Choosing better Facilities Annette Evans - Bill Armstrong

MeadHallRange

Ask Me About My Yard
Annette's article:
Self-defense skills can be challenging to learn. They can be emotionally complex to process and physically difficult to master. We’ve talked here before about ensuring that the people you’re surrounding yourself with in training will help your efforts, and making the effort to use equipment that you don’t have to struggle against. There’s another piece that is just as important, and I was reminded about it when chatting with the owner of Meadhall Range recently, ahead of my visit there later this week. One of the things Bill and I have talked about for years is the enormous investment into facility amenities he’s made, similar to much of the work that went into my own prior range project. It’s not a matter of trying to create some kind of fancy country club, though those are certainly enjoyable. It’s because having a physical environment that doesn’t distract the student is important to create an optimum learning experience.
My self-defense training journey began on shooting ranges. Many are located in geographically isolated areas and even those closer to civilization are often on large pieces of property that have perhaps only one or two permanent structures with walls and roofs, let alone running water and modern plumbing. Those buildings might or might not be a reasonable walking distance to the specific location of a class. Porta potties, outhouses, and even just “go behind the trees over there” were common. Shade and seating were usually bring-your-own affairs, and could require hiking them in because a particular range might not be vehicle-accessible. Poor weather conditions were addressed by asking students to dress appropriately. You were also expected to bring all of the food and hydration you might need for the day, because it might be a 45-minute round trip or more to get to a store.
It’s absolutely possible to learn a lot under those conditions; I did. I even had fun, and in addition to learning the skills I went to class for, learned how to be better prepared to be self-sufficient for short periods of time away from the modern amenities I prefer. As someone who jokes that two-star hotels are “roughing it,” staying in cabins, packing up enough food, water, and gear to be ready for all eventualities, and even - ick - dealing with non-flushing toilets could be a lot to take on with already-intimidating classes. Maybe you’re the type who thinks this is normal and fun, and that’s awesome if you are. It’s going to make parts of your own training journey much more pleasant if you start practicing and attending classes in these types of locations. For everyone else, they can be an enormous source of anxiety and take up a lot of mental cycles and space to make sure nothing is forgotten and everything is managed. Far preferable, I think, to find the kind of place where these types of concerns are fewer (like Meadhall!). Even for people who don’t have a problem with them, the effort it takes to deal with them can take attention away from what you’re there to learn.
Comfort might seem like a luxury, but it’s what allows us to think about what the instructor in front of us is saying and what we’re supposed to be doing. We’ve already explored how emotional comfort can give us the mental space to try new skills with less fear, and how comfortable equipment can buy us more forgiveness as we try to learn how to use it. Beyond that, environmental comfort matters too. It’s not just the great outdoors either, but even factors so simple as an indoor dojo being too hot or too cold with floors too hard or too soft for a hand-to-hand combative fighting skills class, or the air conditioning too high and the chairs too hard for an otherwise interesting and informative lecture. A cushion to sit on for Massad Ayoob’s MAG20 Classroom, a 20-hour deep dive into all of the mental, psychological, and legal aspects of armed self-defense, is not a humorous, tongue-in-cheek suggestion. It can be a necessity so that you’re able to pay attention to the avalanche of information instead of how sore your bottom feels. One of the easiest ways to address this aspect of your learning environment is to do your best to ensure that the facility you’re attending class at has what you need to make you physically comfortable while you stretch your discomfort in other ways.
Then, too, are the safety concerns that can come up with facilities that don’t address what they might dismiss as mere niceties. It can be more difficult in those places to manage illnesses like heat exhaustion and hypothermia. Popping someone in a running car with climate control can help, as can hosts or classmates bringing extra food and water on site, but those may be insufficient to catch and treat more serious problems in more extreme conditions, especially if there is a lack of other resources like simply a place to sit in some shade during breaks. The lack of bathroom facilities can drive these issues too, as women especially may choose to intentionally dehydrate in order to avoid using what is available. Some problems are seemingly much more minor, but can still affect overall safety, with fumbled equipment from freezing fingers or unwise decisions driven either by distractions from the weather or other discomforts or by the cognitive effects of heat- and cold-related conditions.
It’s not that perfect facilities are required to learn effectively. They are not, and you shouldn’t use a lack of them as a reason not to expand your knowledge and skills. However, finding and choosing ones that have the amenities that make your life easier can be worthwhile for you to get the most out of the money, time, and effort you put into your training. If they aren’t available, knowing what’s actually at where you’ll be will help you better prepare. Either way, remember that your physical, creature comforts matter just as much as a good instructor, good classmates, and good equipment.

MeadHallRange

Ask Me About My Yard
Annette and I basically ended up writing sort of companion posts on this topic after our conversation. Mine follows.
The Definition of Irony
I was having a Messenger conversation the other day with Annette Evans (she has the “On Her Own” blog site https://onherown.life/ , great information from Annette’s point of view, check it out). She and I talk reasonably regularly because we both have a very great interest in ranges that aren’t just “regular” ranges. She is even finally getting to visit out here at MeadHall which we have both been looking forward to for a while. Her to see if I have been blowing smoke and I to see what she thinks of the place. *Grin* During that conversation I made a comment that Annette thought I should post, in ALL the places.
1f60a.png
I am going to put that comment below and then go into why she thought it should be posted and why I think it is relevant and go check out her FB page and blog to get her take on it directly.
“In an industry that is all about paying attention to your surroundings and what is going on…no one pays ANY attention to where/how they get the most out of their learning”
This is why the title of this article is what it is. In all the training spheres you will see people spending a significant amount of time and money on better gear, more ammo, the best trainers (hopefully), travel, lodging, and a ton of other things. All to learn to pay more attention and have better skill sets to defend themselves. Yet those same people who will spend sometimes very significant money on yet Another firearm, or gadget, or class or (insert latest hotness here) will use those items and go to those classes at “Facilities”, using this term loosely here, that are perfectly ok with a tree for a bathroom. They have no or pointless “shade”, and no other amenities. Not only that but they will complain if a truly stellar facility has higher facility fees because “I already spent X on class and ammo and travel”. For that matter they will do that at a lot of places.
A lot of people seem to believe that the only thing that matters is the right class and the right instructor, and the range/facility doesn’t mean anything. I have heard instructors say they can hold a class anywhere they can put up targets and students say the range doesn’t matter as long as they can get X instructor. Both things at a base level are true. They are also extremely ironic in that a lot of these classes are talking about human performance, better skillsets, learning new skillsets, and improvement. All in environments where students are willing to completely set aside human performance, adult learning theory, and optimal skillset acquisition knowledge and research.
You have spent this significant amount of money on all the best toys, and going to the best instructors, and you have a limited timeframe to learn from those things, and you are perfectly willing to either put yourself in a very non-optimal learning environment or complain about paying for an environment where you would learn more easily. There is a large disconnect in this scenario. So that we are clear, I am not talking about a “guntry club” where you are going to pay 200 dollars a day and there will be someone to load your mags for you and clean up your brass and deliver your end of day bourbon on a silver tray with a good cigar. If you can afford that, Great! I know that would be cool for sure.
1f60a.png

So what ARE you talking about then? I am talking about an environment that makes it easier to learn. Real bathrooms with heat/air, running water, and porcelain that is clean and doesn’t smell like the Ninja Turtles front porch is a start. A place to take a seat and have real shade that drops temperature more than a degree is another. Water being available. Efficient and effective processes in place. Trash cans that are emptied more than once a year. Equipment and processes to make target changes more efficient and effective (as in more than one stapler where you have to track down staples, etc). And lord forbid a Rangemaster/Owner that actually shoots or instructs instead of just taking the money and disappearing. (They do exist and I know several). Chairs in the classroom that are more than a standard metal folding chair. The ability to heat up some food nearby. All these things and a lot more AFFECT how much you learn in an environment.
How many people say they wish more women would train? Yet those same people usually are perfectly willing to frequent a facility that a woman would find Completely unacceptable. Or if a woman attends one of those she is further reducing her ability to learn and possibly harming her health because she is staying on the edge of dehydration so she doesn’t have to use the “facilities”. (See Annette’s post on this topic to get a great take on THAT). That type of behavior also makes medics furious because it is avoidable. How many guys will reduce fluid or food intake so they don’t have to use those portajohns? Do you know what happens when you reduce fluid or food intake below normal levels? You aren’t as sharp and you don’t learn as well. How many times have people seen someone forget food or water when going to a class? Now, fortunately, this community is great about helping in these cases. Someone will find some extra water or a bit of extra food to send their way.
The main point here is that you wouldn’t buy a premium rifle or pistol and then feed it with old, rusty, crappy mags and ammo, why do you spend a ton of money on these things and then go to a facility that makes you get the least out of them? Does a better facility mean you get a servant to load your mags and pick up your brass? No. It means you get more value from the significant investment you have already made. Frequent better facilities. The more you do the more others see that and we might see more of those facilities arise. Support places that support you. And if you are willing to pay premium prices for an instructor, gear, travel, and ammo, why are you not willing to patronize premium facilities?