CZ P09

Atlas

Anyone have any experience with this weapon? I know its pretty new but I wanted to see if anyone had anything. After My M&P failed me I really can't trust it anymore and am looking to replace it. I will get a g19 for my daily and am probably going to either get a czp09 or cz75 for... my well.. full size I guess.

Lane C

Rico and the Man
Staff member
Are you referring to the CZ P07 or P09 DUTY pistols?
I have one of each. Here is the 411 on my take. My exposure to CZ has been very limited over the years being a .gov worker and mostly using what is issued. I have a friend (Pat D) that is FT LEO, trains specialized teams and is a sponsored competitor. Whenever we get together to work drills he used a CZ. And he shot it extremely well. So I always wondered about them, but focused on the issued 1911, glock and M&P platforms. Last year I was shooting with John McPhee and noticed that he had a polymer framed rail pistol that was cocked and locked like a 1911, in nine-milly-vanilly caliber. I asked about it and he handed me a P-09 to shoot for a few reps during the day.

The fact that it was a polymer frame, rail gun, 9mm with a M1911 style safety had me intrigued. My pappy had a M1911 that i plinked as a wee pup and I cut my teeth in the academy with one. I always seem to shoot my best with a 1911. I contacted the LE/MIL sales rep and ordered a P07 and P09. I have been running both of them for a year in an evaluation phase, one or two days at a range doesn't cut it for me. Here is my take on why I like the CZ DUTY series and where they need improvement.

The pistol arrives in the box in a DA/SA configuration, metal 3 dot sights and metal magazines (P09 Full size is a 19 rounder). Each pistol comes with a conversion kit to swap the DA/SA decocker to a SA only safety. I had to search the web to find a video of how to do the swap as the manual didn't quite spell it out enough for me to get it right. Field striping is simple, much like other polymer framed pistols in duty service across the globe. I shoot a lot of drills on a shot timer at multiple distances on standard 8x10 copy paper. I am able to get accurate and fast hits on the paper with the P series CZ's. The CZ shoot with very flat recoil. I believe it is due to the design of the slide being encompassed by the lower receiver frame rails. The trigger feels a lot like shooting a HK USP or SW M&P pistol as far as longer reset that Glocks or 1911's. Eventually I may upgrade to a short reset kit to get the feel i prefer, but I wanted to spend about a year playing with the CZ in a stock configuration.

The magazines are metal magazines which i prefer over polymer magazines just for overall reliability during reloads, durability, etc. The cheapest price i have found for magazines is from CZcustom for about $42 bones a piece. Yup, the mags are a bit pricey. I can fit the CZ mags in an existing Blade-tech M&P 9/40 pouch on the belt. Holsters are bit of a problem. I run the CZ's in the Safariland universal holster, I think it is the 560 or 568. I wish Safariland would make an ALS with x-300 holster for these pistols and I think the P07 and P09 could make it into the LE market.

I have not experienced one reliability issue with either the P07 or P09 to date. I would guesstimate between the two i have about 6K rounds through them. So it is a baseline metric on reliability, but not a standard as of yet. Overall based on other end users feedback and my short time on the DUTY models I think it has a possible future as a reliable, hard use out of the box gun.

Atlas

I was Specifically looking into the P09 so thank you very much for the follow up Lane! I have been playing with one a lot in the shop and another co worker bought one and a put about 100 rounds through it. Loved the 09 and the 07. But hadn't heard much on reliability.

Atlas

Matt if you feel like deleting this im totally for it. I saw the other link and don't want to clutter this up.

Atlas

Well after reading all I could find on mike pannone's outlook on the CZ series Ill be probably picking up a po9 for my new full size pistol

Lane C

Rico and the Man
Staff member
Well after reading all I could find on mike pannone's outlook on the CZ series Ill be probably picking up a po9 for my new full size pistol
Atlas. Are you LE?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

McKenna

I've been running the Po9 & P07 since early November 14'. The P09 has replaced my Glock 17 as my secondary. I've found the Po9 to be the flattest recoiling 9mm pistol platform I've run in the past 8 years, I can run it smooth and fast in either SA or DA and it yields the same results. The extended beavertail coupled with the short backstrap makes it feel like a 1911 (which I am accustom too). I can get very high up on the gun and due to the angle of the trigger guard coupled with the thickness of it, I don't get that Glock knuckle bite that most of us Glock shooters were used before we started to undercut the trigger guards. The frame has enough texture that I don't feel that I need to modify the lower with the addition of stippling or grip tape. If you can swing it, I would highly recommend you purchase the Cajun Gun Works (CGW) model from the get go. For a few hundred bucks more, you will get a so much more refined pistol under the price of some of the perceived higher end Euro 9mm models such as the HKs & Sigs. David from CGW unlike other custom shops includes all of your oem parts(that were replaced) in a bag within your pistols case when you purchase or have your Omega series CZ tuned. There have also been an increase in new holsters coming our for both the Po9 & Po7 in the last few months from well known sources and even within the custom kydex industry.

Besides Noner's reviews, the only other main stream source for an unbiased opinion has been John McPhee. Hopefully this post was some help in your quest to look into the Po9 series.
http://shootersmagazine.com/sheriff-baghdad-cz-p-09/

adam_s

While not a P-09, my dad picked up a CZ P-07 the other day, and I was able to go hands on with it over the weekend. I only ran one magazine through it, but I'm favorably impressed by the feel and ergos of it. I may pick up an '09 or '07 to test drive further to see how I like it.

I'm also hosting John McPhee for a class here in May, so I may just try to bum his '09 for a relay or few to see how it works for me.

Grayman

Established
Adam. Good to see you over here buddy!!

I'll be the guy in red on your shoulder and say don't wait buy one and I promise you won't regret the choice! I'll take it a step further and say the extra coin of getting it done by Cajun gun works is well worth it!!!

I picked up my P09 with very little SA/DA trigger time and am just as fast as I am with the MP I've been shooting for years. The gun is exceptionally well designed and is truly a pleasure to shoot! The first words that came to mind after I got mine was, this thing is gonna catch like wildfire when people realize it actually exists.

I'm sure this sounds sales pitchy but I swear CZ isn't paying me (If they're reading this and want to send me a few mags I'm cool with it though). I've shot and or owned all of the major "duty" pistols and this is the first one I can honestly say is exciting!

McKenna

I've found most people shoot compact frame pistols better than the full size models within the same product line. It just works out that way for some folks, I know plenty of people that run G19s over the G17 because they're more accurate with the compact over the full size.

adam_s

Adam. Good to see you over here buddy!!

I'll be the guy in red on your shoulder and say don't wait buy one and I promise you won't regret the choice! I'll take it a step further and say the extra coin of getting it done by Cajun gun works is well worth it!!!

I picked up my P09 with very little SA/DA trigger time and am just as fast as I am with the MP I've been shooting for years. The gun is exceptionally well designed and is truly a pleasure to shoot! The first words that came to mind after I got mine was, this thing is gonna catch like wildfire when people realize it actually exists.

I'm sure this sounds sales pitchy but I swear CZ isn't paying me (If they're reading this and want to send me a few mags I'm cool with it though). I've shot and or owned all of the major "duty" pistols and this is the first one I can honestly say is exciting!

It's good to be over here man! Another source of info is always welcome when you're as nerdy as I am.

I'm still paying down buying a SCAR17, and then saving up for the McPhee class in May (ammo still ain't cheap, even with low round counts). Once I get back into the black some, I'll revisit picking up a P-07, and getting all the CGW goodies for it. Changing platforms though is never fun, particularly when you're heavily invested into one with mags/holsters/parts/etc. I'm stacked deep into the Glock ecosystem...

Atlas

"Changing platforms though is never fun, particularly when you're heavily invested into one with mags/holsters/parts/etc. I'm stacked deep into the Glock ecosystem..."
Exactly how I feel about now leaving the M&P series. I have so many damn holsters and not only that but as soon as you decide you're going to run a light. throw a whole new bundle of shitty shopping. I have spent the last two days looking at barrels and holsters for the p09.

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
Poor Man's CZ Shadow, excellent pistol, both of them. Surprising accuracy out of the box. Its the best 9mm for the price point that no one seems to know about.

Trigger could use a little work, and I swapped out the sights on mine (or mean to... I got distracted when I picked up a SP01 Shadow... SQUIRREL!), but other then that its GTG. I actually like it in the DA/SA Decocker config, since it mimics the draw and manual of arms of my competition pistols (CZ SP01 Shadow).

JekPokins

Amateur
CZ has LE sales? Individual officer sales perhaps?
My favorite pistol by far is my SP-01 and I've been wanting a P-09 to play with for some time. Wouldn't mind a P-07 to carry either.