Bourbon

Clay1

Note: if this type of discussion is inappropriate here, just delete and that will be fine with me.

I did a quick search and found nothing on a bourbon thread. I'm a relatively new bourbon drinker. Did the beer microbrew tour, even a home brewer of beer for a while, enjoy wine, but the new shiny penny among the bunch is bourbon.

Here's a list of what I have tried so far and looking for more reasonably priced bourbons to try. Personally not into the really expensive stuff, just some good juice. $25 to $50 dollar bottle recommendations appreciated.

Alphabetical listing of what I have tried over the last months.

Buffalo Trace
Elijah Craig
Evan Williams Black Label (favorite cheap bourbon)
Four Roses Single barrel
Gentleman Jack
Knob Creek Small batch 100 Proof
Knob Creek single barrel 120
Larceny
Wild Turkey 101

tylerw02

Note: if this type of discussion is inappropriate here, just delete and that will be fine with me.

I did a quick search and found nothing on a bourbon thread. I'm a relatively new bourbon drinker. Did the beer microbrew tour, even a home brewer of beer for a while, enjoy wine, but the new shiny penny among the bunch is bourbon.

Here's a list of what I have tried so far and looking for more reasonably priced bourbons to try. Personally not into the really expensive stuff, just some good juice. $25 to $50 dollar bottle recommendations appreciated.

Buffalo Trace
Elijah Craig
Four Roses Single barrel
Gentleman Jack
Larceny
Wild Turkey 101

The Evan Williams Single Barrel is surprisingly good.

Woodford Reserve is my favorite relatively inexpensive bourbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clay1

@Clay1 are you looking to stay with bourbons exclusively or are you open to exploring other whiskeys. If so grab a bottle each of Bulleit bourbon and rye. There inexpensive and very good.

The last time I tried Bulleit Rye, it's wasn't my cup of tea, so to say. That was a long time ago and my tastes have probably changed. I should try a Bulleit again.

Since I'm one of those damn Irishman, I first dabbled in Irish Whiskey. I have enjoyed Jameson often and Tullamore Dew. Today, I like the thoughts of Bourbon being an exclusive American product and would like to keep headed down this road for a bit.

These are my notes on what to try next: Eagle Rare, Weller antique 107, Russells single barrel and Wild Turkey Rare Bird.

I happen to have this America first thing going in my head and while I think that I could be easily compelled by Scotch, Bourbon is my main focus today when I decide to indulge in a liquor.

Clay1

Yes, there are the dollars required to play this game.

I don't drink that often, it's more of a collectable type of adventure. What is currently available at my home bar? It's like I own that and that, and what should be the next piece of the puzzle. It's neat to have the experiences of the different tastes that are available. It's also a new learning curve for me and a new subject matter.

For the last couple of years I've been a coffee addict. I own a ECM Synchronika espresso maker and Caeado grinder and enjoy sampling different coffees. Bourbons are cheap compared to my coffee habit.

The truth is that life is good, enjoy the adventure.

Barry B

One of my new favs (not sure it qualifes as Bourbon) is Jameson Stout. It is amazingly good in hot cocoa... makes a fantastic Irish Coffee, and is fine over ice or at room temperature neat.

Clay1

One of my new favs (not sure it qualifes as Bourbon) is Jameson Stout. It is amazingly good in hot cocoa... makes a fantastic Irish Coffee, and is fine over ice or at room temperature neat.
Sounds like fun and whatever trips your trigger is good with me.

Since you weren't sure if Jameson was a Bourbon or not, this is the very short course:

All bourbon is Whisky / Whiskey, but not all Whisky / Whiskey is bourbon.
Whisky / Whiskey (that's another whole conversation and if you're interested:
And finally what is bourbon:

YetiSam

Amateur
Rowan's Creek and 1792 Ridgemont Reserve are some really good small batch bourbons. They are hard to find outside KY at times tho. I always pick up several bottles of each to gift when I visit home.

Check out Eagle Rare if you enjoyed Buffalo Trace at all one of my favorites

Keep an out out for any of the Wellers if you like a sweeter bourbon, they have wheat in the mash bill instead of rye

CAVDVR

My current favorite is Bowman Brothers small batch or John J. Bowman single barrel from the A. Smith Bowman Distillery located in Virginia.

Joker75

Amateur
Jefferson Very Small Batch, has been one of my favorite. I'm still relatively new, and trying as may as possible. A friend recommended Benchmark No. 8, and for $12/ bottle, I can't complain. A coworker told me that his go to is George T. Stag, but at $90/ bottle, it may be a bit before I jump onto that.

Buffalo Trace
Elijah Craig
Four Roses Single barrel
Gentleman Jack
Larceny
Wild Turkey 101
Axe & The Oak (you'll have to order it from Colorado Springs), Leadslingers isn't half bad for irresponsible slugging, and MB Roland can keep you handling a rough day. Just be willing to spend a penny or three for shipping.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Stanislao

They're all out of your price range, but do try the barrel proof expressions when possible. My personal favorite is Booker's, a Beam Suntory flagship that is bottled right out of the barrel. They have to hand write the proof on each bottle due to barrels loosing a different amount of angel's share.

Expect to pay north of ten dollars a glass in bars, well over seventy per bottle in stores. Proof will be in the 120's. You must breathe correctly when drinking these or you will suffer. Most will not think poorly of you if you add a little water and ice to your glass.

If you like Evan Williams black and Single Barrel, check out the Bottled In Bond. IMO, it's the best in their regular line up. Wild Turkey Rare Breed gets overlooked a lot because it's commonly available but it's a very very good barrel proof that holds it's own against harder to find bottles.