Deltapoint Pro for duty use?

Vista461

Amateur
Anyone here use a DPP on duty? If so does it hold up and how is the battery life when being used 8-12 hrs a day.

I know the gold standard so far is the RMR, at least until the new Aimpoint is proven, but the DPP is a little more budget friendly and has a larger window. But if I’m putting in a new battery every two weeks the price gap will close up.

The Leupold DPP is the EOTech of MRDS’, as far as battery life is concerned.

I’ve got a few of them on pistols. Daily carry they last 2-3 months in my experience.

If your duty holster is a Safariland ALS model and you’ve got co-witnessed irons, there is a high probability you’ll have compatibility issues due to their extreme height.

I want to say my Glock has a .390 front sight or so and it goes into the holster (Safariland 6354DO) but catches on the draw on the ALS device, almost every single time.

Also, when I say co-witnessed iron sights, I should really say barely visible, as I can barely see them in the lower 1/10th of the glass set up with the Leupold rear sight.

On a gamer gun with no BUIS, the DPP makes sense. On a duty pistol, the RMR is tough to beat.

David Mayeur

As previously stated, the DPP's battery life and size are the disadvantages for duty use.

A lot of people complain about the RMR's small window, especially when compared to the DPP, but with proper presentation, it's irrelevant. The DPP shines when you don't have irons and you don't have a perfect presentation. The window is big enough that you can be "off" and still see the dot.

JLL2013

I was very underwhelmed by the DPP's perceived benefits. The window size and color clarity didn't revolutionize my shooting experience. Top loading battery didn't excite me either; as a pipe-hitting, warfighting, badass, gunslinger, I can take my RMR off, replace battery, and rezero annually. The shark fin of a front sight necessary for a cowitnessed BUIS didn't really get me going either.
Frankly, I just don't get the attraction to the DPP.

dcsp3x

So I have used DPPs pretty much since they became available, and have been using RMRs for quiet a long time as well type 1 & 2. For me as an everyday, all day concealed carry person and USPSA shooter they are dead equal in everything but battery life for my uses. I change the batteries on my DPPs every 6 months using Energizer batteries (awaiting internet bashing, something something Sage dynamics paper(whatever & double parenthesizes)) and have not had one kill a battery before that time frame that I can remember, oh which the top loading battery is super convenient. I use Dawson Precision co-witness BUIS for my carry gun and have had zero issues other then some minor holster fitting due to front sight height.

As for:
Anyone here use a DPP on duty? If so does it hold up and how is the battery life when being used 8-12 hrs a day.

Neither are being 'used' 8-12 hours day, just 'on' 8-12 hours a day, so that is an unfair statement; and as I have stated, my DPP that is carried all day every day doesn't magically eat batteries, just do routine battery changes. My DPP fits in the new Safariland 6390RDS with closing hood so that isn't a concern either. If the DPPs hold up all day everyday in my holster they then will in yours too and my USPSA gun/DPP alone sees about 3 matches a month + practice, and guess what, still works fine and holds zero.

I have had to send back more RMRs in the last 2 years then DPPs, 3 vs 1. 3 RMRs had electronic failures/issues (not battery related, actual electronic issues) and 1 DPP (by choice not necessity for a lens). My last encounter with Trijicon's service management left such a disgustingly bad taste in my mouth I sold my RMRs and never looked back. That encounter did not influence my decision on whether the RMR was good to go, just that I will never again deal with or buy anything Trijicon, the company, again I believe for mine & your uses the DPP and RMR are equal.

Vista461

Amateur
Well I meant being on when I said used. I figured that was fairly obvious because if I worked in a city I had to keep shooting 8 hours a day, I would find a new city to work in. Haha.

dcsp3x

I have met many people, police included, that would literally mean being used, they do not understand the difference. Correct wording when asking about the reliability or actual use in the real world is important.

user12358

I have met many people, police included, that would literally mean being used, they do not understand the difference. Correct wording when asking about the reliability or actual use in the real world is important.

His wording is completely correct because he is asking how it holds up when in motion for 8-12 hours a day. It doesn't matter to the motion activation if you are shooting for 8 hours or walking for 8 hours or just shifting around in a seat, the dot is still going to active and USING battery.

PM07

Staff member
We have a DPP currently mounted on a 19MOS being evaluated for Agency issue. Its probably been 3 months now, 2000 rounds. Not enough time to get a full evaluation complete but here are some thoughts so far. BUIS are Dawson 310-194.
Running the same drills using the same holster, Safariland 5188, my times and scores were about even. Its been banged around on the ground, roll over drills etc. No drop tests conducted although I have knocked it into door frames a couple of times. No shifts in zero due to the handlings.

Pros:
Bright dot, easily adjustable once you get used how to do it.
Window size makes finding the dot a little easier than RMR , subjectively.
Fits in my 6378RDS ok-ish(See cons)

Cons:
Holster fit:
For proper co witness BUIS, the front sight height is like .485. Its tall. Caught a wee bit on my 6378RDS at first but now it doesn't. I'm guessing it shaved off enough to not catch. It doesn't fit in my Keroman holster nor Perun.
Battery:
Installed a new battery , Duracell at the beginning of the eval. Still on the same battery. It is NOT currently being carried in a duty holster full time. I've started coaching one of my guys on it and once he is confident in carrying it , he will start carrying it full time on duty which should give a more realistic battery life test.
Dot Size:
I carry a RMR06 on duty so the dot seems a little big to me but I'm used to a 2 MOA dot on my pistol and carbine. I have a RMR07 installed on another 19MOS to issue out for evaluation so we shall see.

Yondering

A DPP in a Glock MOS mount requires a huge front sight to cowitness, as you discovered, especially in comparison to an RMR in a milled slide that can use standard suppressor sights. Dropping that DPP into a milled slide instead of the MOS lets you use slightly shorter sights, but still needs something taller than normal suppressor sights. The height of that DPP body is a downside IMO and not worth the tradeoff for easy access to the battery that some are so concerned about.