Developing hand speed - how to progress to the next level

03humpalot

Amateur
something I use that is completely unrelated to shooting but I have found makes me process information faster is Solitaire ...shit you not. When I was working in Bosnia I spent a lot of time working on different things to help me process information faster. If I can process info faster ad move through the OODA loop faster than others...I can shoot them faster, swerve to avoid obstacles faster while driving...etc/etc.

Start playing speed solitaire as FAST as you can. As soon as your brain recognizes what color and suit the card is either play it or discard it. You will make mistakes. Everytime you sit at your computer play a game. Once you get good play a game while having a conversation with a coworker. etc/etc. I guarantee you this will make you faster at all kinds of things and not just pistol presentation. Everyone I have ever mentioned this to that did not blow it off has told me it works for them as well.

Tore Haugli

Staff member
I posted this 9 months ago, and thought I would show you guys the result from my training since. It's hard being as consistent with training as I want to be, with my day job, family and other stuff being mixed in, but I have been seeing quite a bit of progress. I was a bit cocky with my assessment of my reload in a previous post - it was slow as fuck, actually. I am now at a consistent 1,4 - and working to speed up that as well.

This is a video from today's dry fire practice session. Target is a miniature IPSC, simulated 7 meters, and the par time on the timer is set at 0,8 secs. That is the par time I use for practice now, as I am working on getting all of the pieces coming together at the same time at this speed (grip placement, grip strength, sight alignment on target etc).

I am not at 0,8 during live fire, for an A zone hit, but I have done a 0,93 with my Glock 34.

voodoo_man

Established
Easiest way I have found is to what Tore Haugli posted video's of, setting a par time.

I would work my way down to nearly impossible times of .5 and .4 of a second par to get my speed up.

Added training bonus - do this and record yourself in a series of the same drill - I do 20 rep's of this per movement (draw, reload, draw shot reload, blade presentation as well in the mix), in the recording you will quickly see wasted movements, and you will figure out fastest way to make best use of what you have.

There are, of course, inherent limitations to specific setups. With my duty rig (7ts) I cannot break 1 second draw to shot at 7y A-zone, I've tried for a while and cannot, but with an aiwb I can do .9 all day. If you hit a wall, it may be your equipment.

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
Awesome! I feel like a piece of shit now, my consistent .9-1.00 draw from an ALS has gone to shit.

Proof that the practice is something that is continuous.

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
You can also reduce the size of the target if your limited on space to simulate an ISPC at say 15 yards despite you being at 7. Long rifle guys do it all the time with a special lens cap that allows them to focus down to a distance of 10 yards for dry practice indoors.