Definition of a “vetted” instructor?

I’ve been recreationally shooting for years and while I am a decent shooter, I have never taken any formal training. I want to take a few basic classes later this year before I jump in with the big boys. I keep seeing classes that require basic classes with a “vetted” instructor. How do I know if they’re “vetted”?

The only guy I know of in my town is nra certified and has training from a few big names in the training industry. I took my initial carry license and renewal with him. He offers basic pistol classes, but I don’t personally know anyone who’s taken one.

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
My purposes would include instructors that I know and trust that provide a relevant curriculum.

PM07

Staff member
This is a area where research is your friend. Website like P&S have a section for AARs(After Action Review) from different instructors. Rather than looking to what instructor you want, you need to figure out what you want to work on skills wise, then find a qualified/vetted instructor to learn from. Therein lies the catch, what do you consider a 'Qualified/Vetted Instructor'? My 'qualified instructor' definition may be different from yours for a couple of reasons. When I look at an Instructor, I look at any available reviews, do I have friends with sufficient skills and knowledge that I trust who has trained with that instructor? I look at the Instructors background, their training, who they have trained with or for, their LE or Mil backgrounds etc., For me, do I want that instructors back ground brought up in court if I am involved in a On duty shooting. So may factors. I look at what is that Instructor teaching that I need/want to learn to enhance my skill sets , etc.

Yeah I’ve been reading through all the aar section. Just don’t have many options locally. Gonna make some calls and see what I can find.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
Another method of vetting is to ask an instructor who they would recommend. Say you take a class with Yeti. At the end ask him who he would recommend. When he says Pannone, that’s vetting.

Any instructor who wouldn’t recommend another instructor is to be avoided like the plague.