Cop External Load Bearing Carriers

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
If you wear an external armor carrier which also is load bearing daily as a cop - please post your vest as worn, how you have it set up, and why.

Bonus points to Safariland Bothell and Oregon City carriers.

Only interested in cop external load bearing carriers.

Txsapper

Amateur
I’m running one of the Oregon City carriers and have been for around 4-5 years now. I have double cuff pouch, med stuff(tq and 1110 med pouch), utility pouch and body cam on it. I have elected to leave most of my on-duty tools on my belt and am using suspenders underneath my carrier.

Other guys I work with have their mags, baton, radio, and taser on their carrier.

It is an optional Officer purchase for my Dept and I’m seeing more and more of our younger guys transition to them.

Wolf5

Armor Express Hardcore SU. Radio, handgun magazines, flashlight, and utility pouch. Great carrier. IMO, new Safariland outer carriers are no good. Not pleased with the selection compared to the other mainstream armor companies out there.

JG Uniform Carrier (Chicago based shop). Its the lookalike shirt type. We do not allow Molle on it, and were allowed to have up to 4 items out of 1)OC Spray, 2) Radio, 3) Flashlight, 4)Baton, 5) Arbitrator Mic. On the back side (Kidney pouches) we can put our handcuffs. I don't know anyone that actually does that as its a solid way of screwing your back if you fall. Mags, Gun, Taser must all remain on belt. The vest is less than stellar. They don't hold up to wear at all, especially the pouches which you have to take to a stitch bitch to get replaced since no molle. If you wash it too often the navy blue turns purple. The shirt pockets on the front don't expand as much as they should. I'll get a picture when I go back to work.

TheTick

Armor Express Hardcore SU. Radio, handgun magazines, flashlight, and utility pouch. Great carrier. IMO, new Safariland outer carriers are no good. Not pleased with the selection compared to the other mainstream armor companies out there.

What don't you like about the Safariland carriers? The Bothells are our authorized carrier and the guys really like them, but we're coming from the lame-assed uniform look outer-vest carriers. I will say that I don't like the Safariland pouches and have been convincing guys to buy Esstac and HSGI stuff, most have listened.

We can put everything but our pistol on it. Mine is still on its way, but the guys that got in early and have them generally attach: magazines (2 pistol, 1 rifle), flashlight, handcuffs, baton, radio, IFAK. Most guys are leaving the Taser on the belt. I don't carry an extendable baton, so I will more than likely put a 33-round magazine in the baton pocket once we go to G17s next year.

The initial T&E officers have said how much their backs have loosened up after a few months along the lines of that study that was floating around.

Matt- I'll get pictures once I get mine and get kinks worked out on the set-up. Should be here shortly.

WAVandal

I posted this on the FB Page too. My agency approved and bought us the Safariland Bothell with HSGI Taco pouches. We also wear jumpsuits. My pouches from the viewers left to right: I have added a set of trauma sheers to the right (viewers left) baton pocket since this photo was taken.
-HSGI Mini Radio/ Utility Pouch: I keep my work phone, quick reference guide and Pocket criminal law book in it.
-HSGI Covered Double Cuff Pouch: I have a set of hinged and a set of chain cuffs.
-HSGI Triple Pistol Mag Taco
-HSGI Single Rifle Taco
-Benchmade SOCP lives behind the rifle Taco.
I have kept my G17.4 mounted to a Safariland DFA with Leg Shroud, Taser X2, Radio, and baton ring on my belt. The four zippered chest pockets on the vest are pretty tight.

We have had a a few guys go a little nuts and start strapping huge admin pouches, Taser holsters, and other crap to the vest. I took most of what was on my belt or in my jumpsuit chest pockets and put on the vest. I saw it as more of a redistribution of weight then an opportunity to add a bunch of crap to my load. Some of the crusty ol' guys have left everything on their belts, and just wear the carrier slick. It's their choice but even they admit the outer vest is more comfortable.

I had back surgery at 23 and would prefer to never do that again. Before the load bearing vests, I did use Tactical Tailor LE suspenders. I will not willingly go back to having to wear everything on my belt. I work in a smaller area in King County, WA. We haven't had anyone complain they look too "tactical" or "militaristic". Most people just ask about the change and once we explain why, they are in favor of it.

Vest.jpg

PM07

Staff member
Velocity/Mayflower LPAC with First Spear cummerbund.
XTS2500 in wingpouch under cummerbund, Taser X2 in Defender Dynamics pouch, , Vievu BWC, SOCP, ATS admin with notebook etc, Nitecore Thumb.

Wolf5

What don't you like about the Safariland carriers? The Bothells are our authorized carrier and the guys really like them, but we're coming from the lame-assed uniform look outer-vest carriers. I will say that I don't like the Safariland pouches and have been convincing guys to buy Esstac and HSGI stuff, most have listened.

We can put everything but our pistol on it. Mine is still on its way, but the guys that got in early and have them generally attach: magazines (2 pistol, 1 rifle), flashlight, handcuffs, baton, radio, IFAK. Most guys are leaving the Taser on the belt. I don't carry an extendable baton, so I will more than likely put a 33-round magazine in the baton pocket once we go to G17s next year.

The initial T&E officers have said how much their backs have loosened up after a few months along the lines of that study that was floating around.

Matt- I'll get pictures once I get mine and get kinks worked out on the set-up. Should be here shortly.
In my opinion, the new V1 Safariland carriers do not handle weight very well. The front seems to sag, especially with hard armor. Not a fan of side closure vest either. That's why I'm a fan of the Armor Express Hardcore. It's set up like a plate carrier. It's is our third carrier over the last 3 years. If the V1 was the first carrier you have worn it would be okay.

TheTick

In my opinion, the new V1 Safariland carriers do not handle weight very well. The front seems to sag, especially with hard armor. Not a fan of side closure vest either. That's why I'm a fan of the Armor Express Hardcore. It's set up like a plate carrier. It's is our third carrier over the last 3 years. If the V1 was the first carrier you have worn it would be okay.

Gotcha... we're not using the V1, we're transitioning in the Bothell which zips up the front. We're in the process of ditching the uniform-look, side-elastic cumberbund turd we were issuing.

Shaky03

Just went to a unit that is authorized to wear an external carrier (Point Blank Guardian). Running the issued 5:11 radio holder/pouch, 5:11 double handcuff case, Tactical Tailor Small OC spray pouch, blue force gear tourniquet holder, hsgi double pistol pouch and hsgi pistol/rifle pouch. I opted to not use the issued Blackhawk pistol magazine pouches. Front of the vest has two large pouches Velcro pouches that run along the front of the vest that hold my baton and flashlight. Using the magnetic mount for the Axon camera battery pack and the shoulder/vest mount for the camera there is a hole stitched into the vest where I can run the camera cable through the interior of the vest and out of the shoulder to the camera. Really the only con with the vest I have noticed so far is the zippered pockets are pretty much useless I can barely shove a small notepad into them. I have only been wearing the vest for a little under month and it seems to carry the weight well. Duty gun (Glock 21) and the taser 7 are the only things I am running on the duty belt. Vest1.jpg