Burris XRTII 1x5

Harv

So I will try to explain my rationale as to why this one..
I tried out the Low power variable concept over the last year or so by running a Mueller speed shot. I quickly warmed up to the concept. fast red dot x up close, but yet having some magnification to reach out to what I consider a good range for a mm (out to 600-800 yds).

So I wanted a daylight visible reticle. that was a must for me... as to the reticle.. I went back and forth on a simple illuminated dot. a dot with a BDC or a Horse shoe /EOtech style.
I know lots of folks swear by the circle dot style reticle and I wanted to give it a try. I also wanted a BDC. But I'm kind of fussy.. not to busy, The Gen 3 5.56mm reticle on this scope was the one that meet all my criteria.

I'm not a mil, ranging sort of guy (which is why I like the BDC) I'm more of a set it and forget it practical shooter.

Another feature that this scope did had was the Capped turrets. This is the newer M.A.D model (Modular Adjustment dial). So you can choose which style

I know some like the exposed turrets, and if you do, I can tell you that these are very positive and tactile. and will not turn easily. Again, I'm a set it and forget it shooter.

The other feature I was looking for is the weight to Magnification. I see a trend in more magnification. 1-4x was the standard, now 6x is popular and now 8x is climbing up the ladder.

the problem that I see, is the weight increase that goes with that magnification. Just how much do you need on a 5.56mm platform? and how much weight are you willing to deal with.

The fact that this was a 5X seamed like a nice compromise.
total weight with the ADM scout mount I put it in:

Was only about 4 ounces more then the Speed shot I had.

The glass.. This scope is Made in the Philippines at a Burris ran factory. I'm not a glass snob... or a flat screen TV one either... I look at or thru something and I like it or not... When I look thru this.. I like it. The Eye relief is large... the 1x , seems 1x to me... I don't know what chromatic aberration is....
icon_smile_wink.gif
so if it has it, it's news too me.

The magnification ring is smooth and with the MK magnifier lever I got for $20 (Carbon fiber made on a 3D printer) works great. I'm not spending $70 on a Aluminum one. I ran a plastic MGM one on my Speed shot for a year and it was just fine.. I'm not that hard on my guns. All the power settings are marked clearly on the tube.

Lets talk about the reticle control and illumination. Again, I wanted daylight visible and off settings between the power settings. This one has it. 11 settings. The first 3 are NVG, the rest are visible.
Runs on a CR2032 lithium 3v coin battery. They work in the cold (Like it is in WI
icon_smile_wink.gif
) Inexpensive, readily available and I can stash spares in the various storage areas on my rifle (Pistol grip and VFG);
I never liked a screw cap with a coin slot that I had to use to replace the battery. I never had a coin, and wound up buggering up the slot.

The XTR2 you just rotate the dial to off and keep turning and the battery access cap unscrews. Then you just repeat. Nice.
A feature of the scope I was not aware of until I RTFM was the battery saver. which turns out to be an excellent feature... their are two "OFF" positions and the in between off settings. The two OFF settings are truly off. the in between settings are as well.. for up to 3 hrs. if after 3 hrs you have not turned the dial. the unit turns off.

So if you go back to a number on setting, it will not turn on, until you spin the dial back to either of the OFF settings and them back to an on setting to reset and turn the illumination on.
Battery life on the #7-8 setting is around 1000 hrs. Way better then the estimated 100-200 hrs on similar scopes in this range.

These scopes are going for around $700 and the older none M.A.D. models are going for around $400-500 depending.

I have to get to the range and get this zero'd and get some time on it, but so far I have extremely happy with it and all the features.. The scope caps that came with it are nice and function well... Will something better come along that will make me regret this purchase... maybe, but for my needs, this scope is going to fill them nicely.

I've had a short bit of time behind this scope, and for the money I think it's an excellent optic. There is distinct distortion around the edges at all magnifications, but it's not a deal-killer. The illumination is RDS-bright, which is refreshing to see. Overall a very good optic. A good competitor for the Leupold VX-6HD 1-6x and Vortex Viper PST Gen2 1-6x.

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
At the price point, how does the Steiner P4Xi stack up? It has the least magnification of the group (Burris, Leupold, and Vortex). I think the price is pretty similar to the Burris, while the Leupold and Vortex are quite a bit more (although, good guy prices even it out a bit)

Harv

I seriously looked at the Steiner at the time I was looking for the a LPVO... I think its a great optic and would serve anyone well who wanted to get in the LPVO. I still like the Burris and it's still on the original battery. The reticle is still to my liking and has shown me why so many liked the EOtech circle dot reticle. it is very fast in CQB.
I was able to get some long range in shooting at steel out to 570 yrds using both the BDC and dialing in my come up.

I was using Wolf 55 gr polymer, so I had already handicapped myself. The BDC reticle is set up for .62 gr bullet. But I was able to hit the steel well over half my shots. The turrets are Millradian, so I did a quick check on a free ballistics app I had on my phone and dialed in 3.9 mils and let er rip. Missed on the first rd , added another click or two and got a hit.

Overall I'm still very happy with my choice.