOL)