Colt Combat Unit Pistol

Mike F

Amateur
I'm a dedicated G17/G19 guy for duty/off-duty carry, however I would like to buy a duty-quality railed 1911. I'm not looking to replace my Glock as a carry pistol, I'd just like to own a quality 1911 to shoot at the range or possibly to use in single stack USPSA on occasion.

I was curious to see if anyone had laid hands on one of these and if so what their thoughts on are.

BKennedy

Take all of this with a block of salt as I'm a former 1911 guy who's been carrying and shooting Glocks and HK's for the last 10 years or so.
Since I picked up this pistol I've put exactly 400 rounds through it and here's what I can tell you: this gun is a shooter. The checkering is not so sharp that it cheese graters my hands, the sights work as expected, I certainly appreciate the undercut trigger guard, my only complaint is the thumb safety has a bit of overtravel which seems to be the norm with Colts these days. I had no issue ringing steel targets (shaped like hogs, approximately 2' tall x 3' long) at 100 yds or keeping all of my shots in a 3" shoot n see target at 25 yds. I did not shoot on a timer and a don't have a holster for it yet, but if you can run a 1911 I think you'll be fine with this one. Recoil seems subjectively softer with the front sight snapping right back onto target.

A dedicated 1911 guy may see things differently, but for myself after having not owned or shot a 1911 in a long time, these are my impressions.

Mike F

Amateur
What are you considering for a holster(s)? I'm still waiting to see a CCU 1911 in a store near me.

Mike F

Amateur
I also bought a Colt Combat Unit 1911 in .45ACP. It passed the Hilton Yam extractor test right out of the gate with no issues. I put 150 rounds of 230grain ball ammo from Blazer and Independence thru it. Ran thru the ammo well, no hiccups. Shoots as accurately as I allow it to. I enjoyed shooting it. Won't be replacing my Glocks as a duty weapon, but fun to put some rounds thru.

BKennedy

Sorry to bring this one back to life. Mike, I'm wondering if you ever found a decent holster for it. I'd like to get a Safariland ALS for it, but it seems the rail is different enough that some holsters aren't working.

Mike F

Amateur
I ordered and received a Raven Phantom. The Raven folks asked for photos of my pistol to ensure the holster they made would fit.

The folks at Raven said the Combat Unit has the same dimensions as the Colt M45 CQB pistol if that helps.

Ian

Any updates from anyone who owns one? I am considering several railed 9mm guns and this is towards the top.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Mike F

Amateur
I have probably about 1000rds thru mine as an occasional recreational shooter. Has run fine with no issues thus far. No problems feeding, ejecting, etc and has been balls on accurate.

My dad bought the same pistol in 9mm and the ejector broke around about 1000rd count. I'm not sure exactly how it happened, and he is still a novice shooter. He said the gun locked up tight and he forced the slide back breaking the ejector off. He called me afterward, not much I could tell him to do other than to send it in to Colt.

He got it back about a month later and it's been running fine.