Foodie

TL;DR: Short AAR from the CR2 class, it was great for a wide variety of skill levels and gear setups. Whether you want to take you patrol carbine past 300 for the first time or get your 6.5 ready for the next PRS match, they have useful information for you. The depth and breadth of practical, first-hand knowledge that they offer is beyond other precision oriented courses I have taken. Both instructors are passionate about helping students and it shows.

Course Description: Come and join us at Pigg River Precision (https://www.piggriverprecision.com/) for an in-depth course on Precision Semi-Auto Rifle Shooting.
We’ll spend 2 days covering:
-Shot Process
-Rifle Set-up
-Ballistic Software intro
-Gun Data (Chronograph)
-Data Confirmation
-Wind Reading
-Prone and Positional shooting 100-1000yds
In the end you will leave the course confident in your ability to employ your Semi-Auto Rifle across all aspects of precision shooting.

Instructors: Chris Roberts and Scott Peterson

Date: February 13-14, 2021

Equipment: FN DMR II
Vortex Razor 1-10 MIL
Harris Bipod on Badger MLOK Mount
Pint-sized Gamechanger
CBC/Magtech 77gr

Background: I am a civilian who has been a member of the training community for several years and trained with multiple talented instructors. I also compete in various pistol/rifle/gas gun matches including the Quantified Performance matches.

Overview: It's worth starting this review by saying the weather we we experienced both days was 31-36F with a drizzle that started before the class, so everything above ground level had solid layer of ice on it. The instructors did a great job adapting but we didn't shoot as much as their typical class, which wasn't a bad thing considering current ammo availability. They were also able to adapt their POI across the range of calibers in the class, all the way from AR15/AR10s in 5.56, .224Valk, .308, 6.5CM, and even a 6BR bolt gun that one student brought.

The first day started with firing a 5 shot group at 100yd. This may seem overly simplistic for a precision course but it offered the instructors a chance to take notes on each student's shot process so they could better tailor instruction. From there we moved into a heated classroom for instruction. This portion would usually be covered out on the range but the comfortable environment was much more conducive to learning Each student was issued an instructional booklet with useful diagrams and space to record data gathered during the course alongside a Kestrel 5700 Elite with Applied Ballistics Software. This was my first time using a Kestrel and I didn't fully appreciate how great that piece of kit is until later in the course.

Instruction began with a review of the shot process and how it can be modified or compressed with skill and experience. Next was a brief discussion on wind which would be expounded upon in day 2. After that we covered rifle setup, specifically how you can setup your rifle to work with you instead of against you. Students were given the chance to test out these principles on their own setups, including moving scopes and installing them properly using tools the instructors provided. All of these pieces were covered intentionally to ensure no weak points would present themselves later in the course, preventing a student from getting the most out of live-fire. For me, this was nothing new but there were a few detailed explanations of technology and technique that I had never heard explained before. This was a microcosm of the overall course as the instructors, with their years of deeply technical experience, were able to cover fundamental concepts that benefit less experienced students while also delving deeper to offer new information to intermediate or advanced students. You can tell these guys really geek out on every aspect of this craft and they are able to help others apply the information across the applications ranging from high-level competition to military and law enforcement snipers. The one critique I had for this course was that the instructors had so much knowledge, occasionally lectures could become unfocused. With their background instructing in the military I know they have the skills to teach others and will quickly polish their presentation. To be fair, this was only their 3rd open enrollment class. To finish off the classroom time we setup our Kestrels with a profile unique to our rifle and then hit the range.

The first day finished up at the range using the holds from our Kestrels and spotting from the instructors to make hits as far as we could see with the fog. This was a great opportunity to push past previous personal bests as the wind was still and AB solver is second to none. Thanks to this data I was able to make hits out to 915yd, even using 5.56. After a brief explanation on collecting environmental data, we finished up the day. Once we wrapped most of the students and the instructors gathered for dinner, followed by drinks at the hotel. This time was not only fun, but informative, adding additional hours of instruction. Any questions the students had were answered to great detail, showing the passion they have for this discipline and their students.

Day 2 started off with a block on wind reading and its effect on trajectory. This was not the first time I've had wind effects explained but it was the most detailed. Effects I had never considered before were diagramed, including those that had given me trouble at previous QP matches. To make this instruction more practical, they also taught short wind formula. This was a new concept to me and completely changes the way I compensate for wind. We were able to confirm these findings using our Kestrels and they matched nearly exactly.

After this we spent a bit more time at the 100yd range on paper, refining our natural point of aim and adding a time component to position-building. These drills will be helpful for future practice when distance or rounds are limited. A few final details were also worked out on students' setups to prepare for the remainder of the class. We moved up to the long range where Pigg River had a variety of obstacles and steel setup to practice positional shooting. A lecture on positional/PRS-style shooting was given, which was the most useful portion of the class for me. It included tips for establishing better position faster and the mental aspect of how to approach a stage. The tips given here will save significant stage time for me in future matches. Then students were given a chance to test these new principles across multiple obstacles both dry and live fire depending on how many rounds they wanted to spend. With current ammo prices I was stingy with my rounds and shot just over 100rd for the entire course.

The final block, at the request of several students, was a brief explanation on tripod selection and utilization to build shooting positions. We were able to test several tripods to get a better understanding of what is currently available on the market and the benefits each offers. I brought my personal tripod that I had only used a couple times. With the new tips I learned I was able to make easy hits out to 700yd from a standing position.

To finish up the class two stages were setup by the instructors for an interclass competition. This was a great way to tie all the learning points together while giving some of the less experienced members an understanding of how time stress can affect performance.

I would absolutely recommend this course. While there were many teaching points centered around competition, they were broad enough to be useful to anyone looking to improve their marksmanship with a scoped rifle. The instructors bring a level of experience unusual in both its depth and range. They have both the theoretical knowledge and the practical application to help students across many different backgrounds. For all the detail we covered it did seem like we rushed through some topics and could have easily had more guided learning under live fire. Fortunately for future students, this will be a 3 day class going forward, so bring as much ammo as you want to shoot. They even mentioned come back out to this range later in 2021, so keep an eye on their training calendar.