Discuss Staccato Options - Steel vs Alum/Barrel Coating/Grip Texture

Spencer

There are a few options when ordering a Staccato. I'm curious what the hive mind thinks about these different options, pros/cons, etc. Looks are personal preference, so I'm mostly interested in performance aspects. Thanks.

Aluminum vs Steel Frame

DLC coated barrel vs Stainless Steel

Standard vs Tac Grip Texture

Standard vs X-Series Serrations

pointblank4445

Established
There are a few options when ordering a Staccato. I'm curious what the hive mind thinks about these different options, pros/cons, etc. Looks are personal preference, so I'm mostly interested in performance aspects. Thanks.

Aluminum vs Steel Frame

DLC coated barrel vs Stainless Steel

Standard vs Tac Grip Texture

Standard vs X-Series Serrations

Al vs. Steel. How much does weight/oz matter? How much are you counting ounces?

Coating is aesthetics mostly. I like the look personally but if you're counting every nickel and dime, it can be skipped.

The standard texture is pretty "meh" but the texture service confuses me since you can send it to Darkside yourself for cheaper...or have someone else do it cheaper yet.

X-serrations are an aesthetic

Spencer

Al vs. Steel. How much does weight/oz matter? How much are you counting ounces?

Coating is aesthetics mostly. I like the look personally but if you're counting every nickel and dime, it can be skipped.

The standard texture is pretty "meh" but the texture service confuses me since you can send it to Darkside yourself for cheaper...or have someone else do it cheaper yet.

X-serrations are an aesthetic
Thanks for the information.

As far as the grip texture goes, it appears they are offering a new texture on the P series guns at no additional cost. It has a sandpaper/silicon carbide look to it in the pictures.

On the P series they have the steel weight listed at an ounce less than a Sig P226. The aluminum frame weighs about the same as a full size P320. Those comparisons are helping me with my decision. I thought they had a steel C2 as well, but the website is only offering aluminum, so I guess I was mistaken.

pointblank4445

Established
Thanks for the information.

As far as the grip texture goes, it appears they are offering a new texture on the P series guns at no additional cost. It has a sandpaper/silicon carbide look to it in the pictures.

On the P series they have the steel weight listed at an ounce less than a Sig P226. The aluminum frame weighs about the same as a full size P320. Those comparisons are helping me with my decision. I thought they had a steel C2 as well, but the website is only offering aluminum, so I guess I was mistaken.

The P in AL was a fairly recent development. Pretty sure the C2 is aluminum only.

I have a P in steel and a C2 in aluminum and there's a big difference between the two in weight.

IF I had it to do all over again, I'd go P in aluminum and put a C2 grip module on it (or have it as a spare) or run it without the magwell.

Txsapper

Amateur
When I purchased my P the steel was the only option. It was great for duty carry, but I transitioned to a job where I don’t wear a duty belt every day and it’s fairly heavy for plain clothes. I personally like the tac texture after handling the grip at TTPOA. I’m impatiently waiting for them to release the grip module by itself as I liked it more than the standard grip.

There new grip texture is very nice, I was handling a newer XC (that comes standard on that model). I prefer that over their G2 grip.

Steel vs aluminum, I just have the C2s, and use them for carry and training. They have just slightly more muzzle flip than the steel Staccato P. If this is a carry gun, I would vote for Aluminum. If for range and training, I would choose the Staccato P steel frame.

The DLC coating on the barrel is more cosmetic. It does look nice though with the DLC.

I don't care for the X serrations. I like how their regular serrations are done.

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
I've had a steel P and an aluminum C2. I can say I'd rather shoot the P, and rather carry the C2. There's no comparison in carry comfort with AIWB, the aluminum frame wins. Durability shouldn't be an issue in the real world.

Coatings are mostly going to be for looks unless you live in a very harsh enviornment and everything rusts quickly for you. Then maybe DLC would be worth it.

I haven't liked any of the Staccato textures I've gotten aside from the original tree bark on the 4.15" Ps. I had my grip reduced and retextured and it's vastly superior. I'd say if you want a reduced size grip, don't bother with getting the tactical texture, but if the stock size works, then that's not really an issue. Without handling the tactical texture, I couldn't give you a good opinion, but I know aftermarket work trumps the stock gen2 star grips.

Serrations are another issue of looks to me, as I can easily rack or check using the optic body.

GulfCoast

I am a fan of the DLC, since I live on the Gulf of Mexico, and everything rusts. The X-serrations are totally cosmetic, I would not spring for them again. I like the all steel P. I do not think the C2 was ever all steel, but I could be mistaken. I MUCH prefer the newest tactical texture vs. the more recent versions that are sort of like the star.