Body type specific AIWB concealment methods

Hstanton1

Amateur
I’m really just getting into pistols and concealment, and in my research I’ve found that the best AIWB holster manufacturers tend to have about 4 methods they use to increase comfort and concealment of the firearm: belt wedge, muzzle wedge, holster length, and a claw/wing.
These same manufacturers, as well as most every SME I’ve heard talk about appendix carry, have said that these methods work differently for different people based on their body type.
My question is, what is your body type and what concealment method works best for you? I wonder how much of this is truly personal preference (it certainly is to some degree) and how much can be quantified by how much of a gut you have, or how wide your hips are, or other factors that have made one of these methods of concealment particularly comfortable or uncomfortable for you.

MPer15

Amateur
I'm 6'2" 260lbs. and definitely have what you could consider a beer guy these days. I carry a g45 with an x300 in a phlster spotlight. I found that the most important thing for me is a good belt and proper ride height. After some trial and error I found the blue alpha gear belt to be best for me. I saw a youtube video on the warrior poet channel that suggested that type of belt for bigger guys and it definitely works. I've also used the rcs eidolon quite a bit and it's not too bad. I use the claw on that and tried the wedge but it really digs into me and is uncomfortable.

Hstanton1

Amateur
I'm 6'2" 260lbs. and definitely have what you could consider a beer guy these days. I carry a g45 with an x300 in a phlster spotlight. I found that the most important thing for me is a good belt and proper ride height. After some trial and error I found the blue alpha gear belt to be best for me. I saw a youtube video on the warrior poet channel that suggested that type of belt for bigger guys and it definitely works. I've also used the rcs eidolon quite a bit and it's not too bad. I use the claw on that and tried the wedge but it really digs into me and is uncomfortable.
This is good insight, I’m 6’0 245, my first gun and prospective carry is also a g45 with x300. Looking at the spotlight and floodlight, as well as the darkstar gear Rigel. Do you find any discomfort with the wedge built into the back of the spotlight when sitting? The Rigel is my top choice right now, and is a bit longer than the spotlight and has no wedge. My belt right now is the emissary by Ciguera gear. It’s my first “gun belt” so I really don’t know how it compares to the rest of the market.

MPer15

Amateur
This is good insight, I’m 6’0 245, my first gun and prospective carry is also a g45 with x300. Looking at the spotlight and floodlight, as well as the darkstar gear Rigel. Do you find any discomfort with the wedge built into the back of the spotlight when sitting? The Rigel is my top choice right now, and is a bit longer than the spotlight and has no wedge. My belt right now is the emissary by Ciguera gear. It’s my first “gun belt” so I really don’t know how it compares to the rest of the market.
The wedge on the spotlight doesn't bother me at all. I dont have any experience with the emissary belt but I've found the infinite adjustment type belts work a lot better for me. I can get the right tension to keep the holster where I want it.

Hstanton1

Amateur
The wedge on the spotlight doesn't bother me at all. I dont have any experience with the emissary belt but I've found the infinite adjustment type belts work a lot better for me. I can get the right tension to keep the holster where I want it.
Any pain when sitting for a long time? I commute to work and have a desk job for the moment.
I’ll definitely be looking for a good infinitely adjustable belt.

Helios

Any pain when sitting for a long time? I commute to work and have a desk job for the moment.
I've carried the Spotlight for 48 hours straight during a 1900 mile trip from Mississippi to Las Vegas and only experienced mild discomfort in the last 4-8 hours

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

MPer15

Amateur
As long as I have it at the proper height theres no pain at all. Longest road trip I've had was 4 hours and it was no issue. It took me some trial and error to find that sweet spot but once you get there's no issue.

Clay1

I've been carrying a G19.5, RM06, compensator and a X300U in a Tenicor Malus Sol. I think this is my 5th or 6 AIWB holster. My results with them have always been, I try for a while then go back to strong side IWB carry. The other holsters that I tried and couldn't swing were without a full size light. I've been rocking the rig for a little over two months. I finally found something that worked for me.

Note: 5'7", 180. When I drive for a long time I reposition the gun a little higher and life is better.

MOT

I’m 5’7” 145lbs and wear schmediums at times. Still hiding a g19 and reload up front.
I’m using a highly modified vedder iwb holster, no light, no wedge, just a claw, velcro on the backside. I have a spotlight but just can’t swing it. Wish I could, too much bulk for me. In fact I’ve been playing with Glock 43 & 42 in a raven vanguard with dcc clips & claw. Really like that setup for minimal weight/NPE stuff.

Attachments

• 279FFE53-9A0D-43CA-BA62-606EF8A31ECB.jpeg
    279FFE53-9A0D-43CA-BA62-606EF8A31ECB.jpeg
    508.7 KB · Views: 23
If you want to experiment with AIWB get an RCS Eidolon with all extras. I don't know of any other holster that will allow you as many options and adjustments... You can try out wings, wedges, and clip positions until you're dizzy and even if you decide it's not your best solution you will have a very firm understanding of what you want in your next holster.

Hstanton1

Amateur
I've been carrying a G19.5, RM06, compensator and a X300U in a Tenicor Malus Sol. I think this is my 5th or 6 AIWB holster. My results with them have always been, I try for a while then go back to strong side IWB carry. The other holsters that I tried and couldn't swing were without a full size light. I've been rocking the rig for a little over two months. I finally found something that worked for me.

Note: 5'7", 180. When I drive for a long time I reposition the gun a little higher and life is better.
I really like the look of the malus sol, it seems like one of the slimmest options. How do you feel about the wedge? Also, what belt do you use with it?

jdgiii

I'm 6'4", 275, size 40 waist with a little paunch. I'm a fan of JM Custom Kydex https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/. They're design is devoid of any sharp angles or edges they're reasonably priced. I mostly carry my 19/45 in one of their aiwb holsters. I prefer soft loops and their foam muzzle pad. I occasionally carry my G17 in the same style jmck rig without the foam muzzle pad. I guess that weight and the longer fulcrum of the G17 serves to hold the grip end of the pistol closer to my body. I have a few 1.25" leather gun belts I wear and one scuba webbing belt that depending on my dress that day. I front pocket carry my spare mag using a Neomag

I've found the sweet spot for aiwb with my physique is right in the crease between my thigh and crotch. The soft loops allow me to shift the rig around slightly if I'm sitting. I'm able to carry comfortably pretty much all day.

Clay1

I really like the look of the malus sol, it seems like one of the slimmest options. How do you feel about the wedge? Also, what belt do you use with it?
The Malus Sol conceals great. Even in the Tenicor video, they address it rides a little more12:30 than the 1:30 carry position of the Sagax Lux ( I have one of these that I also carry a G19.5 with RM06, no comp and a TLR-7A compact light. Bluntly wasn't sure the MS was going to work for me so I set up another G19.5 to run with the Sagax Lux and compact light. The Malus Sol has worked so well that I have only wore the SL Once and went right back to the comp and the big light for my daily carry.

For a belt, I'm running a Wilderness Instructor belt. I have thought about trying one of these for an even lower profile belt: https://www.mastermindtactics.com/shop

Hstanton1

Amateur
The Malus Sol conceals great. Even in the Tenicor video, they address it rides a little more12:30 than the 1:30 carry position of the Sagax Lux ( I have one of these that I also carry a G19.5 with RM06, no comp and a TLR-7A compact light. Bluntly wasn't sure the MS was going to work for me so I set up another G19.5 to run with the Sagax Lux and compact light. The Malus Sol has worked so well that I have only wore the SL Once and went right back to the comp and the big light for my daily carry.

For a belt, I'm running a Wilderness Instructor belt. I have thought about trying one of these for an even lower profile belt: https://www.mastermindtactics.com/shop
The wilderness belt will probably be what I switch to. I’m not a huge fan of Velcro on belts, but it still seems like one of the better options while I’m still finding my preferences.
I think I’m leaning most towards the phlster floodlight or the DSG Rigel, those are both pretty highly adjustable, and since I’m not sure if I like the wedge yet, I like the idea of a flat backed holster that will accept a wedge. Tenicor seems to have the best molded in wedge on the market though.

Hstanton1

Amateur
I'm 6'4", 275, size 40 waist with a little paunch. I'm a fan of JM Custom Kydex https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/. They're design is devoid of any sharp angles or edges they're reasonably priced. I mostly carry my 19/45 in one of their aiwb holsters. I prefer soft loops and their foam muzzle pad. I occasionally carry my G17 in the same style jmck rig without the foam muzzle pad. I guess that weight and the longer fulcrum of the G17 serves to hold the grip end of the pistol closer to my body. I have a few 1.25" leather gun belts I wear and one scuba webbing belt that depending on my dress that day. I front pocket carry my spare mag using a Neomag

I've found the sweet spot for aiwb with my physique is right in the crease between my thigh and crotch. The soft loops allow me to shift the rig around slightly if I'm sitting. I'm able to carry comfortably pretty much all day.
Good info on the soft loops. Do you find a comfort difference between the shorter holster with pad and the longer holster without?

jdgiii

The difference isn’t that noticeable for me. The jmck just work well for my physique. Like many others here I have a drawer full of holsters that I tried before stumbling upon jmck. Kinda like anything else you wear- You’ve just got to find a brand that works for you.

Diz

After 10 years of daily CCW, I think what happens is you just have to wear into it. It seems your bod just needs time to adjust to the fact that you're wearing sharp pointy things in your gut and I think shit actually shifts around to accommodate it. It's never really comfortable, just tolerable. 5"11" 165, 34" waist. AIWB.

Barry B

More anecdotal evidence for whomever needs it.

5’9”, 185 lbs. I run Crazy Mike’s holsters with the claw and a foam wedge - AIWB only. Those 2 things reduced printing. When I quit using a standard flimsy leather belt and got an Ares Gear belt, printing was reduced even further.... A LOT.

Also, I tend to like my pants with a wee bit of room in them so that they aren’t really good without the belt. That increases comfort a lot. I notice it if ove the holidays I gain a pound or three, I can def tell when carrying.

That said, recently did an 1600 (800 down and back, 2 days) mi road trip and carried all day both ways AIWB in and out of the vehicle. No discomfort. That was with a G43X. If I am not packing an extra pound or two, I can carry my G19 AIWB with no discomfort, and if garments are selected carefully, no printing.

@OP good luck,
Barry

apmd21

Im 6'4 230 with a small front load looking at the flood light for the utility but i run a run a tlr7 on both my G19 and G45 and wondering about retention issues as i'm not running a 300 or TLR1 leaning more towards the spotlight with a flex.