Careers In The Firearms Industry

Fortuna

I am interested in starting a career in the firearms industry, but I need guidance. I am 21 years old, live in North East Pennsylvania, and have no hard skills on paper (trade school, college degree, etc.). I have ADHD, which is amazing when I am doing something I am interested in/passionate about, but it has made it very difficult for me to excel in "normal" jobs.

I know from past experience that I can easily spend hours working on the thing(s) that intrigue me, and firearms/firearm accessories are at the top of that list. I am very interested in improving designs and/or working more as a armorer/gunsmith/craftsman vs something like a factory worker (very repetitive, non-mentally stimulating or challenging, work and I don't mix well). I like the idea of working on firearms directly (The AR, AK, 1911, and CZ (Pistol) platforms are the most interesting to me) but I don't really know what my options are.

I was hoping that you guys could help make me aware different jobs in the industry, how much you can earn in those positions, help me determine if I would be a good fit in those jobs, and overall help guide me toward a career that doesn't feel empty and pointless.

As always, any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.

Diz

Well, I like the passion you bring to the subject; this is good. But keep in mind a job in the firearm's industry is still a job, where people tell you to do goofy shit, and you don't always get to do things like you want to. So it's a double-edged sword, so to speak; yes it's great to do something you love, but also very frustrating if they insist on you doing things you don't agree with. So just bear that in mind; when your hobby becomes your job, it can be very rewarding, and/or very frustrating.

I would say look for any hands-on, mechanical job training at your local community college or wherever. This will tell you whether tinkering on things all day is what you really want to do. Or better yet, get a local manufacturing job, making anything, to see if this type of work is a fit for you. I have spent my entire adult life working on shop floors; it's just what I enjoy doing; but you need to see if that's your cup of tea.

Most jobs in the firearms industry are all about assembly, not necessarily gunsmithing as it were. So being good at putting things together is more important than knowing how to custom-smith something. That's why I say get a job on the line, assembling things, and make sure this doesn't drive you nuts. Some guys find they don't like the endless repetition; others find it enjoyable; trying to do the task just a little bit better, more efficiently the next time. It's like doing reps in any martial art; you get into this "zen-like" zone, where you try and move perfectly with no wasted motion. Or not.

But anyways, get into some kind of shop-like environment, be it class or work, and see if it's for you.

Fortuna

After looking at this more closely, I think a job in the firearms industry wouldn't be the best fit for me. I appreciate all of the feedback and information from everyone. Thank you all for your time.

WeaponOutfitters

Amateur
Vendor
Best advice I ever got was to get a job that I enjoy that pays me really well so I can afford all the gun/outdoors related things I want.

Yuppppp, the firearms industry is pretty low paying, stressful, and the rewards aren't necessarily there.

Everyone only sees the fun and cool side (aka, advertising) but the cost to benefit ratio isn't in the firearms business most years.

Due to the nature of the extreme boom/bust cycle, firms get taken out all the time