Buying skill...?

MOT

I just listened to the mod cast 169 modding handguns again. Cool stuff. I’m a normal non mil/le dude and just have a concealed carry permit. I carry everyday. Stock glocks with metal sights.
I recently tried a ghost 3.5 connector thinking 10 bucks is easily justified if it can help me shoot a bit better. It didn’t. Fact is I started having malfunctions. Failure to eject and stove pipes. I saw no change in my groups. The action of the slide felt stiffer and the trigger reset was louder. It seemed that the connector made things worse. I removed the part immediately. Not thrilled with the experience. Did I just get a lemon or do something wrong?

Also I’ve been under the impression that it’s better to spend the hard earned money on ammo and training instead of cool new gadgets. I get why enhancing a gun is a good idea however, is there also the potential for getting spoiled with aftermarket triggers and the like? I’ve been figuring that if I can shoot stock guns ok then a ninjafied gun will be easier and not the other way around. Properly applied fundamentals seem to be the answer to most things. At what point am I just being lazy and trying to buy skill versus giving myself a legitimate advantage?
Thanks for any input and really appreciate P&S for being around.

I, too, am just a CHP holder. I have changed all my connectors to the 3.5, though they are factory models. I have never seen nor heard of a connector causing FTEs (or any malfunction for that matter) and can't say how one would occur. My experience is that they didn't tighten up my shot groups (which explains nothing as nobody has seen my targets here), but they did make the experience with the trigger better overall. I love the 3.5lb connectors and recommend them highly.

Before my "old'n days RSO" side comes out, I would suggest finding a Glock factory connector in the 3.5lb range and see if the same thing occurs.

What I will ask you is if you use Enos-Leatham grip (combat / "thumbs-overlapped-and-forward" grip)? More specifically, when you grip the handgun, is there space between the end of the beavertail and the webbing of your hand.

Reactions: MOT

MOT

Kinda like this. If the picture comes up...

Attachments

• 13B4D190-CB48-427B-B2E6-50CABF472341.jpeg
    13B4D190-CB48-427B-B2E6-50CABF472341.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27

tylerw02

I’ve found I can shoot mod’ed Glocks faster than stock Glocks and maintain the same level of accuracy.

With DA/SA guns I’m much more accurate with a lighter, smoother DA pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nowski

Just a CHL holder and a on again off again competitor. The connector shouldn't cause any of those issues you are having, as for the sound change maybe, I have a Ghost connector in my carry 19 and didn't notice the change. Who makes the connector that you bought?

Joe _K

Established
According to Ghosts website, they make 5 different 3.5# connectors. Maybe you got a less than optimal connector for your gun, such as An old production one made to fit a different Generation gun, an out of spec one, a knockoff, etc.

What Gen Glock do you have?

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.
‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭2:5‬

David Mayeur

If you're shooting consistent 90+ on a B8 at 25 and can run the same gun making par times on common drills, I don't see why it would be taboo to modify your gun. Modifications that enhance performance are positive. Remember that word, enhance. Enhancements do not give you the ability to perform fundamental techniques, but they may make it easier for you to perform those fundamental techniques.

Stippling helps me manage recoil, but it doesn't alter my grip technique.
Red dots help me see the target better, but it doesn't make my pistol more accurate mechanically.
Barrels do not help me align my sights on the target, but DO increase the mechanical accuracy of my pistol.

I personally don't mess with triggers. It's just my preference.

MOT

Gen 4 glock 19. The reason I’ve been avoiding enhancements is primarily cost. Also a bit of if it ain’t broke don’t fix it sort of thing.

Shootin federal brass case target loads.

Have you changed up the brands any? In my experience, Remington UMC shoots a little hotter (compared to Winchester white box and Blaser) and it might help you as an alternative while you wait on a factory connector (if you purchase one).

JLL2013

I think you need to listen to the podcast again, there are some key points you missed.

• You’re 3.5 connecter didn’t work for you/your gun. Ok. Not a big deal. Just get rid of it. That’s not an indicator that better gear doesn’t help, just an indicator that the piece you put in your gun is trash.
  • If you can shoot a 90+ on a B8 at 25yds, heck even in the 80’s probably, you will see benefits from improved equipment. If you cannot, you are shooting within the mechanical accuracy of the weapons system, so you won’t see any benefits from improved equipment. If you’re in the latter category: yes, you should invest in ammo and training over gear...if you need to choose between the two. But why not both? The obvious answer is financial. It’s easier to learn on an easy to shoot gun than a difficult to shoot gun.
  • This is covered in the podcast.
  • We are talking about a guy who’s shooting a 90% going to 95% due to gear or a 95% to a 100%, not a 50% to a 90%. These are incremental improvements in performance that a better user/weapon interface (trigger, optic), external ballistics (ammo), and internal ballistics (barrel) can help you achieve.
  • No, better gear doesn’t necessarily make you incapable of performing with stock gear. This is covered in the modcast. What it does is make you more aware of the faults in poor gear and allow you recognize your performance limits. Yes, properly applied fundamentals are the answer. But it’s easier to put the sights on target and not disturb the sight picture as I break the shot with an RMR and a good trigger than stock irons and a stock trigger.
  • If you can’t hit a B8 at 25yds but go buy a Roland Special because you think it will help you are being lazy and trying to buy skill. If you are a pretty decent shooter and know that you can do better with some mechanical enhancement and want to remove all doubt that it’s you, not the weapon, you’re fine.