Blog article regarding RDS on Pistols

AsianJedi

He likes RDS on pistols.
VIP
I recently wrote an article that was posted on a blog. It is basically my take on the pros and cons of red dot sights on pistols. It is written from a "regular guy" perspective. I would appreciate it if you guys would read it and give me your constructive feedback.

Note: In the article Steve Fisher is mentioned regarding a YouTube video he is featured in and Matthew A Jacques is in a picture with me taken at a recent class of his. I hope this was OK gentlemen.

http://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/blogs...on-your-carry-gun?comment=2344593741#comments

JimH

I think it is a well written article. I thought more of the post was about your journey of self discovery, than about putting and using a red dot sight on a carry gun....Is it open carry or CCW? The article does a good job of communicating the costs and options there are for putting a red dot on a pistol. However, I am curious about the details of the downsides to having a red dot on a pistol. Do you always see the dot in the frame, what are the differences in picking up on the dot vs. the front sight? Are there any lighting conditions/backgrounds that are more of a challenge then others? What are the challenges to actually carrying a pistol with a red dot sight vs. one without it? What are the differences to draw and aim? Does the weight of the red dot make any difference, when you carry it for a long time? How long is the battery life? Is it a pain to change it/them out? Do you need to order a special holster or will original equipment work? Is there one that has worked for you?

For most of us forty-something .civs, regular guys and gals.........is putting a red dot on my carry gun worth the cost vs. spending several hundred dollars in a class with a good instructor to correct any areas of opportunities for improvement????

This is not meant to brow beat the article.... just unedited feedback from one of the unwashed masses, worth what you paid for it....

AsianJedi

He likes RDS on pistols.
VIP
Thank for the feedback JimH! I agree that I could have included all that info in the article but it would have been super long. May a RDS 2 article is needed?

Reactions: MOT

Matt

Staff member
I enjoyed the article, Scott. It was well written and provided good info. JimH brings up valid questions, and I would also be interested in any anecdotal info you have on reliability under other than ideal conditions (extreme cold, extreme heat, fog, rain, mud, pocket lint, etc). I think there is definitely room for an article series if you're up to it.

JimH

Good job! I like this 2nd article much more than the first. It seemed to have more quantitative rather than qualitative information, and has now provided enough information that I want to go ahead and try an RDS on one of my pistols.
So......
Is there an RDS that you recommend over the others, and if so..why? Does it depend on the primary purpose/use of the pistol? What are the current costs and turn around times for the milling shops listed in the article on say a Glock 19 or 21 slide? What about the iron sights? Do they stay or go, or get replaced with taller ones?
Which RDS do you recommend and what are the costs? Why did YOU pick the one you have over other alternatives(IIRC,RM06?) ? Purpose? Price point? Features? What are the alternative colors to the amber color that you mention when using a RDS in conjunction with additional light in dark conditions (only red?)? How much more ARE the adjustable RDS vs. self-adjusting? If set up a pistol for a bedside gun(meaning WML, dark/black house environment), do I really need the RMR RM06 or the H1/T1 ? I'm still a little confused on this...

JimH

Oh, I forgot to add....For the adjustable RDS, how is each one adjusted(controls)? If I were in a dark room, woken up from sleep, would one way be better then the other?
Thanks!

AsianJedi

He likes RDS on pistols.
VIP
Jim! Here you go:

My favorite RDS are the Aimpoint H1 and the Trijicon RMR RM06. The Aimpoint is larger but offers a wider field of view and the emitter is enclosed. THe RM06 is smaller & lighter, the emitter is not enlcosed. Both are tough as nails though.

Most gunsmiths can turn around the slide between 2 to 8 weeks at the most. Iron should ALWAYS stay. You will need to get suppressor height sights to cowitness. The Smith will do these at the same time. Your choice will be if you want the rear sight fore or aft of the optic. Personally I like the rear sight fore of the rear sight.

I have a RM06 ($600), RMR01($475), RM08 ($425), Aimpoint H1 ($600), Deltapoint ($425), and a Jpoint ($280). I am a rds junkie. If I was left with only one RDS I would pick the H1 for the reasons listed above. This limits you to either buy a pre-milled slide from Unity Tactical or sending the slide to Mark Housel at L&M Precision to mill it for the Unity Tactical mount. If the H1 is too big for your taste then the RM06 is the way to go.

Colors: Red or Amber. Amber washes out in bright light. An adjustable RDS in RED is the best in my opinion. In a dark situation these are the best options. If you go self adjusting, I think the deltapoint is best for a constant dot in dark conditions.

The H1/T1 has a dial on the side to adjust it. If you leave it on the 8 setting all the time you will be able to handle most situations. The RM06 has soft button tabs on either side for adjustments. Play with it to find what you prefer. It is also left on all the time. Which is better is up to you.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

AsianJedi

He likes RDS on pistols.
VIP
Outstanding. Please feel free to reach out here (as I believe your questions mirror others out there) or the Book of the Face any time.

tact

I've had the auto and manual adjusting RMRs in both the 3.25 and 6.5 sizes. I think application should be considered when choosing the RMR. I personally, prefer a smaller dot. For carry, I prefer the 3.5 always on auto RMR. I don't want the dot somehow adjusting on me while I'm carrying and I like knowing it's always on and can't be turned off. For other uses the manual adjusting option is nice.

JimH

Thank you. That's what I needed to find out. Sounds like there's a RM06 in the future...
Thanks again.
20181208_114118_resized.jpg

It only took 4 (or so) years to finally get one........
My question to you, Mr. AsianJedi;
Having been 4 years since you wrote these articles (time sure flies sometimes), has your perspective changed? Also, if you were to write these two articles again, what would you change in them?
I really like this gen5/RMR06 combination, and it is now my EDC.
Thanks again for the great advice.