Church Door Security for Active Shooter.

Fenrir

I have been assisting my church with security. Currently the doors can only be locked from the outside. I have already suggested having the locks changed so that members can secure the door from the inside. I know they are a couple of devices that stage near doors to allow you to basically lock the door. Any suggests on which devices are the best? Pics of one of our doors to help you suggest the right device. We also have a double door with no center bar.
dd070000b6d9ececed8d30358e8a69f8.jpg
5e6b36096fc2441d9dabb7bf13b9bfa1.jpg
29994bdaeba2e53da85dd1ced93dd322.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
There are some products that can be used to bind the door return made of our old fire hose and other stuff. A belt can work in a pinch. If you don’t let the return expand, the door won’t open.

HCrum87hc

Amateur
There are some products that can be used to bind the door return made of our old fire hose and other stuff. A belt can work in a pinch. If you don’t let the return expand, the door won’t open.
I was coming here to sat this. A belt can certainly do the trick. We had a local security group give a presentation at work for active shooters, and that was one of the items they mentioned and then demonstrated.

Another thing to consider is if the fire code allows for a different type of striker for an exit door. The crash/panic bars are usually required with a capacity of large groups. Might need to speak to the fire marshal before you can change the mechanism.

You might need to look into something like this.

“A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.” - Franklin D. Roosevelt

The security system in the church is essential. I think the door should necessarily be double and with an electronic lock. To enter the church grounds, you must know the lock's code or contact the church staff directly to gain access. You must have heard of cases of terrorist attacks in churches. For example, on June 5th, 2022, there was a terrorist attack in a Catholic church in Owo Local Government Area, Ondo State, Nigeria. Five gunmen started shooting at the church building. Then they entered the church and started shooting at the parishioners. People came to the place where they found peace and became victims of the non-humans. I rarely go to church after this incident. Most of the time, I listen to services at https://firstchurchlove.com. It's much safer that way.

I have been assisting my church with security. Currently the doors can only be locked from the outside. I have already suggested having the locks changed so that members can secure the door from the inside. I know they are a couple of devices that stage near doors to allow you to basically lock the door. Any suggests on which devices are the best? Pics of one of our doors to help you suggest the right device. We also have a double door with no center bar.
dd070000b6d9ececed8d30358e8a69f8.jpg
5e6b36096fc2441d9dabb7bf13b9bfa1.jpg
29994bdaeba2e53da85dd1ced93dd322.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

That little circle on the push bar will allow you to lock it from the inside with a hex key. I don't know exactly what size off the top of my head, but my money says if you grab a set of imperial and metric hex keys and start sticking them in that hole, one of them will get positive engagement and you'll find that by turning it you can lock the door. Conversely, you can press in the bar and turn it the opposite direction to unlock it.

in P&S Modcast 318 the panel discussed quite in depth some of the planning that needs to go into security of facilities and some of their downfalls, was a good episode.

JLL2013

Explain to me the scenario in which you imagine locking the church door from the inside.
Perhaps a description of where the doors lead into would be helpful.