Boots Boots Boots

TomF

Danner Kinetic 8" on duty. Mix of Danner hiker's and Solomon XA pro's for personal outdoor use depending on what I'm doing.

Grizzly

Merrell Moab Waterproof Mids for day to day wear. I've got a pair of Danner Tachyon GTXs on the way for work.

karmapolice

Amateur
Just started wearing Danner Arcadias at work, I was wearing the Belleville mini mills but they just don't hold up. I decided on the danners because they are made in the USA and can be resoled. I have some new balance minimalist shoes I wear off work in the summer sometimes and lately I've been wearing my Salomon quest gtx's. I was excited about the new forces line from salomon but alas they don't have many of the models in 14 and every pair of salomons I've owned if needed 14s.

Grayman

Established
Lowa Zephyr GTX's are my far and away favorite and general go to boot. Love me some Merril's but haven't had a pair since I got the Lowas...

For work I'm currently using the Oakley LSA's and have been extremely impressed with the comfort and durability for such a cheap boot.

jr1572

Amateur
I just had a pair of Danner Patrol Boots re-crafted by Danner.

I've used many different brands of boots in the past. Most recently, I had two pairs of Nike Special Field Boots. I managed to wear out two pairs of them in one year. The problem with that is I only wear my uniform for extra duty and it's only for 20-30 hours a week.

Having the Danner's re-crafted wasn't cheap, however, I'm tired of buying disposable boots.

JR1572

Bronson

Fury
I'm not a boots guy. If I could try them for, say, 30 miles and return them if they didn't work I would be. They're just too damn expensive to play and hope you don't roll that hard six on for me. I have wasted too much money on boots that didn't perform.

I liked my OTB sneaker boots for light hiking, but replaced the shoelaces with 500 cord. They were a nightmare in mud and jungle.

My Oakley multicam boots are awesome sauce for when doing ninja stuff, but don't stack up to added weight / rocky terrain well. Niche solution, but a very good one.

I loved the USGI OEF RFI mountain boots. Everyone else hated them, but they had better ankle support to me than summer boots. They did retain water, but when you're in 140 degree summer heat that's the foot equivalent of a nice breeze hitting your face. If I needed to dump water I could do that on halts.

Lowa's are my next boot purchase it looks like.

ptrlcop

Established
I'm currently rocking some Solomon conquests for every day wear because they are a bit lighter than the quests. I wore them for a week and a lot of miles in the bighorns last year on a mule deer hunt and loved them. I had the Lowas before that and they were extremely comfortable but I found them hotter than the Solomons.

I was wearing the XA pro mids for uniform patrol but I destroy them in six months and found the soles a bit too soft. I would love the XA uppers on a quest footbed.

JPourciau

For work, I'm still searching for the perfect boot... Closest I've found so far is Rocky Alphas. On my own time, I've worn Lowa, Merrell, and currently Keen. I had high hopes for the Merrell's, but they just didn't hold up over the course of daily wear. I have a pair of Keen Targhee II's that I've been wearing since about October of last year. So far, they show minimal wear and I really like them. I would love to try a pair of Salomon boots, but I have wide feet, and I hear that the Salomons run narrow.

regdudedrtyjob

Danner Arcadia's at work. Honestly not a bad hiker for me, but waaaay too heavy for chasing people over terrain. I tried on some Lowa Renegade's at REI that I loved, so i'll buy some of those for work and another pair of Salomon's now that they have them in all black.

Matt

Staff member
5.11 side zips

Why would anyone ever think side zips are a good option? You really need your boots on and off that fast? I never trust a zipper. If it fucks up you're screwed until you can cut it out and sew in another.

A910

Why would anyone ever think side zips are a good option? You really need your boots on and off that fast? I never trust a zipper. If it fucks up you're screwed until you can cut it out and sew in another.

For a standard 12 hour shift or patrol you're right. I have no problem with lacing boots. Corcoran II's were my go to boots for years. But my primary roll now is medical. 24 Hours primary, 24 hours backup. 1-3 minutes to respond during primary, 15 to get on post and ready to respond within 1 while on backup. Yes, I need to get them on and off that fast and that frequently.

That said, I've never broken a zipper in 7 years of wearing side zip boots. Even if one did break the lacing system still holds the boot on your foot well enough to do whatever needs done until you can get it fixed or switch your boots out.

Matt

Staff member
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like they work for you, so rock on. For me though zippers are a no-go and if anyone else has the same requirements I would suggest plastic barrel stoppers like what you might find on a jacket's shock cord hem adjustment prior to zippers. But I am just traumatized from having ruined so many zippers...

tact

I've been running a couple pairs of the Salomon Forces 4D GTX boots over the last month now. So far so good. We will see how they hold up to this rather rugged terrain.

MPCOA

Was wearing some danner rivot, I think, for everyday cold weather with vapor barrier boots for legit cold. The danners were nice. Now testing some zambalans, not too sure about everyday use, they are stiff as hell real mountaineering boots for crampons, we shall see.