Direct mounting Streamlight RM2 tape switch

PatMcG

I posted on the facebook page about mounting the tape switch of a streamlight rm2 directly to a mlok rail without using a chunk of pic rail and the little rubber rail grabbers. Here's what I did. I ordered the screw and nut set from Magpul which came with two short and two long screws and two mlok nuts. I used a drill bit and by hand enlarged the two holes on each end of the switch so the screws would just barely fit. It took the longer two screws and I mounted it directly to the 12oclock of my alg rail. I've run 500 rounds this afternoon with it without problem. It is sturdier than the rubber rail grabbers. As far as voiding warranties, I really don't care personally.
f074f38e6afef24d401500bad193ff15.jpg
9f70a168789993b5a411048a4d6e7270.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HopsCop17

Amateur
I was just looking for the best way to mount one of these on a SLR Ion Ultra Light rail and think I am going to try this method. My set up is very similar to yours. How did you route the cable?

SK13R

Thanks for sharing this. This is the same rail and light I am planning on. It's good to see it completed successfully.

IkeInTexas

Vendor
VIP
Sweet! I've got that same rail and setup on one of the shop rifles. Definitely going to give this a try.

Ike

Joe _K

Established
Any potential issues with radiant heat affecting the switch? If there is, you might sandwich a layer of insulatory material between the rail and the switch.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
Violentia Operandi

IkeInTexas

Vendor
VIP
Any potential issues with radiant heat affecting the switch? If there is, you might sandwich a layer of insulatory material between the rail and the switch.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
Violentia Operandi

The ProTac 2 comes with some adhesive velcro to mount to the rail and switch. That might be enough to help. I haven't had an issue yet with my ALG rail but I also have the Magpul poly rails on it right now. I just swapped it over yesterday so I'll update if any issues come up. The rifle I'm using it on is my guinea pig rifle that I use to demo products so it sees a lot of use. We'll see how it does.

Ike

Joe _K

Established
The ProTac 2 comes with some adhesive velcro to mount to the rail and switch. That might be enough to help. I haven't had an issue yet with my ALG rail but I also have the Magpul poly rails on it right now. I just swapped it over yesterday so I'll update if any issues come up. The rifle I'm using it on is my guinea pig rifle that I use to demo products so it sees a lot of use. We'll see how it does.

Ike
Appreciate the info, looking at swapping my KMR-A 15" for an ALG EMR V2 MLOK 10-13" and putting a Streamlight on it similar to your setup.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
Violentia Operandi

PatMcG

The Cloud defensive mount would obviously be more solid but would require adding a chunk of pic rail to this particular rail. The purpose of direct mounting was to keep added stuff off the rail.

krax

If Cloud Defensive integrated a protective shroud into that mount that protected the constant-on switch I'd be all about it.

Rabbit

I just ordered the protac rail hl-x to compare to my surefire m600 scout. I'm going to mount my tape this way with keymod.

I know this is older, but I just found this after having some issues. Curious if you're running 18650 batteries or Cr123's. I had the same setup on my EMRV1 and after 700ish rounds started having connectivity problems using 123's and the light would flicker off every 5 rounds or so. I've since been using a cloud defensive LCS and used 18650 or 123's in a sleeve and had no issues.

PatMcG

I’ve had zero issues using only surefire cr123’s after 1000’s of rounds on this particular rifle