Combat knives

PM07

Staff member
I like knifes a lot but I've whittled it down to basically 3 blades. Look at the HiTS knife by Joe Watson. Great blade. Centerline on my vest is the Benchmade SOCP as a get off me blade. Emerson Commander folder in my pocket. One of the plusses as mentioned is that both the HiTS and SOCP are available with trainers.

Default.mp3

Established
I like knifes a lot but I've whittled it down to basically 3 blades. Look at the HiTS knife by Joe Watson. Great blade. Centerline on my vest is the Benchmade SOCP as a get off me blade. Emerson Commander folder in my pocket. One of the plusses as mentioned is that both the HiTS and SOCP are available with trainers.
Even the Emerson Commander has a trainer:
Comm-Trnr.jpg

Commander-Trainer.jpg

http://emersonknives.com/shop/commander-the-knives/commander-trainer/

kinley

I had a commander and it didn't hold up so I traded it away. I love Emerson's wave feature, it's revolutionary. Currently I carry a DPX HEST or DPX Shred. But I have this in my pocket today.

05ecd56e862b92ec27afd3853be5480e.jpg

Great knife that I will be demoing in a future video. I need to get better with it first though.

Anyway the DPX HEST II has held up substantially better than the commander, is easier to sharpen and just all around a more robust knife for much less.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--ESEE-DPx-HEST-Folder--6996

Will Morgan

I've owned countless Emersons. They're great out of the box, but eventually the tolerances on the hardware loosen up, the g10 loose much of their grippiness and the blades get chewed up. If their price point was about $100 lower per knife, it'd be fine, but if I'm spending anything more than $150 I want something that'll be in the family for a while (as in, longer than me.)

I like ZT's stuff. I hate assisted openers even more than auto, which limits my selection, but just about everything they put out is solid.

kinley

How did your Commander not hold up? Did you contact Ernie about the issue(s)?

It's a great knife. I'm not here to rip on it. I did get replacement parts for the thumb stud that fell off. I just had a few things that loosened up, one fell off, coating came free, and I didn't like the one angle grind as it was hard to sharpen. This knife would be great for some but not me.

You have to understand too that I demo knives and am super spoiled and picky. I have boxes of them. It's a great knife but not the one for me.

kinley

I've owned countless Emersons. They're great out of the box, but eventually the tolerances on the hardware loosen up, the g10 loose much of their grippiness and the blades get chewed up. If their price point was about $100 lower per knife, it'd be fine, but if I'm spending anything more than $150 I want something that'll be in the family for a while (as in, longer than me.)

I like ZT's stuff. I hate assisted openers even more than auto, which limits my selection, but just about everything they put out is solid.

Nailed it.

kinley

So this will be one of the knives I demo in this video.

bbd77e327d3c2cfb20e22a628bae9198.jpg

I have the larger DPX HEST 2.0 too, but I want to demo a blade that is legal in most all states, and this smaller blade fits the bill.

kinley

Now all I need is a fixed blade and we can film. Then open the gates of Hades and let the trolls flow.

Longeye

Established
Did this project ever go live?

Did you find a fixed blade?

While not specifically a fighting knife, I like my SEAX as a one knife solution to most questions.

Its handle shape allows a variety of grip styles, protects your hand from over running the blade, and is friendly in nature. The SEAX blade shape is very functional. Its point is centered and thick enough for light prying but pointed enough for starting a thrust cut. The edge is straight enough to get full use out of the cut, whether near the tip, belly or rear of the blade. It is a well proportioned knife that never feels like the blade has more leverage than the handle.

When you consider that a lot of fighting knife designs are pretty worthless for anything else, the SEAX shines as a GP knife that can cut its way out of trouble. And it does not matter if the trouble is a tough steak, a line entanglment, or that guy that won't take "Fuck Off" for an answer.

Zion Forge also has some good designs with some flexibility in options. I think you get a discount if you can pronounce his name right, but most folks just call him Majic. The guy knows how to run a knife too.