Dependable EDC light in the 40-70 dollar range?

Does this exist? I'm completely new to the tactical flashlight scene, but after listening to the latest modcast (183: A Little Light Science) I want to get my feet wet.
I've seen many lights in this price range, including Streamlight lights which I have heard are decent, but I'm not sure if they are good. I've had some experience with the Surefire G2X, however I would prefer one with a pocket clip if possible.

I do not have a lot of money being a poor, but I don't want to waste my money buying a crappy light either, so I'd be willing to save up if this price bracket is unfeasible.

If this has been asked before or if I'm not allowed to post here I apologize and will delete this on request. If not any insight is appreciated.

Kain

The Streamlight is probably a good starter, from size point, and they are generally decent lights. Not my personal preference, but that is for my reasons, not because they are just bad lights. Though I'd say definately don't go with their really cheap stuff.
That said, I may be inclined to say a little more and wait for a Big Tex sale since I picked up my EDCLT1 for I want to say $112. And that is a one nice light. Of course that was blackfriday sale, and well, we are a ways off from that. And it may be more advisable to pick up the $40 Streamlight, figure out what you do and don't like, and go from there.

A parting shot though, I think the Surefire sidekick is $30 now. And about $10 for the pocket clip. It make be an option for you if you are okay with the way it works. It an option.

Dang, speedy response guys, thanks for the info! I was looking at the Streamlight 1L-AA and saw the Streamlight Protac 2L-X for about 50 bucks, which is more the size I was preferring. It takes those 18650 batteries and looks like the AA's big brother. I think I might roll with that one

David Mayeur

Streamlight HL-X - I've had one in my pocket for over a year. It's pretty beat up and does well with battery consumption. IIRC, I paid $63.

It does not suffer from the same issues that the Protac HL-X weapon light has.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
If the Streamlight’s you are looking at meet your lumen threshold ie they are bright as you want, you will not be disappointed. Abuse wise they will take it. I’ve washed the CR123, AAA, and USB recharging models over and over in the washing machine. The single 123 protac I my pocket doesn’t even have any finish left on it.

Longinvs

Quantified Performance
I think the bezel on the G2X can be a bit bulky in my opinion but it's one of my favorite handhelds and if you put a Thyrm Switchback on it you gain a pocket clip.

I have a Fenix PD35 Tac that's just outside of your budget at $73 (on Amazon Prime). Mostly I like that in "tactical" (lol) mode, it defaults to turbo mode and you have to switch it to low power. If you turn it off in low power mode, it immediately reverts to turbo mode. I like that more than my previous Fenixes (PD32 and an older PD30) because I don't need to remember to put it in turbo mode after using it for everyday flashlight things.

Granted, I got into Fenix lights on the recommendation of a knowledgeable friend and I don't have experience w/ Streamlight or Surefire to compare it to. However, I've always been happy with the Fenix PD series for pocket lights.

I have a Fenix PD35 Tac that's just outside of your budget at $73 (on Amazon Prime). Mostly I like that in "tactical" (lol) mode, it defaults to turbo mode and you have to switch it to low power. If you turn it off in low power mode, it immediately reverts to turbo mode. I like that more than my previous Fenixes (PD32 and an older PD30) because I don't need to remember to put it in turbo mode after using it for everyday flashlight things.

Granted, I got into Fenix lights on the recommendation of a knowledgeable friend and I don't have experience w/ Streamlight or Surefire to compare it to. However, I've always been happy with the Fenix PD series for pocket lights.

That looks like a awesome flashlight, i like the features on it a lot, the only thing that seems questionable might be the pocket clip compared to the thick ones I see on the Streamlight. As someone who bends the crap out of pocket knife clips I worry about it.

It seems the Streamlight hl-x (according to the manufacturer spec sheet) can go further has significantly more candela and is about 5 to 10 bucks cheaper than the Fenix PD35.
Plus the clip on the Streamlight is beefy looking.
Kinda a shame because the Fenix is a better looking light to me, but I'm probably going with the 65 dollar Streamlight at this point I think.

Longinvs

Quantified Performance
It seems the Streamlight hl-x (according to the manufacturer spec sheet) can go further has significantly more candela and is about 5 to 10 bucks cheaper than the Fenix PD35.
Plus the clip on the Streamlight is beefy looking.
Kinda a shame because the Fenix is a better looking light to me, but I'm probably going with the 65 dollar Streamlight at this point I think.
I've had a PD35 for a couple years and for me it is a really good camping/shop task light but not something I would want to use for an EDC light with personal protection in mind. It has a lot of spill but a very blue tint and not very good throw.

I've had a PD35 for a couple years and for me it is a really good camping/shop task light but not something I would want to use for an EDC light with personal protection in mind. It has a lot of spill but a very blue tint and not very good throw.

Good to know, my use would be edc /use with my glock if I had to. Streamlight is sounding air-tight at this point