Choosing ammo

Reed

Sorry if this is already posted; searched for it and didn't see it. Trying to choose a 9mm carry ammo. What criteria is there for choosing one? What are good resources/research to use? What do you carry and why? Anything else I should know? Currently I have 124 grain gold dot because I heard it was good.

RallyMech

Amateur
I currently carry Hornady Critical Duty 135+P in my G19s after seeing some department testing data. It beat out both Gold Dot and HST in both 124 and 147 grain for consistency in that testing.

The short of it is most of the current options are sufficient, but some perform better than others when you add in common barriers such as laminated glass, steel, etc. Main things is that +P is highly recommended for most guns, and it needs to be accurate out of your specific pistol. The best bullet in the world still has to hit the pumps or wiring in order to stop a threat quickly. If you can't afford 200 rounds of CD, GD or HST won't get you kilt n da streetz. Just make sure you function test a decent amount, make sure your accuracy is good, and have enough on hand to rotate rounds after they get chambered a few times.

Others may be able to post their testing, but for the most part, the only real source is departments and department testing. If it's a round used by a large agency (FBI for example), you can generally trust it to be a good round tested against the FBI protocol.

MojoNixon

Established
I currently carry Hornady Critical Duty 135+P in my G19s after seeing some department testing data. It beat out both Gold Dot and HST in both 124 and 147 grain for consistency in that testing.

The short of it is most of the current options are sufficient, but some perform better than others when you add in common barriers such as laminated glass, steel, etc. Main things is that +P is highly recommended for most guns, and it needs to be accurate out of your specific pistol. The best bullet in the world still has to hit the pumps or wiring in order to stop a threat quickly. If you can't afford 200 rounds of CD, GD or HST won't get you kilt n da streetz. Just make sure you function test a decent amount, make sure your accuracy is good, and have enough on hand to rotate rounds after they get chambered a few times.

Others may be able to post their testing, but for the most part, the only real source is departments and department testing. If it's a round used by a large agency (FBI for example), you can generally trust it to be a good round tested against the FBI protocol.
+P is highly recommended for most guns, by who?