Combat knives

kinley

I'm looking at a video project.

I need everyone's personal favorite, or most coveted choice for a 4-6" fixed blade combat/defensive knife.

The criteria includes no Karambits.

I love them too but I'm showing a folding Karambit and so I can't /won't use a Karambit fixed blade for this video.

Suggestions?

Matt

Staff member
I'd like to see the following featured:

Tom Halloran SEAX
Winkler Knives II Belt Knife
Spyderco Reverse
Bush Monkey Knives TBS
Shivworks Clinch Pick
Strider DB
Al Mar SERE Operator

And just for shits and gigs because it is cheap as shit and very good for light use:

Morakniv Companion

KUTF

The stated blade length may remove a few old reliables from contention, such as the Fairbairn-Sykes and similar designs, Ka-Bar USMC, etc...

For full size military "combat" knives the Randall Model 1 (or the 5.5" Airman) and John Ek's Commando Knives should be included for starters, just to keep the tradition alive.

kinley

I'd like to see the following featured:

Tom Halloran SEAX
Winkler Knives II Belt Knife
Spyderco Reverse
Bush Monkey Knives TBS
Shivworks Clinch Pick
Strider DB
Al Mar SERE Operator

And just for shits and gigs because it is cheap as shit and very good for light use:

Morakniv Companion

LOL well I have a couple of Moras!

I unfortunately can only demo one and need a way to get it!

Can you post any links?

kinley

The stated blade length may remove a few old reliables from contention, such as the Fairbairn-Sykes and similar designs, Ka-Bar USMC, etc...

For full size military "combat" knives the Randall Model 1 (or the 5.5" Airman) and John Ek's Commando Knives should be included for starters, just to keep the tradition alive.

I have and like the old reliables.

For this purpose though they're to big.

Matt

Staff member
If you can only choose one my vote would be for the Halloran SEAX, there aren't many videos of those around.

Matt

Staff member
I am sure someone here does, but you could reach out to him on his FB page as well.

Default.mp3

Established
In the same category as the Clinch Pick, but a bit flashier/more exotic, is Ian Wendt's Maleficus.

Something a bit larger than the Clinch Pick also designed by Craig Douglas is the Disciple. Not sure who makes those these days, besides Ban Tang, and it's not something he makes regularly. If you sign up for TPI (Craig's forum), you can see some of Ban's variations in this thread.

kinley

In the same category as the Clinch Pick, but a bit flashier/more exotic, is Ian Wendt's Maleficus.

Something a bit larger than the Clinch Pick also designed by Craig Douglas is the Disciple. Not sure who makes those these days, besides Ban Tang, and it's not something he makes regularly. If you sign up for TPI (Craig's forum), you can see some of Ban's variations in this thread.

Got a phone number for the manufacturer?
It's actually hard to find on google as I'm not sure who the legit manufacturer is.

I'm very interested in the bottom two knives because they are double bladed.

Default.mp3

Established
Got a phone number for the manufacturer?
It's actually hard to find on google as I'm not sure who the legit manufacturer is.

I'm very interested in the bottom two knives because they are double bladed.
Those two are by Ban Tang. No phone number that I know of, but his website is here: http://bantangknives.com/wordpress/

I contacted him via PM on TPI, IIRC, to order my single edge Clinch Pick (since double edge is of dubious legality in the TX; there are loopholes of sorts, but I'd rather not try them out), and then corresponded with him via email afterwards (ban_tang@yahoo.com).

If you're interested in double edged, well, Ian Wendt also does those, though they're not standard:

Note that the second blade is the double edged version of the Novitiate, Ian's version of the Disciple:

Ian Wendt's website: http://specialcircumstancesinc.blogspot.com/
I corresponded with him about my Maleficus on both TPI and using this email: specialcircumstancesinc@gmail.com

Default.mp3

Established
Also, note that the Clinch Picks have been made by several different makers. According to Craig Douglas, around June of 2014, the makers of the CP and it's total numbers:
Craig Douglas said:
TraceRinaldi customs
Aeroblade mid techs
Ron Clark mid techs
Phil Rose mid techs
Ban Tang customs
and finally China Picks

About 1800 give or take 50 or so.

Currently, Ban makes the customs (S35VN, IIRC, with a nice sheath), while CC Defense and TAD Gear sell the made-in-China CPs (AKA China Picks), which was a project that Craig started up and started delivering late summer of 2014 (Sandvik 12C27 with mediocre, though serviceable, sheaths).

For awhile, there was also the Paul Moore B.O.B. (Back Off Blade) that many people used as a pseudo-CP.

kinley

Great replies. I'll look into the Ban Tang if the others fall through. I needed to decide and I'm looking heavily at the SERE and the Clinch Pick Disciple.