Dark Star Gear

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
Cross posted to P-F

I received my first shipment of dark star gear a few days ago and wanted to post some impressions. First off the P-F discount code was much appreciated, so much so I felt almost obligated to go orange on the holster and mag pouch I bought. I picked up an appendix j frame holster and the Koala mag pouch for my 226 mags.

The j frame holster has been perfect for what I wanted it for! The metal clip stays put on a draw both with a belt as well as in gym shorts or really any other pants/shorts I have tried it with. The whole goal of this holster was something I could throw on to feed the dog/horses, grab something from outside, etc. in whatever I happened to be wearing in addition to an NPE gun.
I will probably be adding a small foam wedge eventually, but that is more for tucking the butt of the gun in than for comfort as it is already easy to forget it is there. Quality is superb as far as retention, and the longer holster makes appendix carry much more comfortable. In looking it over and working a couple dry fire sessions with it, I wouldn't change a thing about it.

The mag carrier was purchased to replace my current appendix mag pouch which has been fine, but not great. The primary concerns were poor concealment and comfort. I'm happy that both of those issues have been solved with the Koala.

The range of adjustment is unlike any IWB mag pouch I have ever tried, with the ability to adjust angle and depth of both the mag pouch in the pants as well as height of the mag in the pouch. I carry a sig 226 mag with a basepad so I dropped the mag deeper in the pouch and it still draws smoothly, has good rentention, and conceals much better than my last mag pouch. I found myself going without a reload more often than not due to the concealment/comfort issues but no more!

I did make one small modification to mag pouch. I don't know if this has already been mentioned before, but the sig mags were too loose and I couldn't tighten the adjustment down far enough. I ended up removing the rubber spacer on the adjustment screw, cutting it in half, and then replacing it. That small difference gave me the retention that I wanted and solved the only small problem I had. Once again maybe that is already known as a common fix, but if you didn't know, there you go.

I'm posting this from my phone, so hopefully everything makes sense. I just had to give a shout out to Dark Star for some great products, an insane shipping speed (about 1 week from ordering to delivery!) and most of all the Lemonheads, they were delicious!
e91bcbb0c3a176c6f2a7b5b135934782.jpg
b944d109306558f91d2b3ea4a044f30f.jpg
1492256c03c1475633606f5d4c28a185.jpg
fcd5d529926982c824e0f5298a049425.jpg
7eee504c63e9226073514d478ff79d77.jpg

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk