Draw speed from safariland 6360

Glock26

Im a new instructor at my department (doing it about a year now) something I noticed during quals last year was the really slow draws from our 6360 holsters along the lines of 2.5 to 3 seconds from the buzzer to the first shot (to be honest I'm the only instructor that uses a shot timer most just guess and say good enough I'm slowly getting them back to the shot timer) when I have my shit together I can do 1.60 sec from the buzzer but usually 1.70 to 1.80 is "normal" during dry fire. I'm not really sure what's considered "fast" from this kind of holster I just know (think?) that sub second like those instagram guys probably isn't going to happen. So what do you guys consider "fast"? I have some drills that I have found to work on speed to try and speed my officers up. Is there any drills you guys know that can help with speed? Accuracy is something we work on a lot but their speed is lacking. (If it matters my dryfire practice is a tq-22 set at 4 yards going for center mass)

Arete

What I'm about to describe will take .5 second or more off your draw time. I've taught it to my guys and it works for them, too.

As your hand comes down to the gun to establish the firing grip, the thumb rotates the hood forward and as this happens, the thumb continues down and forward and engages the ALS button. This releases both retention devices in 1 motion instead of 2. If you do it in 2 steps the best you can get it about 1.7 seconds from buzzer to 1st shot. Doing this can get you down to 1.2.

In live fire I have a consistent 1.1 draw to 1st shot time on an A zone at 7 yds. I do Bill Drills in 1.9 to 2.1 repeatedly. Last week on the range, I was repeatedly achieving 1.7 seconds on Dave Spaulding's 2-2-2- drill (draw, fire 2 on a 3x5 card at 20 feet in 2 seconds or less) with a 1st shot in 1.3 (the smaller target slows me down just a bit).

In dry fire I can do .8 draw to trigger press and still call a good shots in the A zone at 5 yds.

Hope that helps.

Glock26

Thank you it did help a lot. I was already doing that method to draw although something I wasn't doing was driving my hand down as hard as you said I tried it last night and was able to hit 1.36 a few times. So I have something to work to and something to show my officers. Thanks again

KUTF

Are the slower draw times at longer distances or on stages where officers have "plenty" of time to meet the par time?

I think this is likely a training scar, officers feeling like they have extra time, and instead of a good, fast, smooth drawstroke (what I explain as a "fighting" or "combat" drawstroke during monthly range sessions) they lolly-gag that thing out of the holster, wasting time that could be better spent improving their hits, and getting more of them.

As I explain it, there is only ONE speed at which you defeat the retention & clear the pistol from the holster - like your life depends on it. Even during "slow fire" drills that needs to happen like you mean it.... it's the rest of the process - continuing to a ready position, aiming-in on target, shots, etc, that can be modulated as necessary based on requirements.

Push your officers to get away from an "admin drawstroke" mentality and put them on a shot-timer and you'll be surprised how quickly they can improve their drawstroke.

Also, that little triangle on the rear edge of the hood? See if hitting that instead of the larger flat surface makes things swing down & away more efficiently...