Building plans/models in policing

jezza

Listening to the latest podcast on mass shooter scenarios, gave me a thought. I've done a bit of work over the years with 'GIS' products that make it relatively easy for people without specialized computer skills to design models of new or existing buildings/landscape. There's some free tools that make this quite easy.

I imagine this sort of thing probably wouldn't be that useful in planning warrant searches, etc- where you might have a single building with one or two or at worst three doors, and the basic floor plans that you can take from the country or city plans plus land survey photos/Google maps will give you all the information for a good 2d plan.

But thinking about this in the context of SROs and other Police tasked with protecting more complex building complexes, where there's more leeway for creating something that conveys the full complexity in advance- have there been efforts to integrate this sort of technology into at least the information that is made available to dispatchers and incident commanders?

From the most simplistic standpoint, are we at the point where if a SRO could create a 3d model of the school they're responsible for*, with all the relevant details about entrances and so on properly marked up, proper common names for areas etc, that cop could then make that model available (based on a link tied to the address) to dispatchers talking directly to the first responders, and potentially to incident commanders to plan out how they deploy outside and into buildings? If so, would be happy to assist in making that as easy a process as possible. The products already out there are designed to make it easy for even real estate agents to create 3d models- it wouldn't hurt for them to be used for good for once in a while.

* think: burning a few hours watching videos to learn how to turn the 2d plan from the high school assigned to into a 3d plan, and following through on that over 5-10 individual hours set aside over a couple months