CMMG .22LR Conversion Kit Concerns

grantbk

I purchased a CMMG .22lr conversion kit on sale and have found that it is surprisingly reliable and accurate in my M&P-15 VTAC II Rifle. This rifle is in service as my police patrol rifle. I thought I remembered hearing in one of the modcasts that this kit is hard on the hammer and other lower components but I couldn't find that segment again. I would like to use the kit to get more trigger time on my duty rifle but don't want to risk causing a failure in the future. Is anyone aware of these kits causing any issues? Thanks.

Ryan St.Jean

I have one and use it occasionally. It hasn’t caused any issues. Admittedly I might have a thousand rounds through it.

The only caution I have heard is about lead in the barrel. Be sure to clean it before going back to 5.56.

For occasional use I think it will be fine. If you are going to shoot thousands of rounds a month maybe look at a dedicated .22.

Paul053

Amateur
I remember that podcast as well. I think it was the AR QC/QA with Mike from Sons of liberty. They were discussing how any blowback system be it 22lr or 9mm is tough on trigger/hammer pins. I have a dedicated ar 22lr that I use for Appleseed and it has a geissele trigger in it with at minimum 5k 22lr on it. I don't ever check it or maintain it. Geissele himself said to lube it initially and not clean his triggers. let the fouling aid in polishing the surfaces. 5k in and I don't plan to ever check it unless it breaks.
I purchased a CMMG .22lr conversion kit on sale and have found that it is surprisingly reliable and accurate in my M&P-15 VTAC II Rifle. This rifle is in service as my police patrol rifle. I thought I remembered hearing in one of the modcasts that this kit is hard on the hammer and other lower components but I couldn't find that segment again. I would like to use the kit to get more trigger time on my duty rifle but don't want to risk causing a failure in the future. Is anyone aware of these kits causing any issues? Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk