DMR/ RECCE Rifle scope and handguard opinions

Mikey011

Kevin, well said. That's why I like the EBR over the EMR. I knew a Seal that used his as a primary CQB and Overwatch, the selector switch also gives the possibility of cover fire.

The new HKs and Knights DMRs on the AR platform are also very nice for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R. Moran

Staff member
Not to long ago, an experienced shooter, who most here would know, but I'll let him decide if he wants to chime in, told me to figure on 1.5-2X for every 100yds you plan to shoot. I get the feeling that many people are now going with the more X the better. But, that usually means more on the low end also.
I also know the off set RDS is all the rage, but I'm not a huge fan.
So, if you wanted to run one optic only, for a 5.56 precision type gun, would you still go with the 1.5-2x recommendation? My "precision" AR has an 18" criterion hybrid barrel, for now, with a Nightforce 2.5-10X24. wish I had it in the McPhee heavy carbine class I took.

KMo1205

For those who offset, do you place it on the 10'clock position or the 2'clock position for a right hand shooter?

rob_s

That's a great point. I didn't consider PID importance as I come from the civilian side of things.

PID may be even MORE important from our side of things, or less depending on your point of view.

If this rifle is something you think you might actually shoot another human with, it's likely more important.

If all you're doing is taking classes and punching paper and steel, it probably doesn't matter at all.

KevinB

Civilian PID is likely irrelevant with a rifle scope, I base than on the following:

If you needed magnification to make out a threat, it was probably not a threat to you, as your needed magnification to make a determination...
A longer distance threat to you, would not need optical PID, as you would have PID based on their actions.

IF you where scoping a target for PID - how would that look to any response forces? I would assume you where overwatch for the threat - as you where sitting back and "covering".

KMo1205

Maybe I'm lacking imagination, but I can't think of a situation were a civilian would need to engage targets out to 600 yards. The only scenario I can think of is SHTF or a civil unrest where there is no responding police force available and you are providing over watch. or maybe a rancher in Texas or Southwest state defending his property from drug runners trespassing from south of the boarder? But again, defending a leathal use of force at 600 yards would be pretty tricky in today's legal environment. Not to say civilians shouldn't be prepared for that engagement. Thoughts?