does our choice in apparel give away our advantage?

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
I think it’s easily recognizable in the tactical community but not in the every day community. Is there really that much difference between an alpha LT and a Beta LT? Not really. There’s always black in both lines. There’s always a wolf/gray in both lines. Atoms are generally the same in both lines (yes gen 2 just changed) but is a chest pocket enough for someone to know it’s different?

It’s probably just recognizable as a premium brand not as tactical gear.

What's everyones thoughts on arc'teryx LEAF stuff? Is it yuppie camo or easily recognizable as the "evil" branch of arc'teryx?

If I see you wearing it, you're going to be noticeable to me. Chances are you'll be picked up by other folks be they LEO MIL or well informed criminal.

EDIT: I notice when folks are wearing regular Arcteryx. Shit's expensive and if you're wearing it, I'll spend an extra second "checking" you out.

David Mayeur

If I see you wearing it, you're going to be noticeable to me. Chances are you'll be picked up by other folks be they LEO MIL or well informed criminal.

EDIT: I notice when folks are wearing regular Arcteryx. Shit's expensive and if you're wearing it, I'll spend an extra second "checking" you out.

A LEAF Atom LT is essentially the same as a regular Atom LT sans deadbird logo. The Gen 2 is slightly different.

I don't think anyone is wearing a LEAF RECCE shirt around the mall.

It's the colors that initially catch my eye. I know the "tactical" color line. Black is slowest to pick up but the grey/green/brown?

Patagonia or North Face on the other hand is yuppie wear, and doesn't usually have me doing double takes.

EDIT: I know women are different than dudes in this regards, but I once had a lady pick out the brand of my boots. They were old and worn but well cared for, but she knew they were Danners because of the styling.

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
It's the colors that initially catch my eye. I know the "tactical" color line. Black is slowest to pick up but the grey/green/brown?
100% agree. Go to your local mall and look around you. How many people are wearing anything in OD green or FDE/Coyote or gray, and with no logos on it anywhere? It doesn't matter if your Arcteryx is LEAF or not, it stands out against the crowd. If you want actually blend in, wear a North Face, or Patagonia. Or a jacket with your local sportsball team on it.

MojoNixon

Established
So how unnoticeable is Wolf grey, now that it is becoming a more popular choice?
I’m so used to wearing greens and browns in Northern Nevada that I think I have become lazy in my color and style choices of clothing.
I want to be the guy no one notices but I’m far from it.

Honestly, if you're too unobservant to notice what passes for unobtrusive at the mall, go to the magazine rack at the grocery store.

Pick up some outdoor mags and some "lifestyle" mags. Flip through them, study what the models are wearing and copy them (if their style is relevant to your area). If you live in the wind river region of Wyoming, you're not going to swing the Zegna suit and Bruno monk strap shoes GQ look, but you can pull off the Carhartt "suit" and Red Wing boot look you saw in Cowboys & Indians magazine.

Can't edit my post, so an addendum.

You know what would be fun?

A "where's waldo" of a dude in "discreet" tactical clothes at the local mall (let's say the food court at lunch time). See how quick you spot them.

Also, remember the lone SAS dude who dealt with the issue in Nairobi, Kenya? What was he wearing? A god damn lavender shirt and skinny jeans. THAT's gray man.

MojoNixon

Established
I may have a good disguise kind of built in as due to multiple serious health issues in the past whenever I’m in a really crowded venue I use a cane (albeit a cane with a pair of steel rods for “internal support” in it). I probably get looked at more as a potential target/victim than as a possible threat to those that would try to victimize me.

David Mayeur

Some of you are taking this "grey man" thing a bit too serious. The point is blending in, not finding a person in a catalog to dress like.

I've seen local guys wearing TAD hoodies. I pointed one out and told my wife that I liked it. She asked "What's so special about it?" That's what everyone else around you thinks. The guy who wants to bash your head in and have a good time with your wife doesn't care about what you're wearing. He's looking to see if you're an easy target. Your mannerisms will play a much bigger part in that than you wearing an OD green shirt.

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
Some of you are taking this "grey man" thing a bit too serious. The point is blending in, not finding a person in a catalog to dress like.

I've seen local guys wearing TAD hoodies. I pointed one out and told my wife that I liked it. She asked "What's so special about it?" That's what everyone else around you thinks. The guy who wants to bash your head in and have a good time with your wife doesn't care about what you're wearing. He's looking to see if you're an easy target. Your mannerisms will play a much bigger part in that than you wearing an OD green shirt.

I think you missed the point. (or maybe I did, and that's always a possibility, so correct me if I'm wrong)

If you're wearing anything less obvious than an Art15/9-Line shirt that literally has a gun on it, you're going to fly under the radar of 99% of the people around you. You're meeting the bare minimum requirement for 'blending in', but anyone even halfway paying attention will know what's up. That's the clothing equivalent of carrying a KelTec P3AT in a front pocket. If you only encounter the usual bad guys you won't tip them off that you are a danger, but should we be preparing for the lowest common denominator? I'm not saying don't watch your mannerisms, I'm saying don't go through all the effort of good body language only to throw it all away in clothing selection.

Example 1: You yourself picked out at least one guy in your area wearing a TAD hoodie. You aren't a bad guy so it wasn't a big deal, but you didn't use any information that isn't easily found online with the simplest of google searches.

David Mayeur

I think you missed the point. (or maybe I did, and that's always a possibility, so correct me if I'm wrong)

If you're wearing anything less obvious than an Art15/9-Line shirt that literally has a gun on it, you're going to fly under the radar of 99% of the people around you. You're meeting the bare minimum requirement for 'blending in', but anyone even halfway paying attention will know what's up. That's the clothing equivalent of carrying a KelTec P3AT in a front pocket. If you only encounter the usual bad guys you won't tip them off that you are a danger, but should we be preparing for the lowest common denominator? I'm not saying don't watch your mannerisms, I'm saying don't go through all the effort of good body language only to throw it all away in clothing selection.

Example 1: You yourself picked out at least one guy in your area wearing a TAD hoodie. You aren't a bad guy so it wasn't a big deal, but you didn't use any information that isn't easily found online with the simplest of google searches.

I know of more guys that wear TAD and don't carry a gun than those who do. It's funny, because the majority of people wearing tactical clothing in a public setting are not the guys that I'd be worried about as a BG. They are usually the threeper derps. If you don't want attention, don't wear anything the layman would conceive as "tactical."

Orionz06

Staff member
Vendor
So how unnoticeable is Wolf grey, now that it is becoming a more popular choice?
I’m so used to wearing greens and browns in Northern Nevada that I think I have become lazy in my color and style choices of clothing.
I want to be the guy no one notices but I’m far from it.

There was a period about 12-18 months ago where North Face and others had a ton of grey in their fall line. Enough so that I stopped wearing a wolf Arc'teryx jacket because I didn't wanna look like the yuppie crowd.

I think lots of people are trying too hard and in turn getting things messed up. Just wear clothes. Go to the mall and just buy clothes that you like, you'll be fine.

Clothing choice absolutely matters; however the extent to which it matter varies from case to case. When overseas for longer periods of time the MO was to get off the plane and look around at what the locals are wearing, what bags they carry, and the general demeanor of folks. Clothing is part of the battle, how you carry yourself and interact with others is another factor that often gets overlooked.

David Mayeur

There was a period about 12-18 months ago where North Face and others had a ton of grey in their fall line. Enough so that I stopped wearing a wolf Arc'teryx jacket because I didn't wanna look like the yuppie crowd.

I think lots of people are trying too hard and in turn getting things messed up. Just wear clothes. Go to the mall and just buy clothes that you like, you'll be fine.

I agree.

Wearing a shirt that says I LOVE GUNS is a lot different than wearing an OD green hoodie with minimal markings. Arc'Teryx clothing is not common in my area, so the only people that know what it is are either cops or backpackers. The girl at the local seafood joint asked me what it was, because her friend from up North said it was good cold weather stuff and recognized the logo.

Wearing a Hawaiian shirt in January will get you more looks than a coyote tan jacket.

That screams new cop or Federal Agent. You have to say Federal Agent like they do on NCIS LA.

I usually look like a broke hiker or a broke farmer. I try hard not to where anything that gives away my profession. I don't leave the house in uniform or any part of it. Surprisingly shoes are a good indicator.

Lately our plain clothes guys and the SWAT guys have taken to wearing full beards and trucker hats from Patagonia or some fishing tackle company. With Carhartts in the winter. Once you pick up on the theme they get easy to spot.

The dead chicken is rare on civilians in the DC area even with the money. So are Solomans or at least the XA line.

What really gives it away are the pants. Then the "tacticool" color palette follows. I see more discount Academy fudd shirts than brand-name-company line gear (the "I'm carrying a Ruger LC9S in a nylon Blackhawk OWB holster" guy). But, it's the "I would EDC my truck, but I'm missing one additional pocket" brands of cargo pants / shorts that sets off assessment alarms. And, it might just be Louisiana. But, the "lower" the brand of pants/shorts, the lower the tier of handgun/holster they carry. Haha

But, that's us. We know what to look for based on what we would and wouldn't consider wearing.

Maybe start dressing like these special Gen-Z kids? Nobody would figure you carried a firearm then. It would hurt the soul though. Haha