Dayton armor

Tim Shaffer

Staff member
I would go all of the above contact methods until you establish comms.

A quick dig on Dayton appears to be mostly helmet related and on the R&D side.

Flight567

I would go all of the above contact methods until you establish comms.

A quick dig on Dayton appears to be mostly helmet related and on the R&D side.
The owner had mentioned the helmet. Should I have looked for anything in their plates while I was handling them?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Tim Shaffer

Staff member
Just looking and handling plates wont tell you much. But look for quality of the wrapping and the other visual clues that will give you some idea on their attention to detail and QC. Their lack of NIJ ratings, yet claiming to outfit LE organizations is a bit off to me. NIJ ratings are often required for use of state and federal funding lines. Not having NIJ ratings is not as big a red flag if they are just doing DoD contracts, but they are claiming more than just DoD.

It is obvious that they are doing at a minimum, R&D work under SOCOM and other DoD contracts. However, what that translates into as far as fielded capability is a totally different story.

Flight567

Just looking and handling plates wont tell you much. But look for quality of the wrapping and the other visual clues that will give you some idea on their attention to detail and QC. Their lack of NIJ ratings, yet claiming to outfit LE organizations is a bit off to me. NIJ ratings are often required for use of state and federal funding lines. Not having NIJ ratings is not as big a red flag if they are just doing DoD contracts, but they are claiming more than just DoD.

It is obvious that they are doing at a minimum, R&D work under SOCOM and other DoD contracts. However, what that translates into as far as fielded capability is a totally different story.

They had some raw plates, and their polyethylene sheets sitting out. A friend of mine in the department confirmed that they have dayton armor plates, he also mentioned that they are testing some shields that they produce.

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
They had some raw plates, and their polyethylene sheets sitting out. A friend of mine in the department confirmed that they have dayton armor plates, he also mentioned that they are testing some shields that they produce.

Department testing usually equates to the item is in someone's trunk or office that they take out to show someone on occasion. It is no where near the actual testing certified labs conduct.

PM07

Staff member
If you don't know what you are looking for when you are looking at raw materials, then how is that even helpful. 'Ooh, it feels bulletproof' isn't exactly a scientific knowledgeable verification of what armor should look or feel like. As Tim mentioned a couple of times, the lack of NIJ certification is a huge red flag for me.

Just because a department bought them doesn't mean they are quality. See Matts statement above. Same with the DOD claim. Did they provide contract # etc, NSN ? Are those contracts with SOCOM or DOS for equipping allied forces?
I don't give a shit if someone is in my hometown or not when it comes to buying stuff. Dragonskin was made in someones hometown too.

Flight567

If you don't know what you are looking for when you are looking at raw materials, then how is that even helpful. 'Ooh, it feels bulletproof' isn't exactly a scientific knowledgeable verification of what armor should look or feel like. As Tim mentioned a couple of times, the lack of NIJ certification is a huge red flag for me.

Just because a department bought them doesn't mean they are quality. See Matts statement above. Same with the DOD claim. Did they provide contract # etc, NSN ? Are those contracts with SOCOM or DOS for equipping allied forces?
I don't give a shit if someone is in my hometown or not when it comes to buying stuff. Dragonskin was made in someones hometown too.

I know enough to know the names of raw material. What I don't know are specifics about what plates should look like when they're finished. If a plate is cut with a chamfered edge, should there be a sealant on that chamfer? Are whisps of material not epoxie'd down normal on plates?quality control Stuff like that.

As far as the NIJ rating goes:
Hypothetically would happen if a company didn't care about the standards set by the NIJ? If a manufacturer wanted a plate that is proof against four 7.62x51 hits, and doesn't care about rounds five, and six for example.

Also l210s aren't NIJ rated. But they are generally accepted as quality based on brand name, I assume?

I'm still trying to get a hold of @AT Armor to have a discussion about what I need, and what they recommend. I care more about quality than supporting local businesses, but if given the choice between local quality, and anything else I buy local. Esther price candy for example: that's also made down the way, it's my go to, when i can find it, and I'm going to buy my wife some chocolate.

Chriscanbreach

Established
For anyone in a position to purchase equipment for agencies or similar groups please avoid this dangerous path.
This could be a very upstanding company and their products could deliver all the claims they make, but there isn’t a valid standard to compare them to if they haven’t submitted for NIJ testing. Just shooting plates taped to a dummy or leaning up against a railroad tie isn’t proper testing

My experience has shown that armor manufacturers typically rely on the purchaser never needing it to actually perform. Those that stand behind their product get the relevant certifications often required by grants or public money funding.

If you’re purchasing it for yourself to LARP in classes or on the weekend feel free to disregard all the advise offered.
If you’re responsible for purchasing life saving equipment others will wear in harms way you owe it to them not to gamble with their safety.

HighTower

Iv seen the DOD contracts on fed biz or some other website a length of time ago, and I think they are waiting for NIJ .07 to drop, they have some products for sale but I havent checked the CPL for them in a mad minute. (On phone so im not going to at just this second)