Choosing extracurricular opportunities

jaredd624

I posted this on the Facebook page a while ago, but still wasn't coming to a conclusion. I'm a student at the university of Montana. I'm nearing the end of the selection process for two really good opportunities to supplement my education. The first being a spot on the reserve deputy unit for the local sheriffs office. The second being a spot as a resident firefighter for the rural fire department. I've had law enforcement specific career aspirations since I was a child, and regardless of my decision here that remains my end goal.

The reserve deputy position entails training from January 2016 to June 2016 (160 hours min/ 240 available), upon completion I'll be sworn in. At that point only 16 hours of riding per quarter is required. Though, my intention is to set up an internship through the university so all of my time spent will count toward my earning of upper division credit. Which means I will need to ride as the secondary officer for 150 hours per semester to earn 3 credits. I'm allowed to continue the internship for up to 12 credits. I have about 2.5 years left of school. The reserve deputies after training wear the same uniform and equipment as well as possess the same arrest power as the regular deputies. Though serve only as secondary when on patrol.

The resident firefighter program from my understanding is one of only a few still offered throughout the country. As a resident ff I will live exclusively in a station. It is unpaid technically but in exchange for my work I live for free in the station and I am provided the training for free to acquire several certification including EMT-B, Montana Fire Fighter 1, and several others. The required time spent includes one 12 hour shift (1900-0700) every three days. Some training will be completed on shift, but most will not. A personal friend of mine worked as a resident for two years as a full time student and recommended the program highly. I met the CO of the station who needs a new resident first. After talking and a tour of the station he told me upfront he "wants me in the station as soon as possible". I told him of my potential spot with the sheriffs office, he said he will gladly still recommend me to the chief, and to expect a phone call next week.

I collected some thoughts into a pro/ con list.

PRO's
Reserve Deputy- LE/EMS experience, Internship credit, networking in a department I'd love to work for, LE specific certifications.

Resident FF- EMS experience, EMT and other certifications, Free rent/utilities, potential to network with other agencies.

CON's
Reserve Deputy- uniform and equipment (belt, weapon, vest) are paid for out of pocket

Resident FF- larger time commitment (less time to work my part time job necessary to pay bills), less privacy.

Dr. No

As a 10 year cop... be a firefighter. You will be guaranteed to have pay raises and a great retirement. You can pull just as much tail as cops. A lot of places do 24 hour shifts, which are awesome. Also, no one tries to murder you as part of your daily duties.