Comms info - Too long for FB

Lane C

Rico and the Man
Staff member
This was a response regarding a comms question on the FB Gear thread. It may have been too long. So I dropped it in here to share.

Okay.....Here we go. As a primer I am a retired SWAT copper with tinitus from years of non hearing protection boom boom time to using hearing protection with comms for the job. Another disclosure is that I am a distributor for TCI, Invisio and Galvion/Revision. I have used Peltor, Inviso and TCI. So I will base my information on the models that I have experience with. I really hate to shit talk other brands. I feel it lacks class. So up front, I have seen quality in TCI, Invisio, Peltor, Sordin, Revision/Galvion and Atlantic Signal.
Lets talk mission requirements. Most people do fine with a single comm system. That keeps the cost down. However, you may have a team assignment where you need two radios, one for inner-squad comms and one for command comms. Or you are using cellular as a open line comm or PTT group talk system. Or you are on a task force that needs multi comms for your team of merry marauders and comms with another supporting agency. I will address each of the systems that I have used and how they fall into the above mission requirements.
Peltor Comtacs. these were the first system that I used in a single comm format. The peltors were an over the ear system with a wide metal band that went over the top of the head. What i loved about them. The Comtac had a slim profile and fit under, at the time, a full cut helmet. I removed padding inside of the helmet where the metal band would rest on my head I could use them comfortably on ops. The boom mic was quick remove, plastic style clamps thingie that allowed me to switch from left or right side mounts. The boom mic connected to the HP using a 2-pin Nexus connector and the voice system was awesome. It used a U92 NATO plug that was supposed to be compatible with other manufacturers U93 female receiver PTT. The plastic outer covering was a bit larger in diameter and sometimes would not fit into non-peltor PTTs. A little file work on the plastic and it worked like a champ. AA batteries were easy to replace as the Comtacs I had use a friction plate on each cup to open with a tumbnail, bottle opener or flat blade screwdriver to replace the batteries. I did have some issues where the battery compartment cover would not lock into place properly. Never lost a battery, but would sometimes loose connectivity with NRR and comms because the friction fit battery cover would not fit into place. the boom mic has a small c-clamp grip to latch onto the left or right side of the comms. Over time, rolling around in a gear bag the c-clamp, made of molded plastic lost its "friction" spec and would flop around and fall off the comms. A quick zip tie repair was what got them back in action. We used the rubber ear cups and never used the gel-ear cups. The rubber cups would degrade, crack easily over a 1-2 year time frame. IIRC the comms that I had in the early 2000's would "shut-off" during high dB encounter such as weapon fire. That was the design. Customer service was great. Had to pay for a couple of upgrades to the system. Peltor was fast to receive and resend the units.
Tactical Command Industries aka TCI. We next used the TCI Liberator II and Lib III. We used these in the configuration of the wire-neck band with eh thin neon over the head band. Some of the guys used the velcro adapter kit to attach too helmets. I was still a fan of using the comms separate from the helmet for two reasons. Once an objective was secured I liked to drop my lid if i was posted on outer security, doing med chats, etc. I also like having the comms under the helmet to help stabilize my NODs from tilting and making my helmet tilt like a beret!
A note about the Lib II vs the Lib III. In the TCI Lib series if the number designator is EVEN, then you have a single comm system. If the number is ODD you have a dual comms system.
Lib II and IV are single comm, Lib III and V are dual comm. There is a difference. The single comm use a U92 NATO plug and the dual comm use a multi pin system. The multi pin system is needed for the multi comm capability of the headset and the PTT. So user beware. If you thing you can take a single comm TCI headset and plug it into a TCI dual comm PTT, it aint gonna happen!!!!
Back to the things i liked about the Lib II. Lib II has a great slim profile that will fit under full-cut helmets. The velcro headband and wire neck band are very comfy under a helmet. However, I have had some complaints from end users that use the BOA suspension systems the the neck band is in the way or the suspension and uncomfortable. The Lib series comms boom mics are all hard-wired and hard-connected to the headset. So no issues with the boom mic as i had with my Peltors in the past. Just remember that you are stuck with either left or right boom mics based on shooter preference. The volume + and - and OFF are large and easy to access with gloved finger. Single comm Lib series use two choices of PTT, wither the Delta PTT which is a big hockey puck with eh PTT recessed in the housing. Super durable. The Alpha PTT is a unit that has a PTT on the side, commonly called the "trigger" because of the way it is pressed. It had a volume adjust dial on the PTT for adjusting volume on the radio. The PTT is a one and done designed. In other words you buy at PTT for an APX radio and when the radio design changes you have to purchase the PTT and radio download as a combined unit. The Lib single comm series use 2x AAA batteries and the life span is awesome. But the method of removing and istalling the batteries is a test in patience. The batteries insert into a single AAA hole and then stack on top of each other. A long, thin screwdriver helps. And if anyone has mitered this technique I would love to hear about it!!!!!!!
TCI Lib dual comm system are the III and V. The dual comm PTT is a dual PTT with a black button and red button. Along with the color designation for radio left and radio right there is a textured symbol on each plug to tactile feel which radio to use for PTT. The dual comm PTT uses a U92 and U93 connection on the radio download side to allow you to change multiple radio downloads or 2.5mm/3.5mm jacks for cellular.
The dual comm system also uses a program called RACE. Which is a fancy acronym for smart technology to run either stereo or L-R ear comms based on single radio and dual radio use. Also available in a bluetooth technology for connection cellular. Have never used the BT tech on the TCI.
Customer service with TCI is awesome. TCI was procured by Safariland. So if you need an RMA you need to find it on the SL website. Or contact a distributer for any help.
A note about the recently released Lib IV and V. The first versions had a significant battery drain. That is a software upgrade and need to be sent into TCI for upgrade. The also have improved the battery system with a dual fuel capability of justin either 2x AAA or 1X CR123. The Lib IV and V come in a Univeralc kit which includes over the head band, Scorpion ARC rail helmet mounts and a velcro nylon head band fro seeing up to wear however you wish! The cups on the Lib IV and V are a bit thicker and some agencies have reported disfficulty with fitting under full cut helmets If you wear a Mid or high cut you should be fine. TCI also has a plug that allows you to connect any of the Lib series comms to a mask mask via a Y-connector that plugs between the PTT and the headset. Finally the gel ear cups on the TCI are uber comfy and also increase NRR.
Invisio. Is a comms system that is in use all over the world with Mil and LE. Many NSN parts. Invisio is a truly modular system. in other words you procure the headset, PTT and radio download separate. So you could tailor the system you need and also be modular in the future. Here is how it works. Headsets. The T-5 is an over the ear just like a TCI, Peltor or Sordin. The X-5 is an in the ear bone mic system with NRR and the M-3 is an single in the ear bone mic without NRR, kinda like a secret service earpiece.The headsets plug into a PTT with a multi pin connector so they are all compatible. The PTT comes in the following formats. V-10 single comm, V-20 single comm with bluetooth, V-50 dual comm with a AA battery power supply and the V-60 triple comm capable. After the PTT you procure your radio downleads. They are also multi pin so you could easily replace down-leads as your agency changes radios. I experienced about 5 different radios in a 20 plus career. So that is a valid point to the modularity. You can also plug ICS systems and cellular down-leads into the comms ports of the PTT.
Back to headsets. Most people go with the X-5. A significant note is the design of the X-5. it is an in-ear unit that requires some getting used to. If you pop these in for an 8 hour range day, you're gonna have a sore ear from the in-ear canal tips. The kit comes with 6x sized canal tips for the correct fit. You should break the ear canal in over short durration events until comfortable. I would say maybe 7-10 days. Once that is done you are good to go. The X-5 has a small black dot on the headset of the right ear. That is the bone conduction microphone that needs to be seated behind the Tragus, that little triangle flap in your ear. If it does not get fitted properly you will not be able to transmit. This is the most common issue I run into with end users, mostly because they fail to RTFM aka read the manual and get the proper fit of the canal tips. Once properly fitted you are set and easy day on XMIT!. The X-5 has three points of contact on or in the ear. 1- is the canal tips, 2-is the inner ear spring and 3- is the over the ear hoop. So once installed these babies are in good and no more hearing the big boom when running and gunning and having your ear pro fall off or out of place when getting into funky shooting positions. The system powers up off of radio battery power. So if you use a V-10, V-20 or V-60 PTT they will require a connector to a radio. Think about that. No more having to look for AAA or AA batteries to put into your comms. If your radio battery has an average 10 hour battery life, you will use about 90 seconds of battery power with the headset connected. You can use either the V-50 PTT which has a 1x AA battery in the PTT for power or a separate "dongle" that uses 1x AA and inserts into any of the down-lead multi pins in the V-10, V-20 or V-60. In the very small percentage of people that i meet that have really small ear canals, the X-5 won't work or fit in their ears. So the T-5 over the ear system works. This is mostly in dudes or dudettes that have been wrestling or MMA and have jacked up ears!
Another advantage of the modularity of the system is that you can plug in a umbilical cord between members and it works ads an open line of comms without affecting the PTT capability. So if you are a sniper/observer team or a armored vehicle turret gunner/driver or a patient/medic, you can plug in and chat with out using the radio or PTT to communicate. Another feature that is impressive with the Invisio is that as the headset receives noise, it breaks it down to below a hearing safe level for the end user. So if you are at the range and you hear gunfire, the gunfire does not cut out, it is reduced to a hearing safe level and you ear everything. You control radio volume throughs the radio and then you control ambient sounds though a toggle switch the goes from normal, to high to low and then if you want you can shut it off. You can also add a covert headset to the system such as iPhone cords. If you are on surveillance or overwatch. You can plug a set of any manufacturer mm jack earphone with a microphone into the PTT and use you radio in a covert manner.
Galvion/Revision. They have a headset out that is currently designated for Mil use. I have played with it once, but that is it. I am sure once it gets released for LE I will get some time behind it and have input.
So there you have it. A long post about comms and capabilities. I prefer to take the time and give context about the why and what you need when procuring gear for LE, not just a buy A, B, or C because I said so.
Take the time and look into the other manufacturers products to see what will best fit you needs. For LE and Mil that are paying out of they own pocket or uniform allowance give us a ring. we are happy to extend Agency pricing to you.
Good Luck!

Josh Money

What is the downlead connection from the ears to the Alpha PTT? I don't see it listed anywhere. I have run a cell on a SAS Dual radio PPT and the low volume sucked. I like the idea of this being louder with optional volume knob. Looking to upgrade to AMP headsets and need to know what kind of downlead to purchase.