Butt stocks

Austin Black

Amateur
Now that shot show is over is there any reason not to buy a b5 sopmod for my newest AR? I see magpul has a new SL that looks nice. I would like the qd point low enough so the swivel can run parallel to the pad. That and I'd like to keep it as light as possible without sacrificing what I want in a buttstock.

RPA

To me, balance is better than weight. Heavy and unbalanced is far worse than heavy and balanced. Yes, a seven lb rifle will feel lighter than an eight lb rifle but an unbalanced, front-heavy seven pound rifle will feel heavier than an eight pound balanced rifle. If you put a heavier stock (than your current one) on your rifle, it will likely either balanced it or make it a little back heavy which is better than being front heavy. Unless you're intentionally trying to make the rifle as light as possible, a slightly heavier stock is not going to be detrimental. Obviously, you don't want to run around feeling like you're carrying a Flak 88 on your shoulder all day.

On a personal experience, I found this to be true and even found myself fumbling with my support hand when wielding rifles with light-weight oriented stocks, but when users of those rifles picked mine up (Also had a B5) they were impressed on how light it was considering that it looked 'bulky.' That being said, take a look at the Magpul STR. It may have what you are looking for in the stock, sacrificing a bit of weight while maintaining that natural cheek-weld, balance, and look of the B5 without breaking the bank. I found that peering through a 1x4 shorty was a lot easier with the STR than it actually was with the B5.

What is your current build, just out of curiosity?

Final thoughts: YOu do you, man. Obviously, the final decision is yours and yours alone to make.

Austin Black

Amateur
I just bought a DDM4, I was going to keep that ugly DD stock on it but the rubber keeps pulling my facial hair so I need something else. The front of the rifle is light enough with only a Bravo Company stubby and an x300 riding 12

Andrew Y.

I just bought a DDM4, I was going to keep that ugly DD stock on it but the rubber keeps pulling my facial hair so I need something else. The front of the rifle is light enough with only a Bravo Company stubby and an x300 riding 12
Does yours jump to the shortest setting when shooting prone, mine does and thats my only complaint. (and probably why Im going to replace it
(With an SL-K))

KMo1205

To me, the new Magpul SL-K stock looks more like the BCM Gunfighter stock than the B5. I have a Magpul STR stock and BCM Gunfighter stock. I prefer the STR for my scoped ARs and the BCM for my AR with a RDS.

BCM-GFS-MOD-0-BLK-2.jpg

Austin Black

Amateur
Does yours jump to the shortest setting when shooting prone, mine does and thats my only complaint. (and probably why Im going to replace it
(With an SL-K))
Honestly I haven't shot it prone, when I bought it I shot about 50 rounds before dark and went home. I'll try that this Saturday and see if I can replicate that.

A910

I run a Vltor I-Mod and love it. Multiple sling options. Can beat someone to death with it. Not heavy at all. Looks as great as it functions.

The only downfall is the price but I felt it was well worth it.

regdudedrtyjob

I have the B5 SOPMOD and the BCM buttstock. I like both a lot, but the B5 is the one I went with, because it allows me to put the QD swivel for my sling on the right hand (outboard) side of the stock. I still like the BCM stock though, I guess Ill have to get another carbine to give it a home.

PlasticMag

Amateur
For scoped use I stick with the B5, but for red dots I run the BCM. I haven't tried a Magpul stock since the CTR/MOE variant, which was nice but I saved weight and profile with the BCM stock.

J.Boyette

I have used all that is listed and my go to is the CTR.

One advantage to the B5 Enhanced is the battery tube. I filled one tube with epoxy and lead shot to balance the rifle out. It is the best feeling carbine in my hands.

Just a idea to pass on.

Austin Black

Amateur
I really wasn't sure if I needed battery tubes or not, does anyone carry batteries on the gun?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

J.Boyette

I really wasn't sure if I needed battery tubes or not, does anyone carry batteries on the gun?

If you run a optic / IR / WL that uses AA then its nice. If not, its a waste of time. Unless you need to counter weight like I posted above.

John

Austin Black

Amateur
I'm leaning towards the sl-k because Ill carry this rifle in a bag in my vehicle and I'm trying to keep it as small and light as possible. I have a years wait till I can get a sbr so I'm working with what I have

W

Whootsinator

I prefer the B5 Enhanced at the moment. The storage tubes fit AA, AAA, and CR123 batteries, lube in a pen type container, small repair parts in a sealed bag, etc. That's enough to keep a PEQ-15, M68 CCO, and a Surefire WML ready to rock if batteries run out/aren't issued with a weapon. Regardless, I keep a waterproof hard case as a battery box with enough batteries to keep a squad powered. The Army loves to hand out NODs without batteries, a night fire without PEQ-15 batteries, IWQ without M68 batteries, ANY range without lube, etc. You can make good use of the storage tubes.

Shinck82

d43bba54b07c4d1becaa5b8a0a044cd9.jpg
153f3b7ad4bcb5fcd5a920a2b73d76cf.jpg

This is my patrol rifle, the suppressor makes it pretty front heavy, so I went with the STR, I keep 4 CR123's in it. I doubt I'll need them for my light, but they add weight to the rear to help balance the rifle much better in the event I have to fire one handed. It's still not perfect and an omega or some other lighter suppressor it would be much better, but for right now, I'll have to make this work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W

Whootsinator

To expound on the lube in the stock -

I had to order a new pen oiler... a 2 pack from Amazon for about $10 shipped. They were slightly too long to fit in the B5 SOPMOD storage tubes. No worries... I removed ~1/3 of an inch from the needle with the file of my Leatherman, trimmed the cap with a hobby knife, removed the pocket clip, and wrapped tape around the cap until it could slide out easily but not rattle. You can't forget your lube if it's attached to your rifle.

Pen%20Oiler%20in%20B5%20SOPMOD_s.jpg~original