Colt SMG

Default.mp3

Established
I've been considering getting a pistol-caliber carbine and suppressing it, just for shits and giggles, and have been heavily considering a 9mm AR, given that I still don't trust SIG's MPX at all, and I'd like to keep a similar manual of arms and not spend over 2k USD. Are the new Colt AR6951s any good? If I chop the barrel down, will that have any serious effect on the gun, given that it's a blowback design? Should I be considering any other 9mm ARs designs?

Lobsterclaw207

Dude. Check out the CZ Scorpion. I haven't seen/shot one suppressed, but I did get to fire a full auto version on both semi and full. The thing is freaking sweet, has good manual of arms, was lightweight and felt solid.

They aren't very much money (I believe around $850 retail for the "pistol" version?) and there is a factory stock so you can SBR it, no chopping required.

I'm trying to save up and get one. I like the idea of a gun designed for the pistol caliber vs using an AR design and making 9mm work.

The guys at Battlefield Vegas said they consider the Scorpion the "modern" MP-5.

You could be out the door with the Scorpion for far less than $2k, even including stamps.

Joe R.

I had a full auto Colt 9mm subgun. Was a fun toy but the mags are a weak link. You will need a mag loader to fully load them and they sometimes decide to self unload when dropped. Sold it to fund a new roof.

I now have a CZ Evo and have completed the Form 1 and SBRed it. The Evo is a blast, runs well and the manual of arms is pretty much like an MP5 which I spent a good deal of time on in my younger years. The aftermarket parts industry is quickly coming onboad and making all kinds of parts for the gun. Best part, the price. For less than an MPX or even most AR based 9mms I got the gun, 922r kit with stock, tax stamp and a bunch of mags.

shoobe01

Established
Have fired two Colt 9 mms. Both broke at least a little while I was firing them. The owners had spare parts and tools With Them. Bolt hold opens have (I gather) a long extension that shears off easily, is just one part that's not well designed. Other issues were just Colt QC so no telling if they have fixed it now.
Also, it's a straight blowback, so gets filthy dirty. Part of the deal of me shooting one was cleaning after. Sucked. Like, as much as an MP5.

MrMurphy

The Colts can be mag sensitive from experience shooting two. Original Colt ok, anything else, issues. That said this was 18 yrs ago. The one I shot flipped a complete live round, upside down ie bullet facing rear, sitting above the bolt.....twice. different mag, different ammo. Wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it.

SWAT guy I knew around 9/11 carried the full auto version for years with colt mags and liked it well enough, but these days I'd still be iffy.