Cheap scope rings/bases

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
There seems to be a misunderstanding that one can get away with going with a cheap base and not suffer any penalties. I know of departments going in that direction for duty gear.

Set them straight.

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
Sometimes you can. LE doesn't have the luxury of living in "sometimes land". Cheap bases can be crooked, warped, have the screw holes drilled in the wrong places (or at the wrong angles), and really don't save enough money to be worth the gamble.

- Jake

Take the best scope and mount it on the best rifle with cheap rings and bases, and you have a cheap rifle and scope combo. Do not go cheap on the interface between scope and weapon. You will pay for it in the long run. I will not name the manufacturer, but have seen scopes come off of weapons in recoil due to cheap manufacturing. I have seen scopes shift in the rings with the scope turrets hitting the ring repeatedly during recoil. I have seen rings that could not be lapped in alignment as they were too far out. This places undo stress on the scope bodies again potentially damaging the scopes as you change power setting.

Do not go cheap as it will bite you in the end with not only ruined gear, but a good lawyer will turn it into a disaster for you in a suit. I believe we called that penny wise and pound foolish years ago. :)