Carry in water/maintenance

I am a fly fishing guide looking for some advice on ways to carry that won't get my gun to rust to hell. I carry a CZ 75 PCR. At the moment I end every trip covered in a light mist and usually take a dunk in the water twice a week or so. In waders this is not a problem, however with summer upon us, I'd like to be able to still carry without resorting to off body carry. If cleaned regularly, is there any ammo that I can get that I could trust to not go bad based on how often I get wet. Would this be worth carrying? I'm worried about pins and springs too. I know the NATO torture test happened and while that gives me some peace of mind, the ammo issue makes me worry. Please let me know any ideas you might have, I know others who would love this info as well.

Bawkbird

Amateur
As a fellow fly fisherman, I've dunked a few guns on accident. Last Sunday I completely submerged myself with a Sig P365 on me. It happens. I wouldn't worry about it. Any self defense ammo should last a dunking and be fine. Lots of data online of ammo being submerged for longer than a quick dunk and going off when fired.

As far as carry, chest rig is the only was I can think of carrying with less risk of being submerged. I just carry IWB if wet wading or OWB under a jacket if wearing waders. If it gets submerged I break it down, clean it off, lube it up, take mags apart, dry off ammo and springs and reassemble. I've submerged a CZ P01 several times. Most of the controls are exposed with a simple field strip except for the firing pin and spring. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

YetiSam

Amateur
Used to regularly use a Hill People Gear chest pack when fly fishing salmon in Alaska when I lived there. Bonus was that could fit some stuff in other compartments on the chest pack.

Grizzly

Used to regularly use a Hill People Gear chest pack when fly fishing salmon in Alaska when I lived there. Bonus was that could fit some stuff in other compartments on the chest pack.
I've done a few wet hikes, some kayak floats and trout fishing trips using a HPG bag. Light dunkings and splashes haven't gotten into the back pocket for the gun yet. I've had enough sweat on hot days that the gun pocket gets damp that is about it. Maybe if you were really worried you could put a little vasoline on the zipper to stop water getting in but that seems extreme.

If the Ar in your name is for the state we could probably meet up and you can look at the HPG bag if you don't know anyone close by with one.

Wow, I appreciate the great replies, and suggestions. I do have to ask though, when carrying in a HPG kit bag, what protects the trigger guard, I just get nervous. I realize no matter which direction I go, I have to make some sort of compromise, I'd just prefer to know the details before I purchase something that I might not be comfortable carry.

Grizzly

Being in the pocket by itself should protect the trigger. Much like being in a holster covers the trigger.

If you want a little more protect/retention the kit bag has a small loop at the bottom that you can attach a trigger guard only type cover to with paracord. And there is a velco strip you could in theory stick a holster to if you really wanted more coverage.

71a56f74-1fe9-40c2-8ddb-0eb20be66217_1000.jpg

NCBeagle

In my experience, the Hill People Gear chest pack will keep a pistol dry if you recover from the slip / dunking fast enough. It's great option.