Carry Ammo Selection & Use Questions - 124gr HST

My reasons for posting this are two-fold. As a civilian, I would like input from you experienced guys on carry ammo selection, and how often to rotate in new ammo. Also, want some input on the round I currently carry.

My current carry setup is a Glock 19 with stock internals with the exception of an s3f barrel and an Overwatch TAC trigger. I am carrying 124 grain standard pressure Federal HST. I try to rotate ammo out every 6 months. When I first started carrying HST, I ran a box through my gun with no issues before carrying it. Is every 6 months often enough to cycle through ammo?

Last week, I shot through the mag I had been carrying, and got a pretty bad double-feed/inline failure midway through a full magazine. If it was cheap training ammo, I would have shrugged it off and moved along, but with my carry ammo it was concerning. Granted, the gun was a little dirty, but I have never had that kind of malfunction with that gun that wasn't intentionally induced in a class.

I'm on a tight budget so I don't exactly have the funds to run through a bunch of ammo testing... Your input on similar issues would be appreciated.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
Double feeds are generally regarded as a magazine related problem. Maybe run some more ammo through that mag and see if you get the same problem.

MrMurphy

Mark your mags to track these problems. We rotate our duty ammo about yearly or so, and i guarantee patrol guys with exposed duty holsters get more shit in and on their gun and ammo than ccwing... i carried concealed 14 years before putting on a badge.

I generally run 60 to 80 rounds of my preferred JHP through a gun to see how it does before calling it good. I've probably put 250 through my offduty/backup piece over a few years, and my duty gun eats Gold Dots like candy, zero issues...

MojoNixon

Established
I think 6 months may be a bit soon. I run thru either my in gun mag or one of my 2 immediate reload carry mags about once a year. Carry ammo is 147 standard pressure HST in a G19 that has had 1 stovepipe failure (aluminum cased Federal 115 training ammo) in about 10 K rounds. That was in my mag Marked #9 of 27 total. So, one of my older mags. It also happened when I was trying out a stainless heavy RSA, I dumped that RSA for stock immediately after it happened. Right back to boring regularity. #9 is being watched closely but it is unlikely to ever make it in to my carry rotation.
SGAmmo is my go to source for HST. $20/box of 50.

So, to update you guys, I live very close to Glock's facility in Smyrna, GA. I ran over there last week and they swapped all of my magazines for brand new ones at no charge, also replaced most of my slide/frame internals for free. Went back and ran half a box of 124gr HST through the gun with no issues.