Clothing and Combat Loadout

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
What have you found to work both COTS and Issued for clothing that works in regards to your Combat Loadout.

Both a MIL and LE perspective please.

Base layers, Shells, Puffy Jackets, etc.

Looking at how that stuff works for you when the weather changes and you have to go from warm to cold and still have access to your fighting loadout.

KevinB

I love me some dead bird.

Both for mid and outer layer. Base layer for me depends on mission, Generally anything next to skin and next layer is FR, I've seen too many mancicles burned into their gear to not try to not be extra crispy, I will alter that for long walks, because I don't like being a icicle either, sostuff I will accept for a long walk.is not stuff I may accept for a short duration raid, or flight or vehicle movement (threat dependent).

Patrol wear is geographical - as for a lot of places, the worst off you may need is a raincoat, others full CW ensemble, also how much time you spend out of the car? What works in Fl, will not work in MT, or AK

Lane C

Rico and the Man
Staff member
Layers are the key for this. Im domestic LE, I'm my area of work I can be woking at high-alpine 11,00ish, high desert, slot canyons, swamps and water ways and red rock desert. I base my selection process off of multiple factors. It could be lightweight/packability, breathability, warmth/weight ratio, etc. Most of the fabrics that work great for getting soaked and then quickly drying won't have FR capabilities based on the type of work you are doing.

For DA work I prefer cotton or wool base layers and utilities. But those are normally mobile approach short term operations so clothing selection for cold temperates will be more high-performance synthetics.

Sounds like the posting is leaning towards guys stepping off tarmac and entering the wild. I use the Med 3's rule for thinking about priorities. A medical emergency for peeps is normally 3 mins w/o air, 3 hours of exposure, 3 days w/o hydration and 3 weeks w/o nutrition.

Base layers - I prefer year round wool base layers. They have minimal stink, dry fast, insulate while wet and have FR properties. Injinji toe sock for me to prevent blisters and wick moisture from between toes. REI thin wool liner socks over the toe sock to add insulation or padding. Icebreaker, Patagonia or Helly Hansen are more preferred base layers, they are thin, durable, good price point, etc. I had some RHO layers that were actually to thick for my preference. But they were damn tough.

Insulating layers - Thin softshell layers are nice for a vary level of temperatures. I have been happy with the Patagonia MARS line of SS also ArcTeryx and Wild Things. Lately I have started using and liking some of the hunting brand manufactured clothing. Sitka makes some awesome pants that have knee pads built in. I love built in knee pads. They are always were you need them and not restrictive. First Lite makes some awesome pants and tops in merino wool. Nice and thin and they have taken a beating.

Wind/Water layers - I rarely wear full gore WPB materials when moving. Cause they really aren't that breathable. But wind and water can be major factors in hypothermia injuries. My favorite LW gore set is the ArcTeryx set. i can't remember if it is the alpha or bravo, just the lightest set they have. for resistant layers (not proof) the Wraith line is fantastic. Beyond Tactical makes great layers and well as Patagonia for these. Again, they are light and simple. not big, bulky and clumsy.

Woobie Layer - The wobble layer is for stationary work. Nothing sucks worse than hoofing it all day, getting sweaty and really hot from movement, too loosing that generated heat without a good layer that traps and insulates that warm air. Down is the king for this in general, but if you are working in a soggy environment and get down wet it is useless. In the winter when it is Cold/Dry I have a nice Patagonia down jacket. In more Cold/Wet environments i use my poncho liner modded with a head hole. The poncho liner stays in my pack 24/7 along with a sip-nylon 10x12 tarp. I have used them for casualties, shelters, bivy's and observation post. I also keep a small piece of ensolite the length of my hips to head to insulate from the ground and also work as improved splints.

Bottom Line - I don't care about the name brands or if it is what the latest tacticool guys is wearing. It needs to be durable, lightweight and work for the environment that I am in. We have a "loose" standard as far as the utility uniform goes. what I mean by that is we don't buy a bulk purchase of one set fits all clothing. It needs to fall within a prescribed earth tone standard color and then we received funds every six months to make individual purchases.

Any of these brands you will be happy with. either in a work utility or if you are a recreational outdoor junkie. Patagonia, TNF, Beyond, Wild Things, First Lite, Sitka, Marmot, ArcTeryx, Injinji, Helly Hansen, Smartwool, I/O Wool, Icebreaker, Jacks-R-Better and HPG. I am sure there are more, but that is what i see in a loaded duffel as we speak that sits in the g-ride for deployments.

Cheers

patriot_man

Not a LEO or Mil but I'd like to throw in my $0.02.

I seriously think the best layer and jacket I've ever bought is a an Arcteryx Atom LT.

Provides enough warmth for all 4 season (at least in CA) and for the rainy months I just throw a hard shell over if it's coming down super hard.

However the Atom repels rain decently and if I had the hoody version I doubt I'd need to put on the hard shell layer for most of the time.

BEST cost to performance ratio in the Arcteryx LEAF line without a doubt. It's no wonder it gets used the most and it's been a year and a half of constant use and still looks new.

KevinB

Maryland State Police has leverage a number of grants and their Tac guys are kitted out head to toe in dead bird, for those LEA's on a budget - look to grants...
You need to account for stuff, but it's effectively free high end stuff, if you spend the time to put pen to paper.

kaltesherz

For mil use I only wear A2CU's in the field / missions. They're basically Nomex versions of ACU's but have significant benefits.

I wore standard ACU and FRACU's - ACU's were ok, but sometimes got hot and lacked FR. FRACU's were more comfortable and obviously FR, but had HORRIBLE durability. They rip very very easily, not only the crotch but the ass, hell I'd rip 'em and not even notice till I got back or someone asked what happened. They also fade very quickly. They're almost disposable.

I then acquired a set of A2CU's. They were FR, very breathable, and comfortable like the FRACU's - yet more durable than standard ACU's. When I was overseas they were very hard to get so I wore my 1 set frequently and they held up for more than 6 months with almost no wear and 100% serviceable. I had to get the seat of the pants restitched , but otherwise were unaltered. They also don't have to be bloused, which really helps in the heat, and have a few more pockets than ACU's. They're also more adjustable- I can take in the waist on the coat so it's easier and less bulk when I tuck it in. And last but not least, they have zippers that don't fail like the velcro does eventually. I've since got about 4 sets in Multicam...

I tried the ACS (Army Combat Shirt) but hated it- smelled like cat piss and was almost impossible to take off after a long mission as it sticks to your back. They also felt hotter. I picked up a few used Crye G2 tops for cheap so I plan on running those if I ever deploy again.

KevinB

I ended up with DriFire - @Roland Deschain for current info.
I have a lot of stuff left over from overseas stuff - that is probably way past it's use point as I have not deployed OCONUS since 10/08.

MrMurphy

Domestic LE now, Texas so hot as hell mostly....

Raincoat and issued puffy bomber jacket for inclement weather, no other option.

Baselayer at all times is a Hanes x temp shirt. Similar performance to underarmor for half the price. My first ones are finally wearing out slowly after 2 yrs heavy use.