Bringing back a Street Sweeper

A right guys and gals, here's a heap of junk I've been handed. I have a partial parts kit for a Cobray Street Sweeper. Yes. I know. It's awful. But I like a good challenge! It's mostly all there, I can mill and lathe the parts I am missing. But I have some questions. The shotgun is a Cobray in .410, which was the model made ATF compliant where they removed the folding stock and vertical foregrip. So first off...

Why was it demilitarized? I don't see the reason unless someone just didn't understand the laws?? Maybe I'm missing something here, from what I read, they made the caliber and furniture changes to comply.

Also more importantly, if there is something I'm missing, and it was an AOW, can I rebuild this, as meeting the definition of a pistol, FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY, NOT FOR SALE OR TRADE, and not have to register an ATF form 1? I just want to make sure that if anyone were ever to question the serial number, it would not come back as once being an AOW, and some less educated person would file a complaint, and I would have the ATF knocking at my door.

I can always contact the ATF, but as you know that's time consuming as well as only opens the door for more questions than answers from them.

shoobe01

Established
One part I can answer is lots of seizure guns must be "destroyed" per local orders, ordinances, etc. It used to be that was pretty vaguely defined, and at least one gunsmith in each town would be the demiller, for free or a nominal fee then keep all the spares. I bought entire top ends off pistols from this practice in the 90s.

Mostly the practice has disappeared, and things like "buyback" guns get melted down or ground up, but some still do pretty pro forma destruction so just cut them up or toss the frame/receiver only into the shredder (maybe first removing all small parts). Adequate number of demilled parts kits around and available even when not talking imports, MGs or other NFA violating arms.

One part I can answer is lots of seizure guns must be "destroyed" per local orders, ordinances, etc. It used to be that was pretty vaguely defined, and at least one gunsmith in each town would be the demiller, for free or a nominal fee then keep all the spares. I bought entire top ends off pistols from this practice in the 90s.

Mostly the practice has disappeared, and things like "buyback" guns get melted down or ground up, but some still do pretty pro forma destruction so just cut them up or toss the frame/receiver only into the shredder (maybe first removing all small parts). Adequate number of demilled parts kits around and available even when not talking imports, MGs or other NFA violating arms.
So if I'm understanding you correctly, if a firearm is confiscated for what ever reason, local orders may ask that they be "destroyed" meaning even an everyday gun even if it's a simple deer rifle, may need to be demiled?

UPDATE: for reference, I did hear back from the ATF. If you restore what was an AOW or ANY NFA ITEM, and it is brought back without the characteristics of the NFA stipulations, you are legal to do so without a Form 1 as long as it is for personal use and not to sell or transfer.

shoobe01

Established
So if I'm understanding you correctly, if a firearm is confiscated for what ever reason, local orders may ask that they be "destroyed" meaning even an everyday gun even if it's a simple deer rifle, may need to be demiled?
Yup. Not a special Dangerous Assault Weapon thing, just a gun thing. Widespread, not universal, so without provenance, impossible to tell on any specific gun.