Cutting sights on 1967 S&W Model 15-2

Runcibleman

Hello,

I picked up a grand old dame today, a 1967 made S&W Model 15-2 with a 4" barrel and very deep bluing still. I like myself some .38 Special, and that's what this nice little gun shoots exclusively. That said, I really don't like the thin, black on black sights. The rear sight blade isn't even and has some deformation on the corners. The front sight blade is milled onto the barrel, so replaceing that would require stabilizing the revolver very well in some jig and then miing in a notch for replacable sights that are around today.

Who does this sort of work regularly and reliably out there? Where could I sent the revolver to get good sights.

Longinvs

Quantified Performance
The rear sight should be readily replaced. Numrich likely will have them. For the front sight I believe a dovetail could be cut into the barrel, but I'd professionally recommend trying to paint the existing blade first. It's less invasive and will cost you less. Plus you don't risk some joker ruining a dovetail. You could try posting this question on the workbench facebook page too. Dave Laubert has been posting a lot of what he's been doing with revolvers lately.

Runcibleman

Thank you for the suggestion. Alas I don't do Facebook, but I'll get in touch with Dave via his website if I decide to have that dovetail cut.

I just painted my ramp sight and it made a world of difference. Like mentioned above it's the least invasive and easiest to change your mind on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk