Contemporary Minutemen

After listening to the path to rights episode, particularly Ash, I started thinking about the concept of minutemen today. I have no service in mil or leo, but I am equipped and fit. Within 1 minute, I could be ready to go at almost all times. I don't have any affiliation with organized militia. I have only myself and my gear.

Is this a stupid way of thinking? Please respond.

MR2

You truly do not own anything that you cannot carry in your hands at a dead run.

voodoo_man

Established
If you are referring to being ready to defend your community, neighborhood, and/or family, then you would fit the concept of a "minute man" in the traditional colonial concept. There is, of course, a fine line between normal citizen who is capable of violence, a police force, a militia (national guard) and/or the military. Each has their respective place in society.

Chaucer

Amateur
I think there's small level of organization there too. Minutemen had a semblance of grassroots communication and leadership.
I think it lies between home defense and militia.

I've always felt, atleast in my area, there should be more neighbourly communication. A true minuteman, in my mind, is part of a small informal, quick response group of neighbors that can react in force.

The driveway special isnt any use if youre the only one at the end of your driveway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Joe _K

Established
Make Militias Great Again. I don’t know about y’all but when I hear that word I think of Bubba with an SKS, an NCStar optic, wearing budget all the things and being a liability.

Comms, Logistics, Safe Houses/Resupply points, and Team training are/would be paramount to a modern day Minuteman force being successful in anything beyond keeping an unarmed spontaneous riot, home invasion, or looters post natural disaster at bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chaucer

Amateur
Make Militias Great Again. I don’t know about y’all but when I hear that word I think of Bubba with an SKS, an NCStar optic, wearing budget all the things and being a liability.

Comms, Logistics, Safe Houses/Resupply points, and Team training are/would be paramount to a modern day Minuteman force being successful in anything beyond keeping an unarmed spontaneous riot, home invasion, or looters post natural disaster at bay.

Lmao thats an awesome description. My brother in law legitimitely has an SKS with an NCStar scope. I have converted him and he is currently ordering a SOLGW 16 inch and selling the sks.

The militias here in Illinois are..odd. In south/central, the training they do comes from 1984 VHS tapes. And closer you get to the city, all you get are S&W MP Sport 2's with barska "laser scopes" and taurus G2's.

I dont trust either type to affiliate with. Maybe thats wrong of me to judge, eventually those are the people I will have to be either next to or across from.

--Chaucer

Low_Speed_Notper8or

Heck, not even running around and playing rambo, but having a mutual aid society with communications, medical capability, and a neighborhood watch program if shit goes sideways probably is going to go a long way

I know you guys want to do high speed low drag shit, but in reality, to be successful you have to serve the community. Like if a disaster were to happen, its probably going to be doing stuff like passing out water and radios to people, doing wellness checks, and maybe doing a neighborhood watch patrol.

Also for god sakes anything like this would need to be non-political (besides being maybe broadly constitutionalist) both to not alienate people and also to keep out of trouble. We need to try to help people and keep the status quo in thie country, not be a bunch of right wing neck bearded nutjobs making things worse

Low_Speed_Notper8or

Lmao thats an awesome description. My brother in law legitimitely has an SKS with an NCStar scope. I have converted him and he is currently ordering a SOLGW 16 inch and selling the sks.

The militias here in Illinois are..odd. In south/central, the training they do comes from 1984 VHS tapes. And closer you get to the city, all you get are S&W MP Sport 2's with barska "laser scopes" and taurus G2's.

I dont trust either type to affiliate with. Maybe thats wrong of me to judge, eventually those are the people I will have to be either next to or across from.

--Chaucer

Maybe try to help them out I guess IDK they have them here in Indiana and its like a combination bubba, elmer fudd, alex jones conspiracy theorists, and fox news addict medicare recipients

Joe _K

Established
Think about if some of the instructors we all know, respect, and have trained with were to form their own loosely organized “Militia” equipment would be standardized-ish. Quals could be maintained, a minimum of equipment on hand, in person, in vehicle, and at home.

You would have your nearest 3 dudes that were in the “in” and each of you would have at least one guy on your block, in your apartment complex, across the back 40 or in your town/county that you would pull in. The neighborhood watch deal would be for dealing with low key stuff.

But if anything in order of magnitude greater than a Katrina kicked off, and if able to you could respond and have at a minimum a trained, equipped, prepared and well armed fire team reinforced. Different tiers of groups based off of who these people were and what mission set they were prepared and capable of carrying out.

Low_Speed_Notper8or

Think about if some of the instructors we all know, respect, and have trained with were to form their own loosely organized “Militia” equipment would be standardized-ish. Quals could be maintained, a minimum of equipment on hand, in person, in vehicle, and at home.

You would have your nearest 3 dudes that were in the “in” and each of you would have at least one guy on your block, in your apartment complex, across the back 40 or in your town/county that you would pull in. The neighborhood watch deal would be for dealing with low key stuff.

But if anything in order of magnitude greater than a Katrina kicked off, and if able to you could respond and have at a minimum a trained, equipped, prepared and well armed fire team reinforced. Different tiers of groups based off of who these people were and what mission set they were prepared and capable of carrying out.

The thing is I think for the most part from carbine classes and 3 gun events I have shot most serious guys have standardized on AR-15 and Pmags.

Equipment and shooting skills would not be so much of a problem as getting guys used to working together safely in a team with other guys and able to move and communicate together.

Though I question what would the purpose of building fighting rifle squads in CONUS be instead of neighborhood watch/disaster relief groups? Are we at the point where civil conflict is likely in the USA? What exactly would we be trying to achieve and who exactly would be likely opponents?

Disregarding the questionable wisdom of participating in one, any kind of internal conflict in the USA would be messy and irregular, and I question weather organizing ourselves like a conventional US Military formation would really be suitable for such a situation.

Joe _K

Established
[/QUOTE]..........

Though I question what would the purpose of building fighting rifle squads in CONUS be instead of neighborhood watch/disaster relief groups? Are we at the point where civil conflict is likely in the USA? What exactly would we be trying to achieve and who exactly would be likely opponents?

Disregarding the questionable wisdom of participating in one, any kind of internal conflict in the USA would be messy and irregular, and I question weather organizing ourselves like a conventional US Military formation would really be suitable for such a situation.[/QUOTE]

Regardless of wether we are at that point, when a war actually happens here wether civil, or foreign invader, would we rather have the culture, and more importantly, pass on the culture of martial discipline, small unit conventional and unconventional tactics, and mastery of arms to our children, or let it sort itself out AFTER the next “shot heard round the world? As I see it, we are talking about modern day Militia minutemen, not neighborhood watch, SAR, or a social club like the Rotary.

What would we lose if we trained our ass off to be the Wolf at the gate, instead of the thorn in the side we are now to any threat, foreign or domestic? Basic SOPS like Med pouches go here, we do NOT use XYZ, strong wall vs running the walls, creating rat lines, initial comm, link up and signal plans, everyone can shoot A standardized Qual with their system, a basic load-out for High vis ops etc, would help us be the “Well regulated Militia” we were meant to be.
Instead, currently we are like the various Native tribes circa 1620, we see the writing on the wall, but tribes are formed/forming, digging in our heels and each choosing our response instead of a unified response.

We have the curse and benefit of modern technology. Let’s be the Apache, not the Algonquin, but be them NOW. Not 200 years later.
My wife is 100% Native. I see the very real, traumatizing, perspective of being a conquered people every day, even though it went down in her Great Grandparents Day, not hers. Reservations, drugs, alcohol addiction, “Govt. assistance”, and the forceful manipulation of an entire culture. I won’t let it happen again, not on a small or broad scale sense. I don’t care if it’s the Amish, Libertarians, Sikhs, Jews, Gun Owners, or the Muslims. If anyone in this country thinks they will round up and exterminate any group of law abiding peaceful people they can go to the hell they will have made for them self.

2b765052e586de5beb28b7a6b23f9c62.jpg
e920cecd6e74dca4915e06deb29095d1.jpeg

Chaucer

Amateur

Disregarding the questionable wisdom of participating in one, any kind of internal conflict in the USA would be messy and irregular, and I question weather organizing ourselves like a conventional US Military formation would really be suitable for such a situation.[/QUOTE]

Regardless of wether we are at that point, when a war actually happens here wether civil, or foreign invader, would we rather have the culture, and more importantly, pass on the culture of martial discipline, small unit conventional and unconventional tactics, and mastery of arms to our children, or let it sort itself out AFTER the next “shot heard round the world? As I see it, we are talking about modern day Militia minutemen, not neighborhood watch, SAR, or a social club like the Rotary.

What would we lose if we trained our ass off to be the Wolf at the gate, instead of the thorn in the side we are now to any threat, foreign or domestic? Basic SOPS like Med pouches go here, we do NOT use XYZ, strong wall vs running the walls, creating rat lines, initial comm, link up and signal plans, everyone can shoot A standardized Qual with their system, a basic load-out for High vis ops etc, would help us be the “Well regulated Militia” we were meant to be.
Instead, currently we are like the various Native tribes circa 1620, we see the writing on the wall, but tribes are formed/forming, digging in our heels and each choosing our response instead of a unified response.

We have the curse and benefit of modern technology. Let’s be the Apache, not the Algonquin, but be them NOW. Not 200 years later.
My wife is 100% Native. I see the very real, traumatizing, perspective of being a conquered people every day, even though it went down in her Great Grandparents Day, not hers. Reservations, drugs, alcohol addiction, “Govt. assistance”, and the forceful manipulation of an entire culture. I won’t let it happen again, not on a small or broad scale sense. I don’t care if it’s the Amish, Libertarians, Sikhs, Jews, Gun Owners, or the Muslims. If anyone in this country thinks they will round up and exterminate any group of law abiding peaceful people they can go to the hell they will have made for them self.

2b765052e586de5beb28b7a6b23f9c62.jpg
e920cecd6e74dca4915e06deb29095d1.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]I couldnt agree more. My grandmother was a first generation Japanese-American during WW2, so I feel you on the reality of how quickly that can . Things like katrina, japanese internment, and the LA riots are the reasons I got into firearms after growing up in a 'gun free zone' household.

I think the extra cultural values arent to be ignored. But with the last two reports of cyberattacks on powergrids, and I genuinely want a minuteman unit to coordinate with. I dont see that eventuality as Alex Jones territory.

Threats foreign and domestic.

shoobe01

Established
Among the many, many post-9/11 things I was disappointed in, one that seemed obvious to me was creating a formalized citizens militia. Much more about policy and procedure, keeping an eye out, communications, etc. than shooting, but also shooting sure. More important than a gun from an approved list probably is an issued radio (now: secure mobile?) and you can call in to a dispatch center, or be yourself dispatched to help out. Whether neighborhood, major incident, or natural disaster, have an organized system of this stuff nationally. Presumably run by states, but organized at a fed level so consistency and you can borrow people for regional events.

Bonus: disarm the arguments for existence of the whackjob mad bomber militias. Risk: that's the militia so no one else gets guns, etc.