Bourbon

Clay1

If you like Evan Williams black and Single Barrel, check out the Bottled In Bond. IMO, it's the best in their regular line up. Wild Turkey Rare Breed gets overlooked a lot because it's commonly available but it's a very very good barrel proof that holds it's own against harder to find bottles.

I haven't followed up much to this thread, but I still have been "training" :p

We bought the Glencairn Crystal Whiskey Glass, Set of 6, for tasting. New Year's eve, with friends we had a mini tasting and life is good.

What we have added to the collection since the beginning of this thread. I found the last two bottles of Eagle Rare in my area, Evan Williams Bottled in Bond and Maker's Mark 46.

I wish that I was better at tasting the differences between all the types out there. Sure I can tell some basic differences, but they all make me smile.

Since my family has discovered my new found hobby, for Christmas I received : a Bottle of Glenfiddich 12 year Scotch, Green Spot Irish whiskey, and a bottle of Herradura Ultra Anejo. None of them Bourbon, but they all add to the cabinet. None of them are open yet.

Thanks for all of the new ideas everyone. Have lots to add to the wish list.

marcusa

Some of my go-to bourbons:

-Jefferson's, Jefferson's Reserve, Jefferson's Ocean
-Blanton's of course
-Blood Oath (man that was a good one)
-Basil Hayden's (also a fan of their dark rye)
-Bulleit is a standard
-Four Roses (preferably single barrel)

In case anyone is into tequilas, Herradura has long been my favorite - silver or anejo. If you want something a little fancier, see if you can find a bottle of Espolon Extra Anejo 6 year.

Clay1

Been trying to find the basic Blanton's but so far have struck out. I also can't find and Weller locally. A guy has to have something to look forward to.

marcusa

Been trying to find the basic Blanton's but so far have struck out. I also can't find and Weller locally. A guy has to have something to look forward to.
You should have seen my face when I saw an entire SHELF of Blanton's when I was working in Canada. Jaw dropping. Too bad it was slapped with all the tariffs.

My usual rotation consists of;
Weller Special Reserve
Weller Antique
Buffalo Trace
Eagle Rare
Bulleit 10 year

Been on the hunt for Weller 12 and Weller Full Proof...

Clay1

I still can't seem to run across Weller anywhere locally. It's on the short list to try. I've tried a couple new offerings lately and Old Forester 100 proof stood out to me as enjoyable.

Clay1

GrossDude, sounds like you are in a good spot as a bourbon drinker. I'm jealous.

Funny revisiting this thread today. I just had a friend, within the last 15 minutes, drop off a bottle of E.H Taylor, Jr Single barrel. One of those 40 year friends that didn't have a Covid mask. I gave him a few N95 masks and my wife made a couple of cutsie masks for his family. When he asked how much he owed me, I said that they were free for old bastards and family of 40 years. I had a goodie bag waiting for him on the porch and when I opened the door to wave good bye as he drove away there was a pretty bottle from Buffalo Trace distillery sitting on the porch.

He said that I should tell him what it tastes like. My response was that we will pop it together, when this shit is over, around a nice campfire.

grossdude

If you like Evan Williams black and Single Barrel, check out the Bottled In Bond. IMO, it's the best in their regular line up. Wild Turkey Rare Breed gets overlooked a lot because it's commonly available but it's a very very good barrel proof that holds it's own against harder to find bottles.
Buffalo is good stuff. Been my goto for a while and very reasonable on price. I'm fortunate in KY on the bourbon front lol. Pic attached is a bourbon trail "passport". Has probably 20 distilleries in it. When you take the tour, you get a stamp. Went to heaven hill the other day. It was cool as hell. They actually make some excellent stuff.

Attachments

• 20200229_165042.jpg
    20200229_165042.jpg
    999.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200229_165054.jpg
    20200229_165054.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 9

Kineticap1

Another vote for Michters Bourbon.... Basil Haydens is different but nice as well.

My go to is Makers Mark which, in the summertime, I "gasp" mix with raspberry lemonade when I am hanging by the pool.

For just sipping, I alternate between Knob Creek, Makers 46, Michters, Pendelton, most recently Buffalo Trace

CD228

Amateur
For inexpensive, try Jim Beam Black. The Four Roses single barrel is better IMHO, but the JB Black is similar to Knob Creek.

bigbadgirl

That Wild Turkey 101...watch out with that one! My favorite is usually rye whiskey, but bourbons are a close second.

TheClimbDG

Eagle Rare
Buffalo Trace
Oppidan Small batch
Legent
Knob Creek Single Cask

Agreed that the Wild Turkey 101 is a sleeper