"Deployment" Bags

LigerNoir

Amateur
Gentlemen,

I'm looking into a "Deployment" Bag, i.e. a large "suitcase" that I can carry my gear and clothing in primarily for Federal Police work, but also useful for AT (annual training) in the National Guard. I'm expecting to be living in sub-optimal conditions for police work, but nothing new to me from my time down at JRTC or other training events. I would like "one bag to rule them all" for living out of. Cost is not an issue. Right now I'm looking at the LBT Large Load-Out Bag (in a solid color). https://lbtinc.com/collections/load-out-bags/products/2467a

Anyone have experience with these Bags? Other Options?

shoobe01

Established
I have a Large Wheeled Loadout Bag I got cheap when LBT decided to clear out most of their non-Berry compliant stuff. Quite like it. Have used several times in place of a footlocker in austere environments (though indoors). Good size, sturdy enough to handle heavy stuff (ammo, pyro, guns) when being on/offloaded by others, decent enough organization, etc.

Handle opposite the wheels is not rigid, so it can be annoying to wheel around for long distances.

DO make sure you can get a box that big to where you want it. A couple times I've needed to move it 100 m over open ground and... it sucked. Not worse than a footlocker (I have had and used wooden and Hardigg plastic footlockers as well), but do make sure that's fine for your needs.

Only real downside to me is the size. Cannot air travel with it, as it easily gets over 50# then cannot be checked without extra fees; if kept light, it's so empty it's not worth using. May not apply to you, but worth knowing.

JLL2013

Does it need wheels?
I use the large aviator flight bags or the old deployment kit bags. They both come in around $30 online. Neither have wheels and need to be carried like you've got something to prove but they work.

LigerNoir

Amateur
Forgot air travel has those restrictions. Haven't had to travel by air for the job yet, and Army doesn't charge me (obviously).

Ive been looking at flyers kit bags, but they have no organization and w. the amount of gear I will be traveling with, I'll be getting quite the workout trying to carry something without wheels.

shoobe01

Established
FWIW: For smaller/shorter deployment type stuff, or commercial air travel (as I am on now), I got myself a 120 liter RAB sorta dry-duffel. They say it's a dry bag, but the zippers do not look immersion grade to me. Anyway, it's about as big as I can imagine carrying alone more than 3 yards at a time, goes pretty square, has some organization, so isn't bad.

It has shoulder straps which are not great, but better than a Duluth Pack (!) and certainly help for long moves when loaded: https://rab.equipment/eu/expedition-kitbag-120-5386
I got the RAB because I needed it when out off the country, and this was at an outdoor store, on sale no less. Several others, including people easy to find CONUS like The North Face have similar ones, and even make them that small with wheels!

ETA: top of my list on things like this is: not black inside! So easy to loose stuff in a black bag. I have an 80 liter true drybag, no org inside, black, and I have LITERALLY lost a lit flashlight in it or a minute! Black bags (and cases, etc) are bullshit.

Wake27

I really like my LBT bag, but if you can wait, they typically put the solid colors on a solid sale for Black Friday. I haven’t used mine in the same context - I’ve always taken a ruck and TT duffel to JRT but I did fly with it on my last PCS and always use it as storage for all my Gucci stuff.

Probably not big enough for your needs, but the RE Factor ASO Bag is definitely my favorite bag ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LigerNoir

Amateur
I have some time before I will be heading on TDY, hope to not be force prior to July 4th for the reasons I have off and sweet deals.

I've never heard of RAB nor can I find all that much info on them. Their offering in "civilian" colors are an attractive option.

Also, good point about Black Bags, I will lose something in there. Nothing more fun then Classic Black and Blue police uniforms in a black bag.

shoobe01

Established
Rab is foreign, just using it as an example. Reliable US makers sold through US stores I'd tend to suggest:

https://www.eaglecreek.com/shop/cargo-haulers/cargo-hauler-duffel-120l-xl-ec020586#hero=0 — Wife has the 60 L version of this, so seen it close up on trips. Works well. Smaller ones are in all bright colors, so that helps, but these seem largely black :(

https://www.eaglecreek.com/shop/migrate-wheeled-duffel-130l-ec0a3xw1?variationId=271#hero=0 — Wheeled variant of the above.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/e...-thunder-36in-nf0a3c92?variationId=TRA#hero=0 — Interesting hybrids, with a hard bottom. There are two other sizes of this.

Boy Scout

Back in the day on a smaller agency we had pool cars, and I used a medium size janky black rolling duffel bag for my gear. It suited my needs but that’s the extent of my experience with that type of bag.

I dug around on eBay because I always seem to find good deals. There are some Blackhawk, USMC and knockoff rolling duffels on this search that might help you out:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...loy.TRS0&_nkw=wheeled+deployment+bag&_sacat=0

LigerNoir

Amateur
Thanks for the Replies. I'll be looking to buy around Independence day for those sweet deals and then it will be off to TX, NM, AZ or CA. Haven't decided yet, but the extra options are great.

Torzoi

I have used LBT and Mercury Tactical and they both have held up well. I go the Mercury Tactical before this last deployment because I needed a non camo colored one and that is what they had. It has held up but I prefer the LBTs the best but I got them during a 50% off sale.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
90 or 120L Patagonia blackhole bags. I prefer the non rolling because the can be carried via the included pack straps. I considered the LBT for a long time as well just couldn’t get one at the right sale time. I don’t like wheels unless it’s on a pelican. I prefer straps. I always thought the “A bag” kit bag with duffel straps was a good idea. Whenever the packing list mandated duffels I always substituted A bags. Only issue is the two man carry. They make them now with the pack straps but I’ve not tried one.

Mike_IA

Wheeled bags can be nice but size them to your ride. I was issued a wheeled duffle that took up my whole backseat of my Tahoe and now won’t fit in any of my sedans (sest or trunk) so it sits in the garage holding the rest of my “dead kit pile.”

I have a 90L Patagonia blackhole bag with backpack straps that’s awesome for my callout kit- plates, helmet, NODS, Green uniform, multicam uniform, spare bits, and snacks. Then the hard gear comes out and clothes go in for long trips. The fact that it is water resistant is also nice for rainy callouts, dewy grass, and wet parking lots.

If size/weight isn’t a deal I like Hardigg/Pelican wheeled boxes. They can ride in truck beds and are weather/dust proof.

Enjoy processing peeps in the Southland.

David Mayeur

I have a Large LBT/LBX wheeled bag. It's massive. My large bag barely fits in the back of my vehicle. It will take up the entirety of the back floor of a crew cab pickup. A SWAT buddy showed me his setup. It holds his PC, Helmet, NVG, Magazines, Carbine, Boots, Cold Weather Gear, Uniform, Rain Gear, Cleaning Kit, IFAK, and everything else you can imagine one would need on a callout.

I was going to buy the Medium, but found the Large for a steal.

rick62

I have a Large LBT/LBX wheeled bag. It's massive. My large bag barely fits in the back of my vehicle. It will take up the entirety of the back floor of a crew cab pickup. A SWAT buddy showed me his setup. It holds his PC, Helmet, NVG, Magazines, Carbine, Boots, Cold Weather Gear, Uniform, Rain Gear, Cleaning Kit, IFAK, and everything else you can imagine one would need on a callout.

I was going to buy the Medium, but found the Large for a steal.

I use a medium LBT for a similar load as your friend. It seems appropriately sized, for the most part, but I occasionally wonder if I’d be better served with a slightly smaller bag. What’s your friend use?

David Mayeur

I use a medium LBT for a similar load as your friend. It seems appropriately sized, for the most part, but I occasionally wonder if I’d be better served with a slightly smaller bag. What’s your friend use?

I want to say he has the Medium as well. My Large can fix a 16" carbine unsuppressed in the side pocket. His fit his work gun, which I believe is an 11.5 gun suppressed. I think the Medium is about the same width as the Large, but slightly shorter overall length.

I have been using a 215 Gear Range bag for general range use for pistol work.

Nomad1

Not sure if you've already gotten a bag. I picked up a 5.11 CAMS 2.0 bag for cheap when they introduced the newest generation and that thing is monster in terms of size: Main Compartment - 40"H x 20.5"L x 16.25"D with a Total Capacity of 11594 cubic inches / 190 liters.