C clamp thumb on light pressure pad and pressure pad location.

coates_j

I've noticed a lot of reputable shooters using the C clamp and their thumb rest on the 12 o clock pressure pad for their white light. I tend to shoot this way too but I have always had the thought in my mind that this could lead to a negligent discharge of your white light in a situation that could get you yelled at by your buddies or get you and your buddies killed. So my question is, does anyone have any answers related to this? Does this shooting grip with the thumb on top of the pressure pad cause ND of white light under stress? Is it better to mount the pressure pad above or below where your thumb rest? Im LE and do not run an IR device only a white light with a pressure pad.

I've ran the pressure switch at the 12 o'clock position for a long time now and I've found it works best for me. I try to place it just barely forward of where my support hand rests for the particular gun I'm running. When I'm not actively engaging the light I'll rest my thumb at the edge of the pad for reference so I always kind of know I'm on it and to keep my hand hovering at it to protect it from a white light ND. I've noticed that most of the ND's from white lights were when guys did not have good positive control of the weapon (let it dangle on the sling or lay in their lap) and when they went to grab it they grabbed the pressure pad or hit the push button. I've also noticed that most of the ND's I've seen have been from pistol mounted lights which were mounted on rifles and especially when someone has to carry tools or some type of extra equipment. To me the pressure pad is the way to go and the best way to prevent an ND is to be aware that it's a possibility and to actively take measures to prevent it.

user12358

Not all pressure pads are created equal and some are much easier to ND a light with than others, currently my favorite is a Unity Tactical TAPS. Although it is made for a dual lead setup which won't completely apply to you, the reasoning still will. The buttons are recessed which greatly help with inadvertent button presses versus the relatively unprotected or even proud buttons found on some other tape switches.

The second thing that I like about it is the long slope on the front of the switch which is where I place my thumb when not activating light or laser and means that the light pressure pad is slightly behind where my thumb normally falls. I have found this to be very repeatable as I also have the laser directly in front of the switch to help with finding that front slope when gripping the gun after having been hands off. Running the switch this way allows me to apply the pressure I want to with my thumb during firing without worrying about NDing a light because of the haptic feedback that I am in the right place with my thumb.