Choosing a scope

I first put a red dot on my rifle about 3 years ago. I bought a cheap one that cost about 70 bucks. My cheap red dot held zero pretty well even under heavy loads. I usually check zero before or after a hunt, just to be on the safe side, but I rarely have to correct it. With all that said, I'm looking for a red dot that's a little higher quality now, and I need recommendations. There are many options and it's easy to get confused, so basically I'm looking for a way to know where to start looking and see which options will work for my use case.

A couple of questions:

What do you plan on doing with it, such as hunting, cqb, mid range shooting, etc? Do you need magnification? Nightvision capabilities? What is your price ceiling? What kind of setup is going on?

IMO, Holosun is the company to look. If you want durable and affordable red dots. Their AEMs is nice, they do have some 503s that are quite attractive in price.

If you want higher quality and not made in China. Aimpoint, their RDS duty is quite nice for an msrp of 499. Eotech would be another option.

1. I plan to hunt small animals (squirrel, hare, etc.). I'm already used to the red dot and don't want to rebuild.
2. Most likely not, I don't see the need.
3. It would be nice
4. Price ceiling up to 300 bucks.
5. Picatinny rail

I have seen Holosun 503s and this option is quite interesting. I was also interested in the Sig Sauer ROMEO line, 4 or 5 series. What do you think about this?

I don't know much about the Sig Romeo 4 series, just a little on the 5. For what you are doing, it should fit the need just fine.