Carrying while running?

Diz

I use a "Fit Belt" or other similar neoprene, stretchy running belt, which makes it easy to carry a IWB holster, with a G-26.

Barry B

Assuming you know your area better, but the one place I am 100% sure to carry is when running in the boonies. Aside from stats of late, only times I have had even peripheral run-ins (and one very no shit run in) with people has been in rural areas, state/fed parks, etc.

Interesting... not surprising the rural run-in comment. I am with you on urban vs boonies. 100% in boonies, bar none.

Arioch

Amateur
Since gyms closed due to the pandemic I shifted to rucking for daily exercise. I basically change nothing from my EDC setup aside from pants, the material I use for rucking breathes a lot better than the denim I usually wear when carrying. Although I did notice that a small amount of rust developed on my firearm due to the increased exposure to sweat (this combined with the range closing down I didn't have much reason to pull my gun out of the holster, or so I thought)

Depends on where I'm running...I'm based in Montana, so we do have a real issue with Grizzlies & Moose on trail runs. This includes a near fatal attack on a trail I usually hit 1-2x per week --> https://www.kpax.com/news/montana-news/state-wildlife-officials-discuss-big-sky-bear-attack. Trail runs, I roll with a G20 in a Kenai Chest Holster. It does affect breathing & bounces around a little bit, but generally I'm not going for speed on a trail run. The extra weight is worth the slight discomfort considering the close calls we've had with the 2 aforementioned animals. I use the Kenai over the HPG Kit bag for faster deployment of the firearm. The HPG is awesome, but a little to much going on with the draw stroke to be as fast as out of a Kenai. In addition, I have one of the camelback water bladder/backpacks (not sure on model) & the shoulder straps help to anchor the straps on the Kenai rig without excessive tightening.

For running around town I use the Unity Clutch belt with a G19, spare mag, cell phone, & medical gear. Like someone said earlier, I wear it a little bit lower so the muzzle of the gun is inline with the belt line of my shorts (Gun is at 1:00). On hot days, I'll usually ditch the shirt and tuck it over a G43 with Ulticlips, with the shirt in between my body and the holster & over the firearm. Its fine for 4-5 miles and then it begins fairly irritable.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
Lately, I've taken to this for ease of carry.

Spiritus Systems Sack - basically a fanny pack/sack.

I put a Glock 26 in a VG2 inside of it, wedged amongst the IFAK thats always in it. Cinch it down tight and go run. No, its not fast to access, but really, I'm running anyways.

Attachments

• spiritus sack.jpg
    spiritus sack.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 39

Barry B

Good info. I read the reviews on the Ulticlips, just ordered a XL model for beltless and belt carry. I have motorcycle pants that have no belt, and need a secure method of carrying on the bike when not wearing jeans or other pants. I have not solved the problem of carrying on person (vice in fanny pack, or other bag) when bicycling.

YouHanoiMe

Sorry for the late post, but I was searching for any new, low profile, solutions since there are so many new running and trail running belts and vests out here these days. I am curious to hear if anyone has better solutions, but here is what I have found best these days:

Most comfortable option - for trail running and hiking, the left chest pocket of the REI Flash 15 holds a micro 9mm great (I keep it in a holster or pocket holster for extra safety). I don’t expect to quick draw but it is the most comfortable and convenient I can find. I would prefer a better hydration vest, such as a Salomon Adv Skin 12 (my choice when doing a real race/unarmed), but it is pretty much see-through.

For running low profile, the old school Pistol Wear seems to be the most comfortable of the belt options I have found. Worn under tee shirt and washed as needed. But it still bounces like most waist options.

For the fanny pack options, the ESS Marathon Pack is great. It still bounces and is annoying like most other belt type options, but the back is grippy and holds better against your clothing. Also the bottles help disguise the pack. My issue is it is not as bomb proof as traditional nylon tactical gear, and also the nylon clip of the belt does not have a “safety” button like some brands do to defend against someone unclipping it.

However with trail running becoming more popular, I wonder if any of you have any solutions from hydration packs or belts from the big brands - Salomon, Naked, Ultimate Direction, etc - would love to hear which items conceal well, allow for draw draw, and do not bounce that bad.

PM07

Staff member
Sorry for the late post, but I was searching for any new, low profile, solutions since there are so many new running and trail running belts and vests out here these days. I am curious to hear if anyone has better solutions, but here is what I have found best these days:

Most comfortable option - for trail running and hiking, the left chest pocket of the REI Flash 15 holds a micro 9mm great (I keep it in a holster or pocket holster for extra safety). I don’t expect to quick draw but it is the most comfortable and convenient I can find. I would prefer a better hydration vest, such as a Salomon Adv Skin 12 (my choice when doing a real race/unarmed), but it is pretty much see-through.

For running low profile, the old school Pistol Wear seems to be the most comfortable of the belt options I have found. Worn under tee shirt and washed as needed. But it still bounces like most waist options.

For the fanny pack options, the ESS Marathon Pack is great. It still bounces and is annoying like most other belt type options, but the back is grippy and holds better against your clothing. Also the bottles help disguise the pack. My issue is it is not as bomb proof as traditional nylon tactical gear, and also the nylon clip of the belt does not have a “safety” button like some brands do to defend against someone unclipping it.

However with trail running becoming more popular, I wonder if any of you have any solutions from hydration packs or belts from the big brands - Salomon, Naked, Ultimate Direction, etc - would love to hear which items conceal well, allow for draw draw, and do not bounce that bad.
I just started back trail jogging and I use the same HPG medium kit bag I use for hiking and backpackng. I add the stabilizer strap as needed. They make a snubby version too.

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
I've been using the snubby for a few years now and it's been great, even if it does stick out a bit. I have it integrated with a hydration setup too, though, which makes it blend in a bit more. Granted, if I had gotten it in a color other than ranger green, it might fit in a bit more with the suburbanites here...
I also have their belt pack for walks. It's usually my vehicle trauma kit that's mounted to a headrest, but can pull double duty, and doesn't stick out nearly so much around town.

shoobe01

Established
I guess if this thread is active again I should update. Same fannypack, but when I dotted many of my guns the Kahr got one and therefore, new holsters.
Turned out despite the glowing recommendations I HAAAAATED the Crossbreed. But, a couple weeks later inspiration and I tried, it fits into this particular fannypack, perfectly. Just removed the velcroed-in holster I had made, and clipped this in. Been that way for years. The extra mag carrier is less stable, but acceptable, and likewise one I do not like on my body, but repurposed well here.
2023-10-14 10.47.00.jpg

As you see I have also added a big stabby, cutty thing, and a upgraded my urgent wound care. A TQ pushes it over the edge so if I die from an extremity wound you can all say I told ya, but the risk of explosive amputation is low here so I am likely good.

Note that this is only appx where the knife is, and not where the Izzy goes. Moved around so you can see stuff.

I do admittedly use it running less but 1st grader etc, lots of excuses to be active at parks, playgrounds, splash pads, biking, bushwhacking, etc. I wear it several times a week as EDC kit at least in warm weather about 9 months out of the year.