Combat Strength and Conditioning Seminar Oct 24, 2015.

ranger5

Combat Strength and Conditioning Seminar October 24, 2015 Southern Pines Cross Fit Gym Southern Pines, NC

On October 24, 2015 I attended Pat MacNamara’s Combat Strength and Conditioning Seminar. This is my second evolution at this particular facility and seminar. I first attended this seminar 3 years ago at age 66. At that time I was in reasonably good shape and somewhat heavier that I wanted to be at this stage in my life (recently retiring from a Chief of Police position that required more sitting than action!).

I found the second evolution to be an improved version of the first and, to my delight I was in much better shape to handle various exercises. In short, following Mac’s exercise guidance and eating smaller, healthier portions had made a world of difference in my life.

All of Mac’s training programs are based upon performance and not someone’s imaginary standard. Its about what “ you can do, with how much and how long ….” Mac is an outstanding trainer; he is organized and provides more than enough humor and common sense for anyone to see the benefit of his ideas.

This facility used for this class is the Southern Pines Cross Fit Gym. The facility is excellent and well suited for this type of training/class. The owner is also a certified Olympic weight lifting trainer. His contribution in the training is important.

The training begins around 9am and runs thru about 3:30-4pm. Both times the class size has been around 8-10 students. Perfect for individual attention. Mac begins with a short lecture on how he developed this class and the purpose for the training. The goal is to increase your efficiency to perform day to day tasks and to protect your loved one if necessary.

Before beginning Mac’s program he and the owner of the gym explain the correct way to lift weights. This is important for safety as well as proper gains. Most students in both classes I attended commented on how they wish they had had this type of instruction in high school!

This program is organized around 4 basic programs, one each day. Each program has 5 exercises x 5 circuits and each circuit is one minute in duration. Moving quickly between exercise with little or no breaks. Done properly, this is a very effective workout and will quickly tire you out!

Components of a Circuit Workout

· Speed/Quickness

· Strength

· Power

· Hypertrophy

· Each day add stretching, abdominals and balance

The goal is to do each workout in anaerobic chunks at your metabolic threshold to achieve an aerobic goal.

Mac explains each component and then he organizes a workout around each. At the end of the day, a student will experience each circuit and you can easily figure out what might work for you when you return to your home.

A portion of the class is devoted to self-defense training and how to throw and block a punch.

What were the most important takeaways for me?

· You cannot outperform your own self-image. Fitness increases confidence.

· Limits begin where vision ends

· You cannot over work your muscles but you can under recover! The body must rest to improve.

I would strongly recommend this seminar (or any of Mac’s classes) to anyone. You don’t have to be fit to attend this seminar. You need an open mind and a desire to improve. This training and system is simple and easy to learn. The rest is up to you.