Can anyone point me to a tactical nylon company that can provide OEM services?

TAC450

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner
YMMV... But Zulu is known in a few circles to knock off other peoples designs as their own.
Not like OSOE does, but just an FYI for you.

iPhone using Tapatalk

Runcible

Runcible Works
Staff member
Vendor
Thanks for starting this topic - I've tried to get similar projects off of the ground before. being blown off by companies who publicly profess interest and then go silent afterwards can be demoralizing, but the friends I've had who pulled it off got some pretty cool stuff put together, that was perhaps to niche for the open market but excellent in its given use-profile.

I think highly of those makers who tell me up front that they aren't up for such project; perhaps a bit less so for those who proclaim otherwise and then drop the dialogue.

Zulu Nylon Gear made a custom armored chest panel for me a few years ago (circa 2009) and just recently made some mods to that along with frankenstein-ing a rear panel that another maker made for me. In the past, I've had very little luck getting any of the small shops to do anything custom for me with Zulu Nylon Gear being a huge exception, I would recommend them based on my personal experiences.

re: Tactical Tailor, I had a kidney pad that needed repair. Called twice and got forwarded to their custom/repair shop- they did not answer and never returned my phone calls despite me leaving voicemails. I would not look to them for any custom work.

Runcible

Runcible Works
Staff member
Vendor
A mixed caveat: I know a guy who got some low vis bags made by TT that are very nice; but he emphasized that who you got as a liason was pretty important and the quality was reflected in the price...

Short version: doable but may take some effort and spending.

patriot_man

I had one round of emails back and forth with Nate of TT. Just waiting to get a reply.

Shot off a few to OC and Orca as well as Josh Jackson of LMS.

Mayflower R&C said they aren't accepting OEM at this time... maybe I should just learn how to sew lol
:D

Runcible

Runcible Works
Staff member
Vendor
Sewing is a very rewarding skill, with a relatively low buy-in for the casual user; easy to get into, but hard to get good\fast\marketworthy. I suspect that most probably could get into it at a level sufficient for their own needs, no problem; but as with any hobby, it has the ability to snowball quickly in equipment\expense\time-commitment.

One-off's and prototyping are where the individual saves a lot of money, as time generally costs more then materials and tooling; but production may bring an external sew-shop back into things.

Cool. Looking forward to not only seeing pictures, but hearing more of your "getting it made" struggle, as I've pondered the exact same thing about a dozen times, and have bounced between finding someone to do it for me or (trying) to learn how to sew myself.

My problem is it would be a *very* niche item (K-9 handlers) and not even all of them would probably need/want it, so cost would probably be high.

patriot_man

There are definitely some speed bumps right now w/ the manufacturer.

I got to call them next week. If it doesn't get sorted out I'm back to square one. '

You should get in contact with EGL or the well known custom gear guys. The only reason I couldn't complete the project with them was the non stocking fabric I requested for the body.

patriot_man

The manufacturers pulled through! Here's the prototype with the Cordura exterior.

The wax canvas body one is next and I can't wait to see the difference in discretion.

As you can see it can fit a sub 10" barrel SBR with an optic. however I think it's only fit a 20 rounder for transport.

Top compartment has a small mesh storage. I'd personally use it to hold paper targets.

Carry strap is still to be made

image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

patriot_man

This will be shipped to me today. I'll have a chance to play with it and make adjustments for the final version if needed.

I laughed when I saw this - the wax canvas makes it seem like hipster like and while I try to picture a gun inside I don't think I can lol.

\\

W

Whootsinator

I dig it, from what I see. If I had the choice I would use a different color webbing and zipper, like a forest green or navy blue, and add something extra (maybe a leather patch, or an obviously non-tactical label/embroidered logo?) that wouldn't look at home on a "tactical" bag. Think ubiquitous JanSport backpack.

patriot_man

Awesome suggestions! Didn't think of the zipper nor webbing color.

I originally spec'd leather instead of the nylon carry handle but that couldn't be done - probably why they went with the brown.

I am looking for a non tactical embroidered logo as well.

Something sailing related like the nautica logo. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

patriot_man

It is going great. Right now I'm waiting for shipment to me from the manufacturer I found.

Here are some photos that they provided and I'm happy about how they turned out. They are better than the originals for sure as I had a lot of control over what materials were to be used, thus used a higher quality. In addition the manufacturer I used tweaked the designs and helped improve the bag.

When they come in I'm going to get a photo shoot done for the bags. Also working on a small project of wallets that are a hybrid of multicam black and hypalon. If there is any interest I can do a group buy for the folks on P&S.

patriot_man

The original manufacturer I used, after making a few bags, said they are stopping the nylon shop and refunded my money. Thus I was scrambling to find someone else.

I also had to have my own bag reverse engineered as I could not get in contact with anyone to get the cuts and material lists. It has been a pain but I think it was a good thing it happened as I found someone far more skilled, reliable, and talented.